Profile for mickeysfriend > Reviews

Joseph Joseph 30 x 40 cm USA Gastronomy Worktop saver
Joseph Joseph 30 x 40 cm USA Gastronomy Worktop saver
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent gift, 25 Nov 2013
Bought this as a gift for my friend who loves to cook, loves stylish/arty things and enjoys visiting the States. When it arrived it was so nice I nearly kept it for myself! Good quality glass, nice bright colours. Very attractive, solid piece of glass to use for heat protection/cutting/display or many other purposes. Excellent product.

Zyliss Heavy Duty Kitchen Scissors
Zyliss Heavy Duty Kitchen Scissors
Offered by Lakeland
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice sharp scissors, 25 Nov 2013
These arrived promptly, well packaged and as described. They are nice and sharp, clean well and easily. I was worried that the package opening blade on the handle might prove hazardous but very cleverly it is not sharp like the blades of the scissors, just pointed enough for packing tape. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Thai Taste Gaeng Leung Pak Tai Yellow Curry Paste 200 g (Pack of 6)
Thai Taste Gaeng Leung Pak Tai Yellow Curry Paste 200 g (Pack of 6)
Price: 11.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant paste, 28 Sep 2013
This yellow curry paste is delicious and versatile. I was really pleased with the packaging, delivery & the product is great. Very happy with my purchase.

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
by Deb Perelman
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, annoying UK version, 11 Mar 2013
I love the Smitten Kitchen blog, and this book is the site's perfect companion - gorgeous photos, food that makes you hungry just to read about, and a winningly friendly style of writing. I love that there are a handful of recipes from the blog but the majority were created by Deb just for this book. I have already cooked and enjoyed a few of the recipes and am planning to cook many more!

Sadly, Deb has been a bit let down by her UK publisher. There's a typo in the very first recipe (that I am certain she would be appalled to see!), some of the adaptations are annoying - for example the "Marshmallow cake" recipe is clearly a S'mores cake. The whole recipe only makes sense if you explain that there is an American treat called a S'more that's a US campfire tradition involving a marshmallow, chocolate and graham cracker/UK digestive biscuit. But rather than just add a note on those lines, the publishers have substituted some of the words and ingredients, but not explained why these things go together. There are other examples too like the "Wotsits" reference to cheese crackers that another review mentioned.

It's also sad to see that on some pages (normally where a UK adjustment has been made I think) the last sentence of a page will be repeated at the top of the next page, or the ingredients list runs into the next item without a space, or similar small errors. They're not dealbreakers, they don't stop this cookbook being wonderful and much-loved, but Deb is so meticulous in her presentation of her blog, it's sad the UK publisher couldn't get the book properly proofed and properly adapted.

In spite of these small annoyances, this is still a wonderful cookbook with some incredible recipes (fig, olive oil and sea salt challah bread, raspberry chocolate rugelach, mini meatloaves with tomato glaze, butternut and onion galette). There's a good balance of recipes that are savoury or sweet, meat-based or vegetarian, baking or cooking.

If you're not familiar with the Smitten Kitchen blog, the author has a very chatty and informal style. She is not a chef, nor does she pretend to be perfect. The book has notes that explain how she was distracted by her young son, desperate to cut down on the washing up involved, or not disappoint her mother. This book will inspire you to cook. Deb's notes will give you confidence that what you're cooking will be tasty and the photos will leave you bookmarking more and more pages for future meals and snacks!

Aeroxon Clothes Moth Trap
Aeroxon Clothes Moth Trap
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent trap, 8 Oct 2012
Very pleased with this moth trap. We use it in a wardrobe where we had a problem with moths eating our clothes and were pleased to see 5 moths caught on the trap after a couple of weeks.

We used these together with some hanging sachets of powder to drive the moths away, and have had no noticeable problems since. Product was quickly delivered, easy to set up, and effective. We will keep using them and I recommend them to others.

Belkin Impulse Line Slim Back Pack For Notebooks Up To 15.6', Aubergine/grape. F8n156eaOBD

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new laptop bag!, 8 Oct 2012
I didn't think this would be much good at such a low price, but I am really pleased with this bag. It is good quality with well-sewn seams etc. Inside is roomy with good padding for my laptop.

Only thing I dislike is that there is no velcro or flap to hold the laptop in place securely, but I have sewn a velcro strip on which takes care of it.

Delivery was fast and product was well packaged. Very pleased!

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 1000 One-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies) (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Premier Products
Price: 50.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent brush, but a bit slow to charge up, 8 Oct 2012
I am delighted with this toothbrush. I have been using the Braun Oral-B 500 for the last few years and was very pleased with it. I decided to upgrade to a newer model when the battery started to wear out. This newer model runs at a higher oscillation speed, and is noticeably faster.

The pressure sensor is a very noticeable bright red light on the top of the handle, nearest the brush. I am astonished by how sensitive it is! Other reviewers had said it was hard to trigger it, but I found it lit up several times each time I brushed. I am now learning how to angle the brush and not to press into my teeth as much as I needed to with the older model. I am surprised by how helpful I found this function.

The only down-side is that it takes 17 hours to fully charge. The manual says that you need to do a full charge the first time you use it, and that it is good to run the battery totally flat once every 6 months or so. It is impossible (the manual says) to over-charge the brush, so I guess the sensible thing to do is to charge it before it gets anywhere near empty, to avoid having a night without being able to use the brush. The manual says that the charge will last a full week brushing twice a day for 2 mins, but I suspect with cleaning etc that will be slightly optimistic.

However, this is a really excellent product. My teeth feel much cleaner than they did with the 500 model, the buttons are easy to find but not overly sensitive - I have not yet accidentally turned it off! I like the one-mode setting, as I decided I would not be likely to use the other modes regularly, and now I am using it I am sure I can just be more gentle in movements should I decide I have a sensitive area.

I would highly recommend this brush to others who want a good, straightforward brush with excellent cleaning and easy use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2012 12:58 PM BST

Kitchen Craft Master Class Cast Heavy Duty Garlic Press
Kitchen Craft Master Class Cast Heavy Duty Garlic Press
Price: 12.18

4.0 out of 5 stars efficient but heavy, 7 July 2012
I bought this garlic press a couple of months ago when our old, much used one finally broke. It is nicely made, and is extremely efficient at getting the most from the clove, with very little uncrushed garlic remaining in the head after you squeeze.

However, it is extremely heavy and (as the picture shows) does not have any padding. You do need some good hand/arm strength to use this crusher. My mother, who is only in her fifties, found that she could not use this garlic press as her hands were not strong enough. She needed a lighter, more cushioned one and so she bought an OXO good grips model which is far easier for her to use.

If you have strong hands, this is a good press. But if you have any arthritic problems, or small hands, weak wrists etc then I would say this is not the model for you.

IPHONE 4 & 4S PURPLE PU LEATHER POCKET POUCH COVER CASE BY CELLAPOD CASES
IPHONE 4 & 4S PURPLE PU LEATHER POCKET POUCH COVER CASE BY CELLAPOD CASES
Offered by Cellapod
Price: 3.25

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good case, 1 Feb 2012
I didn't expect very much for the price, and bought this as a temporary cover case for my new iphone 4S. It is a nice colour of purple, has a pull-tab to help the phone pop out of the cover when you want it, and the magnet that keeps the closure tab in place works well.

Now that I have had it for a couple of months the case is starting to wear, and to my surprise it actually is getting nicer to hold and use as the leather softens. I know it says it is leather but I didn't expect it to be at this price! The stitching is still intact and it looks to be well made. The colour is still good and consistent with no flaking or cracking so far.

The only downside I can give is that this case is open at the top (as pictured) and so dust/fluff does get in, but it's hardly a big deal and is a problem for all cases like this.

Really happily surprised!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2012 2:10 PM GMT

Card Games For Dummies
Card Games For Dummies
by Omar Sharif
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great, useful, helpful., 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: Card Games For Dummies (Paperback)
Really clear explanations for the games and a good range of different kinds of game. We found it really helpful to have clear guides for games where we half-remembered the rules - saved a lot of arguing about which hand beats which in Poker!

Page: 1 | 2