Profile for M. Webb > Reviews

Content by M. Webb

M. Webb

The Field of Swords (Emperor Series, Book 3)
The Field of Swords (Emperor Series, Book 3)
by Conn Iggulden

4.0 out of 5 stars what?, 27 Feb. 2013
I'm about halfway through this and I'm enjoying it, but at one point Julius Caesar uses a telescope. A telescope? They must have edited out the chapter where he travelled through time to get one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2013 4:00 PM GMT

King's Man (Outlaw Chronicles)
King's Man (Outlaw Chronicles)
by Angus Donald

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed emotions, 10 Sept. 2012
I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this series of books. Angus Donald is not a great author. Some of his writing is poor. Some of it doesn't make sense. For example, in this book, one of the characters makes a loud noise under his breath. Which...shouldn't be possible..? His books are riddled with little snippets like that which have the effect of stopping my reading dead while I try to work out what he's talking about.

And yet, I do get enjoyment from reading them. I don't find his work as engrossing as, for example, Bernard Cornwell, but I do want to find out what happens. I will probably buy the 4th in the saga, along with any others he writes after that.

All in all, I'd say these are fine enjoyable books, so long as you can ignore the occasional clumsy metaphor and confusing simile.

Olympic Mascots Wenlock Policeman Figurine
Olympic Mascots Wenlock Policeman Figurine

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely worrying, 31 May 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
The product specifications section of this item confused me at first.

"Batteries required?: No
Batteries included?: No"

Which seemed a little redundant. Who expects to receive batteries with a product after being informed that none are required?

Then, worryingly:

"Radio Control Suitability: Indoor"

What the fu....? It can be radio controlled? But how? No batteries are included. None are necessary. How is it controlled? With our minds? Or is it the TOY that controls US??

As soon as this arrived in the post, I was immediately overwhelmed by an excrutiating headache. Somehow, I knew that the only way to make the headache go away was to buy more Olympic merchandise.

I now live in a tent in my garden. Luckily, I ordered the version that can only radio control you indoors. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before they are manufactured with the ability to control us under all weather conditions. When that day comes, humanity will be tested to it's ultimate limits.

The Pacific: The Complete HBO Series [DVD] [2010]
The Pacific: The Complete HBO Series [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ James Badge Dale
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars One star raters, 1 July 2011
I just read a few of the 1 star reviews of this DVD. Aside from the people complaining the the subtitle translations were not great, which I can't comment on, I'm seeing a lot of people criticising it for not being as good as Band of Brothers. The fact is that it is different to Band of Brothers, in the same way that the war in the Pacific was totally different to the war in Europe. A lot of people are complaining that there are "no characters." I think this is due to HBO trying to show how the brutal fashion in which the Pacific war was carried out had a dehumanising effect on the troops involved.

Rest assured, this show has the usual quality you expect from an HBO series. It's not an enjoyable watch, becuase of the horrible things that happen in it, but is impressive nonetheless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2011 1:12 PM GMT

The Day Of The Jackal [DVD] [2010] [2003]
The Day Of The Jackal [DVD] [2010] [2003]
Dvd ~ Edward Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars GO MAN GO!, 11 Oct. 2007
A brilliant film which had me on the edge of my seat all the way through. If you are not willing on the killer with every ounce of your being by the end of the film you're not human in my opinion.