Profile for D. Vere-dresser > Reviews

The Devil Rides Out [DVD] [1968]
The Devil Rides Out [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil Rides Out [DVD] [1968], 21 Sept. 2013
Tried it out on the Mac Pro, and due to some up-grading still outstanding there wasn't very happy 'cos the picture wasn't produced full screen; however when run on the fusion-memory Mini later pic came up instantly full-screen , and the difference, naturally, was gratifying: the Gotterdammerung kind of ending was somewhat old-fashioned/dated but harking back to the days when I was something of a Denis Wheatley fan came as no great shock, and was in any case in keeping with other scenes in the production. The prancing horse at the denouement was a little 'hard' to take, maybe Mr. Fisher was a little fatigued by that time; always tend to enjoy Christopher Lee in this sort of role.

Bosch Heat Gun PHG 600-3
Bosch Heat Gun PHG 600-3

4.0 out of 5 stars Bosch Heat Gun PHG 600-3, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Bosch Heat Gun PHG 600-3
Altho' this tool hasn't been INTENSIVELY used YET! shortly after it's delivery there was a new 'flying' electrical lead to make up and after fitting both plugs found that one had the concentric plastic 'neck' externally and its diameter wasn't QUITE large enough to take the cable: I REALLY DIDN'T WISH TO SHORTEN THE NECK to get to a slightly larger diameter for the cable. Heaven sent chance to check this thing out: lowest ahem! GENTLEST setting and after only a few moments task finished and done ... dead 'chuffed'. Looking forward to the future when it can be tasked with some really demanding exercises - don't have any concerns in my mind on that score.

Office 2011 for Macintosh: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Office 2011 for Macintosh: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by Chris Grover

4.0 out of 5 stars Office 2011 for Macintosh Missing Manual Chris Grover, 4 Sept. 2011
Let's be honest ... this isn't the kind of thing one sits down to read in the same kind of way one does for a Tom Clancy thriller: I generally buy these to use as a reference when once I've got over the initial/inevitable questions arising from becoming familiar to some degree with new software: as a result of this policy there are five missing manuals on my bookshelves now and they are regarded as essential as an arm or a leg; wouldn't wish to be without any one of them!!! And Office 2011 ... (the most recent acquisition) simply reinforces my sense of good judgement.
Being mortal myself - and therefore necessarily (slightly less than perfect) - I reckon helped me discern the merit of David Pogue's initial venture, on the basis that 'it takes one to recognise one' 'nuff said !?

Windows 7: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Windows 7: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by David Pogue

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows7 Missing Manual by David Pogue, 23 May 2011
Smashing: having decided when I really finally get around to install a version of Windows on my Apple Pro set-up even tho' XPro is very good 7 already is for me constructing the impression of being better as I currently run it on on an (by comparison) grossly underpowered notebook, when I still tend to rub my eyes even after the passage of a fair period of time when I see how it chomps through tasks and at the same time and rather like a NATIVE APPLE software system helping me avoid the sort of nasty surprise all too often encountered in the very early days of Microsoft software when I really suffered, believe me.
So, to get down to brass tacks, have mainly only needed to use Pogue's 'little masterpiece' as a reference, after the initial inevitable business of going through early parts with a few high-lighters just so's there a few 'sign-posts' for the odd occasion when this traveller might need them.

In other words, highly reccomended which I see all too often included in on-line references to Mr. Pogues handiwork!

QuickBooks 2010: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
QuickBooks 2010: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by Bonnie Biafore

4.0 out of 5 stars QuickBooks 2010Missing Manual by Bonnie Biafore, 23 May 2011
Have used Intuits' Quicken for many years, both for personal expenses and income and when running my small company, and found it extremely at that time very useful: however, being something of a nit-picker and with Quicken effectively effectively vacated the shelves in the U.K. decided on QuickBooks for a change, finding out in the process why it is preferred by Accountants and others. What proved also most useful for me was the excellent advice that Bonnie offered in setting things up, easing somewhat the pressures on those new to accountancy practices and helping bestow a modicum of self-confidence in situations where one might otherwise tend to feel a trifle lost and confused.

Would on the basis of my personal acquaintance certainly reccomend putting it on any short-list you may be preparing.

Planet Earth: Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray]
Planet Earth: Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough

4.0 out of 5 stars David Attenborough's "Planet Set" for Blu-ray., 26 Jan. 2011
Altho' I have had time only to view Lions & Snow Leopards on one of the five discs, and "the Great Plains" on another and am especially impressed by the manifest patience of the teams putting it all together, my duties as effective Curator of the old Barons' stone-built fortress (more than seven hundred years old) regrettably means my impatience to enjoy more will have, regrettably, to be disciplined; perhaps, in what is in so many respects an impatient age this is not necessarily in itself a bad thing. Perchance the next viewing will mean I savour it even more, tho' saying that brings to mind the old expression of "bursting with happiness" --- am a little concerned about there being sufficient space to allow it without serious damage being caused.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by David Pogue

5.0 out of 5 stars David Pogue's Manuals, 8 Nov. 2010
Indispensable ... especially when one runs into problems to do with the different features of varying keyboardes produced by Apple during the past: I sleep far more easily knowing it occupies that slot on my shelves!

Staedtler Triplus Fineliner 334 SB20 Tips Desktop Box - Assorted Colours (Pack of 20)

4.0 out of 5 stars STAEDTLER Triplus Fine-liner set (20), 8 Nov. 2010
Excellent ... just what I'd been looking for: the colours don't bleed through to the other face of the paper page on which they've been used, and while generally noticeable during review the colours for MY taste are noticeable without difficulty without being loud or obtrusive.

Only one minor caveat, resulting in the failure of a five-star rating ... the only Yellow pen is not sufficiently noticeable: whereas for example, there are THREE differing greens, providing not only sufficient strength for ready identification but also allowing each to be used for differing codifications.

Finally the case is really useful, as it permits more-often used pens to stand with their heads above the case aiding access.

Birtwistle: The Minotaur [DVD] [2010]
Birtwistle: The Minotaur [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sir Harrison Birtwistle

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrison Birtwistle's MINOTAURE - ROH Covent Gdn., 4 Sept. 2010
Excellent - confirms for me my long-standing appreciation of Birtwistle's vast talent: surely a true composer for our time in history.

3m 3 Meters Remote Switch Control Shutter Cable with Locking for Sony alpha A100 A200 A300 A350 A400 A450 A700 A900 A500 A550 A850 A33,A55, Minolta Dynax

5.0 out of 5 stars 3M cable release for my SONY A850, 27 Mar. 2010
Fantastic bit of gear, so far as I'm concerned, as a keen tho' amateur photographer, and once the proud owner of a BRONICA MEDIUM FORMAT (roll film)camera with a fair selection of goodies inc. 35mm back, prism & 200mm telephoto suppl. lens. The cable release for the SONY fitted the camera so snugly I found myself taking great care in carefully aligning it with the connection before pushing it VERY GENTLY home. A review I'd consulted on-line suggested the cable might be found thick & cumbersome - NOT THE CASE for this one-time LG Architect -- now retired :-) -- and with plenty of critical project supervision beneath his belt.

'Dead chuffed' is the first expression coming into my mind" having successfully carried out a self portrait with the A850 tripod-mounted in the snug study of the Baron's old fortress nowadays shelterling me; the cable at FULL extension.

Page: 1 | 2