ARRAY(0xa9ea072c)

Honorary Consul Pattaya
Honorary Consul Pattaya
Price: 4.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the average book about Pattaya, 18 Feb 2014
As a regular visitor to Pattaya over the last 10 years I am always keen to read books about this sleazy but fascinating and addictive Thai resort city. Most cover predictable themes like "I was ripped off by a gogo dancer" or "innocent and spent 10 years in an awful Thai prison" .
Barry Kenyon's book relates his experiences as British Honorary Consul dealing with the many and varied problems encountered by Brits living or spending a holiday in Pattaya, some amusing and some tragic. These problems Barry neatly encapsulates in the phrase "Brits in the Shit" . He details the difficulties they encounter when faced by Thai customs, law, police and bureaucracy. Sometimes Barry's job, which I think was a labour of love, was not made easier by bureaucracy and penny pinching on the part of the British Embassy in Bangkok.
I enjoyed reading the book which is written in a pleasant and amusing style, particularly when describing some of the characters who form part of the large expat community.
I would say the book is required reading by anyone contemplating retiring to Pattaya and it could be of interest to those, like me, who spend holidays there.

The Man Who Cycled The World
The Man Who Cycled The World
by Mark Beaumont
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars From a cyclists view point, 30 Dec 2011
I received this book as a Christmas present. Its now 30th December and I have finished it having hardly put it down and largely ignored other Christmas related events.
I am a long distance cyclist myself, although not in Mark Beaumont's league or anywhere near it, but I can relate to the chalenges and problems he met in his epic journey.
There was the desire to cover a huge distance each day, resisting the temptation of spending time exploring beautiful and interesting places en route. I can tell you that a 100 miles day after day on a bike takes a hell of a lot of effort.
There was also the fear of mechanical break-down, which can be a major problem when stranded miles from anywhere. I liked his account of these problems and how they were overcome, because I have been there myself. Mark had also to cope down with problems with his engine - his body, under the strain of propelling his bike against the wind, rain, cold and many many hills.
I can also relate to the daily search for somewhere to sleep and the fear of not finding it.
I think this book will appeal very much to touring cyclists.