Profile for Alaia Skyhawk > Reviews

Content by Alaia Skyhawk

Alaia Skyhawk (UK)

Pegasus In Flight (The Talent Series Book 2)
Pegasus In Flight (The Talent Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars dare to dream, 19 Sept. 2013
I love Anne's way of bringing day to day events into her books. you can place yourself in and live them

The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie (with audio recording) (The Guardians of Childhood)

4.0 out of 5 stars For kids of all ages, 25 Mar. 2013
I loved the pictures, can imagine reading it to my granddaughter as she sits on my knee, when she's a bit older

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Game Ever, just got BETTER!, 19 Jun. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Normally I don't write reviews for products, but I felt I HAD to make an exception for this game.

Thirteen years ago a twelve-year-old girl sat down to play this game and was instantly transported to another place, and here in 2011, that now grown woman was just as instantly grabbed when the first glimpse of a now more sinisterly sneering Gannondorf was revealed in the images of opening sequence. Link waking up in his mostly identical-to-the-original house did not prepare me for the awe inspiring moment of stepping out into the Kokiri Forest for the first time. From that moment on, with each new marvel of added detail, the most common word to leave my mouth was "wow" even as a grin of utter enjoyment remained on my face.

Once sparce areas of grass and ground now dotted with upright stems and flowers.

The glory of seeing real hills beyond parts of the boundaries of the explorable areas, instead of flat unyielding walls you couldn't see beyond even from high ground.

The Lost Woods, now looking like a real woodland when you peer up to the canopy overhead.

And, as strange as this might seem... I was particularly piqued when I noticed that at night, light now shines onto the ground from the windows of houses. There are now so many small details that just bring the original even more to life, that weren't there before.

And then there's the revamp of certain locations and rooms in dungeons and the open world. The three I feel I must mention are:

The Temple of Time, for which my jaw literally dropped when I saw how it had gone from a plain hall into a cathedral complete with chandeliers and stone collumns.

The Fishing Pond, which in the original resembled an earthen pit with a pool in the middle, with a flat wall of tree facade above. Yet now it is a glorious landscape, with real trees and plants, and even a WATERFALL to replace the original inoncuous stream coming out of the wall. I sat in there for a good fifteen minutes just using the gyro controls to look around, before I even considered using the fishing rod I'd just hired.

The third place is the last room of the Ice Caverns. For those who remember the original room, with its black walls and repeating pattern of glowing diamond/circles, the transformation is another jaw dropper although I will make no mention of what has been done to it... I wouldn't want to spoil the moment of seeing it for yourselves. This isn't just a remake, this reimagining of a classic is a true work of art.

The story draws you in just as it did back in 1998, all the more endearing for the tweaked animations. The lazy carpenters now literally SKIP around Kakariko (I will never be able to look at them seriously again). And after clearing the Dodongo's Cavern, Darunia now touchingly ruffles Link's hair before delivering two 'friendly pats' on his head... If that scene doesn't make you laugh more than it did the first time after seeing that, then I don't know what will.

All in all, this is definitely a 'must buy' game for both Zelda veterans and newcomers alike. Ocarina of Time isn't just a game, it's an experience, and one that shouldn't be missed.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 7:35 PM BST

Guild Wars: Ghosts of Ascalon
Guild Wars: Ghosts of Ascalon
by Matt Forbeck
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read for any Guild Wars fan!, 31 July 2010
Having waited, fingers twitching in anticipation, to get my hands on this book, I can honestly say it was MORE than worth it. I read this book cover-to-cover in one go, completely unable to put it down due to being totally hooked on it from the moment in chapter one where a certain Sylvari's little walking creation goes "BOOM". The humour of that moment, like many others throughout the story, are the perfect contrast to seriousness of the overall plot.

This is a definite must have, be you a Guild Wars player or just a fan of the fantasy genre... although I can certainly say that Guild Wars players will get the biggest kick out of the many little "inside jokes" regarding the personalities of the various Races.

...Now will I be off to go poke around (uninvited) in a cranky Asura's lab, or shall I go challenge a Norn at the local tavern to a race at the next Alemoot? Hehehehehehe.

Sky Blue [2003] [DVD]
Sky Blue [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mun-saeng Kim

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, no one has reviewed this?, 26 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Sky Blue [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I checked this out on here since I was curious what other people had though of it. I've owned this myself for months and I have to say I consider it a top drawer film. The combination of animated characters and CG works great, with only one or two places I can think of where they didn't quite mesh. The story has a great deal of depth, and the charaters are wonderfully developed with some interesting twists. I'd definitely recommend getting this.