ARRAY(0xac23f514)

Profile for Mr. James R. Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. James R. W...

Mr. James R. Williams

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Formula 1 Technical Analysis 2012/2013
Formula 1 Technical Analysis 2012/2013
by Giorgio Piola
Price: 20.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight., 6 Jan 2014
Absolutely fascinating insight into the technical side of Formula 1 by Formuula1.com's Giorgio Piola. This is my second edition of this series, having also bought Formula 1 Technical Anaysis N2011/2012.

The book covers all of the developments made to the cars over the course of the 2012 season & previews part of the 2013 season in the final 10 or so pages.

There are sections dedicated to engine, suspension, gearbox and engines, aerodynamics, brakes and loads more. Each car has comparisons between it and its predecessors in side by side drawings & comparisons between launch spec and later on in the season too.

There are sections for every team, however Caterham & Marussia have very short sections, presumably due to their lack of updates.

There are also tyre graphs showing you which tyres drivers pitted for during the races and a table showing who supplies components to the cars, the specification of the parts & the wheelbase sizes etc. (E.g. Red Bull had a wheelbase of 3355mm, Ferrari had a wheelbase of 3415mm)

Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360)
Offered by findprice
Price: 18.84

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing., 6 Nov 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I'm a big fan of the Call of Duty series & have played them hundreds and hundreds of hours each. Black Ops 2 was one of the best COD experiences. Call of Duty Ghosts is one of the worst.

Much of the issues are already explained by other people. The awful online connectivity, the bugs, the frame rate, the lag spikes, the textures. The experience is a sour one.

Infinity Ward are proving to be one of the worst "major" games developers in the business. I was willing to give them a chance after one of the worse first person shooter experiences in Modern Warfare 3, honestly it was the worst I have experienced. This is better, but it looks, feels & plays worse than the 2009 game "Modern Warfare 2".

I had it pre-ordered for the Xbox One as well, and before writing this cancelled the pre order. I'm absolutely done with Infinity Ward and their awful games.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2013 9:45 PM GMT

OtterBox Defender Series Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Black
OtterBox Defender Series Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Black
Price: 27.73

1.0 out of 5 stars Too big, 8 Feb 2013
Far too big to use every day. This product protects perfectly well because its about three times as thick as the note 2. for a phone that's already very large I was expecting this case to be much slimmer than it actually is.

The case comes in 4 parts, screen protector, solid plastic case, rubberised outer case to absorb shock and belt clip.

I was under the impression that this case was a single rubber outer case with a screen protector as that was what I was looking for.

what arrived was something that resembles a couriers handset, you know the ones they get you to sign for a package with.

If youre a delivery driver this is the case for you, if youre a normal person like myself then I advise you to get something else
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2013 9:53 PM BST

Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Karl Urban
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Movie of the year, 2012, 9 Jan 2013
This is by far one of the most enjoyable movies of 2012. To hear that it fell short of its estimated box office revenue was absolutely shattering. All parties involved did an immense job making this movie and it deserves to sell well on DVD/Blu Ray, please support this movie by buying a copy.

The acting was superb, perfect for their roles, none of them seemed cheesy, they were awesome. Karl Urban never takes his helmet off during the movie, yet the 1/3 of his face you could see said it all. At one point several judges were standing together, you could tell immediately that Dredd was top Judge, just by the frown. Olivia Thirlby was sublime, not only is she absolutely gorgeous, but she performed well on screen. Her character develops over the course of the movie & I feel it developed perfectly. None of this sudden change of character you get with most action movie. Over the course of the film it seemed like a gradual change from rookie to experienced.

The 3D in this movie was spot on, one of the few examples I've found that show off what 3D can do. One scene in particular, the end death scene shows this.

All in all there's no sub plot, no romance, it's a straight forward action movie set in the near future. Dredd is Judge, jury & executioner, he's locked in a sky city with hundreds of people who want him and his rookie partner dead. Their only objective: get out alive using the tools they have with them.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Ceramic White
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Ceramic White
Price: 391.51

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best phone on the market., 13 Dec 2012
This is by far the best phone on the market and definitely the best phone I've had.

I've upgraded from the HTC Desire HD to the Note 2. I'm sure everyone else has covered everything so I'll outline what I like and don't like.

PROS:

* Amazing design, even though the phone is quite large, it's thin & the thinness of it makes it feel much smaller than it is. It feels like a quality product.

* Super fast, the quad core processor on board will run apps with ease & with the note 2's dual app function, you can run two at the same time on the same screen.

* Battery life: the best battery life you'll get from any smart phone. It even eclipses the battery life of the Apple iPad. Previously my HTC would last a matter of hours of music, web browsing, youtube etc, the Note 2 lasts an entire day on heavy use. I can listen to music during a 10 hour shift at work while browsing the net and watching videos during my lunch break and still have 45% battery.

CONS:

* One handed use is a little tricky, there is an option to enable 1 handed use but if you're holding shopping in one hand and get the phone out with the other, it is a little tricky.

There are no other cons.

All in all, the best phone I'll probably ever have.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2013 9:31 PM GMT

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Clip-On Replacement Battery Cover Flip Case - White
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Clip-On Replacement Battery Cover Flip Case - White
Offered by Crazy Deals Shop
Price: 5.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, protects it well enough but...not brilliant, 4 Dec 2012
Not bad for 16, considering carphone warehouse were trying to sell it to me for 35. But I'm not a fan of this cover at all.

Looking at the phone I realised I might need something to protect the giant screen. So I looked into covers like the smart cover I have for my iPad 2. Unfortunately unlike the iPad 2 this cannot be removed if it's in the way. In the way it is, constantly.

Being right handed I like to hold the phone with my left hand & type or surf with my right, but the added width and dimensions of the cover when open is horrible to hold. Holding the phone without this cover is fine, I can place my hands anywhere, it's nice and thin too. The cover just gets in the way.

The other major issue is keeping it clean, it's awful at staying clean. I've had it for a week & already the edges of the cover are going a bit black from dirt and muck. The inside picks up dust and particles & the front cover of the white one gets dirty all to easy.

I think I'm going to have to ditch this and make do with the phone without a cover, because it's horrible to hold and use. Compared to the iPad 2 cover which is of similar style, this is awful. Using the camera with this is awkward too, because the camera is in the middle you can't have the cover open & tucked around the back, which makes for very awkward picture taking.

MSI HD 7850 Twin Frozr AMD Graphics Card (2GB, PCI-E 3.0 x16)
MSI HD 7850 Twin Frozr AMD Graphics Card (2GB, PCI-E 3.0 x16)

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 26 Nov 2012
As someone that has had very little experience with upgrading computers, I'm over the moon with this buy. Previously all I've done is add a capture card and added a bit of RAM into a laptop.

Easy installation, uninstall old drivers, plop in new card, install & you're done. The process took 25 mins tops.

As for the card it drawfs my old GeForce GT 440. With its dual cooling fans it runs around 30C on mid-idle working & around 40C so far after 2 hours of Skyrim, which it will play without breaking a sweat.

It promises 27db under full load, and delivers, very quiet, I can't tell the difference between this and the tiny single fan of the GT440.

It does take up two slots, so careful if you're running out of space. It requires just one 6 pin power cable which is a positive point, requiring less power & it comes with a Molex to 6 pin adapter if your PSU doesn't have a 6 pin cable like mine didn't.

Overall very good quality, very cool, very quiet & it'll run Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Crysis & most top games on ultra without a problem.

Plantronics 86050-05 Gamecom 380 Gaming Headset
Plantronics 86050-05 Gamecom 380 Gaming Headset
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset, great sound., 22 Nov 2012
Great headset for the price. This is my first headset for the PC, I have a rather expensive pair of Turtle Beach XP500's for my consoles but It cannot be used with PC so I went for a budget pair.

Pleasantly surprised. I love the design, unlike my wireless Turtle Beaches, it's very light and the ear pads aren't heavy or bulky. Provides great bass & sound on all frequencies for a pair that only cost 17.

The ear pads are cushioned with soft foam & the material that sits on your ear has some kind of soft alcantara feel to it. The only issue is that this material picks up dust and particles from clothing really easily, so you're going to need a lint roller for them. This same material is on the head strap to cushion your head, although I cannot comment on this since all headphones give me some discomfort on my head.

The Microphone is clear and easily adjustable without being too sensitive.

All in all probably the best value for money from any headphone/headset I have bought, one thing I do miss when comparing to my Turtle Beaches is the playback of your own voice through the headset. With these on I have no idea how loud I am speaking, so bear in mind more expensive headphones have that feature that really improves the use.

Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by iAlpha Technologies
Price: 13.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best FPS of all time, 8 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is by far the best Halo ever made, if not the best First Person Shooter ever made.

The first game I ever had for Xbox 360 was Halo 3 back in 2006, it was incredible and was for a long time the Xbox 360's feature game. Reach improved on that but Halo 4 took everything to another level.

The online level system is a lot more like your standard Call of Duty multiplayer. You've got two classes to begin with & as you level up with XP for completing challenges and general killing you unlock more slots for classes along with more weapons and abilities.

There are tonnes of armour upgrades to modify your Spartan through levelling up, you can choose to spawn with frag grenades or plasma grenades. There are abilities such as Promethean Vision which lets you see the enemy though walls for a limited time, invisibility, jet pack & more. All of these are unlockable as you level up. As you level up you earn tokens to buy these abilities.

I've barely scratched the surface of the single player as I've been too enthralled in the multiplayer but it too is impressive.

All in all, probably one of the best games I have played for the Xbox 360, probably one of my favourite games of all time after just a few days.

Dishonored (Xbox 360)
Dishonored (Xbox 360)
Offered by rockaway-records
Price: 17.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't disappoint, 12 Oct 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dishonored (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
After two days I love this game. Really enjoyable to play. It's a typical Bethesda game, great plot, you start in jail, great mechanics to go with that.

I recommend it to anyone that has played a Bethesda game before (Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion).

It's not just a sneaky spy game, you can either choose to sneak around, which has its own difficulties, or you can go around killing everything in sight. If you choose to kill everyone you'll find the game changes, it will become harder & pose a new challenge. E.g. sentry turrets & more rats (which will eat you). Never really understood the steam punk thing until now. It's really, really cool.

The only fault, the graphics aren't up to the standard I'd expect from Bethesda.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 10:30 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7