Profile for David Cook > Reviews

David Cook (London, UK)

The Hummingbird and The Bear
The Hummingbird and The Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic tale - a modern classic?, 8 July 2011
Just finished The Hummingbird and the Bear. What a cracking read. Infatuation, adultery, deceit, poverty, desperation, addiction, crime, family dysfunctionality, a car crash, jealousy, rage, blood, bullets, a chase, an escape...and I'd better not spoil the ending. Just hope we don't have to wait as long again for the next one!

Show Me The Sky
Show Me The Sky
by Nicholas Hogg

5.0 out of 5 stars Copy passed on twice already, 31 May 2008
This review is from: Show Me The Sky (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to get a free pre-release copy of this book through a friend who works for a magazine (sorry Amazon!) and was blown away by it.

Started reading on the train on my way home and found myself up until 4am to finish it. The thing that hooked me in at first was the language - so amazingly rich and evocative. I was a bit puzzled at first by how the different storylines were going to come together, but I kept reading and was rewarded with more than one 'aha' moment (and grin) as the plot progressed.

I think different people will probably get different things out of this book. I passed my copy on to my sister whose interpretation was totally different to mine, but she also loved it. And she's now passed it on to one of her friends. Doesn't look like I'll be getting it back!

Came to Amazon today to see if I could get hold of any other books by Nicholas Hogg. Disappointed to find that this is his first and I'll have to wait a while for the next one. Hopefully not too long.

Bionaire BAP615 Air Purifier
Bionaire BAP615 Air Purifier

1.0 out of 5 stars Jump-jet, 15 Oct. 2003
I bought one of these and took it back the next day because of the horrible crackling din - imagine a Harrier Jump-jet hovering a few hundred metres from your house. Uttery unbearable even on so-called sleep mode. :-(