Profile for Mr. D. Jones > Reviews

Mr. D. Jones (UK)

Vindolanda: A Roman Frontier Fort on Hadrian's Wall
Vindolanda: A Roman Frontier Fort on Hadrian's Wall

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 12 May 2015
It depends of course on your interests but if roman history is your thing this book is for you. The author superbly brings to life his families work at Vindolanda. He also succeeds where many fail by making a very academic book extremely interesting and fun to read.

EA Replay (PSP)
EA Replay (PSP)

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value for tremendous gameplay, 6 Aug. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EA Replay (PSP) (Video Game)
How I long for the days of programmers focusing on gameplay first with graphics as the added bonus. The problem with the consoles of today, I think, is programmers get caught up in creating lush visuals before the actual gameplay has been properly tested and sorted. This title takes us back to time when gameplay was king. All the titles on this UMD disc were classic Sega Megadrive among other platform, games. I purchased this out of a great desire to play the games I loved as a teenager, Desert Strike & Jungle Strike.

I read the other reviews on Amazon and prepared myself for a disappointment. How could games written 20 years ago stand up to todays amazing offerings? Through addictive gameplay, well structured levels and great fun graphics. Just focusing on Desert Strike alone. For those of you who don't know. You pilot an Apache back in the Gulf, this game came out not long after the first Gulf War. All your missions take place on the coast and involve you planning your missions carefully. You may have to rescue UN staff from their embassy or attack a Madmans yacht. None of these things are simple tasks and you have to plan who your co-pilot is, how your going to approach the target, what weapons to use and what route you'll use to get out. Its outstanding stuff.

Let me compare it to a similar title released in 2006, Super Hind. This is a very similar game, you pilot a Hind chopper on missions over land and sea, the graphics are brilliant but there's just no heart to it. You don't fully engage, because in my opinion the designers spent more time on the looks and nowhere near enough on the gameplay.

In short, if you have a PSP, buy this game. Just for Desert Strike, it really is that worth it. But dont expect wonderful graphics, approach it as a history lesson as to how things used to be. These games shaped the titles that sell so well today, before programmers forgot about making sure the game was fun and engaging before they wrapped it in beautiful graphics. Buy this game and develop a greater understanding of the world we live in today, don't get sucked in by how things look, what does that matter? Its whats underneath that counts....

And I've not even spoken about Jungle Strike, Road Rash 1-3, Wing Commander, BOB, Mutant League Football.....

De'Longhi EC710 15-Bar Espresso/Cappuccino Maker, Stainless Steel
De'Longhi EC710 15-Bar Espresso/Cappuccino Maker, Stainless Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, excellent coffee, 26 Dec. 2010
My wife and I have looked long and hard at coffee makers over the last few months. Whilst we were tempted with the kudos of a Gaggia, the price (and skill we are told is needed to use) made us look elsewhere. We settled on Delonghi and purchased the EC710. It produces superb expresso with an excellent creme, with only a little concentration. It quickly produces steam for cappucino and creates a really authentic drink. I am a coffee lover and I believe I have a good palate for quality made coffee, this machine in my opinion produces a great quality coffee. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys coffee and is prepared to put in a little effort (and it is a little) for a wonderful result. It certainly puts a smile on my face! Every time I make a cup!

Breville VKJ142 Hot Cup
Breville VKJ142 Hot Cup

1.0 out of 5 stars Promised much but delivered little.., 26 Oct. 2010
I love gadgets and thought this would be wonderful. It promises much on the box but fails to deliver on all levels. It is extremely noisy, it doesnt boil the water and it leaked, badly, after 10 days of purchase. The idea is brilliant but sadly to get the quality I think you'll need to spend alot more. Buy a kettle!

Christmas With Marty Robbins
Christmas With Marty Robbins

5.0 out of 5 stars At last I've found it!!, 11 Mar. 2010
I purchased this album for one song and I promise you its worth it! Christmas Kisses has haunted my memory for years after hearing it every christmas as a child. This year I decided to try and find it and here it is! The album itself is full of old 50's charm and Christmas cheer. It takes me and my family back to a time where the world was a better place and everyone believed in Santa. Its nostalgic, wonderfully sung christmas cheer. Buy it! You wont regret it.

Little Christmas Tree
Little Christmas Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars This song IS Christmas!, 11 Mar. 2010
After hearing this song as a child whilst putting up decorations on an album that was as much part of christmas for my family as christmas dinner, it has and always will be christmas for me. Whats wonderful about it in my opinion is its so different to so many other christmas tunes. Great lyrics, beautiful tune, a must for any christmas compilation. Merry Christmas everybody!

The Gladiator (Eagles of the Empire)
The Gladiator (Eagles of the Empire)
by Simon Scarrow

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read......, 11 Mar. 2010
A number of years ago I read my first Scarrow novel immediately after an Iggulden. I have to say to me it was like comparing a tabloid with a broadsheet. Scarrow is a much easier read but lacks the content of an Iggulden offering. This has most certainly changed over the last few years and in my opinion this is one of the best in this series. It is an extremely easy read and will most certainly feed your hunger for the characters and Roman life, it definately led me to wanting more but after reading all of Scarrows Roman offerings I can never decide if thats more Scarrow or more Rome. In summary this is a well written book and one that I enjoyed, but I couldnt help feeling I should be enjoying it more.

Madden NFL 2010 (PSP)
Madden NFL 2010 (PSP)

4.0 out of 5 stars Madden Rocks again, 29 Aug. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Madden NFL 2010 (PSP) (Video Game)
I have been playing Madden games since their release on the Mega Drive more years ago than I care to remember. I recently purchased a PSP for my daughters (honest) and saw this game released for the PS3 and was interested. I havent seen this game anywhere in the shops, probably given the PSP's unpopularity (which I dont understand!).

So I downloaded the game directly from Sony and I havent been disappointed! Graphics are outstanding, gameplay is as good as the PS2 versions with loads of new features to enjoy. Specifically the play creator, where you can create your own playbook and plays. The only critisism I would have is the difference between the all-pro and all madden levels where the difficulty seems to increase much more than expected, I seem to fit in between these two levels! I would strongly recommend this game for depth of gameplay, quality graphics and an all round quality game.

Henry: Virtuous Prince
Henry: Virtuous Prince
by David Starkey

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Poor, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Henry: Virtuous Prince (Paperback)
I have the utmost respect for David Starkey. I really enjoy his TV shows and have read other of his books. I purchased this in hardback and was immediately shocked and felt slightly conned at the lack of text on each page. The font is set well in and is bigger than you would find than in a Weir or Gregory offering. I read this book on the back of a number of other Henry books namely 'The Six Wives of Henry viii' by Weir and also Frasers same offering. In my opinion Starkeys work does not come anywhere near the standard offered by these two. I honestly believe Mr Starkeys name alone got this book printed. Whislt it is informative, it is too short and it lacks alot of the depth I picked up from other similar works. Such a shame....