Profile for Mr. SJ Hill > Reviews

Content by Mr. SJ Hill

Mr. SJ Hill "The Dark Templar" (England)

The Painted Man (The Demon Cycle, Book 1): 1/3 (Demon Cycle 1)
The Painted Man (The Demon Cycle, Book 1): 1/3 (Demon Cycle 1)
by Peter V. Brett
Price: 7.80

5.0 out of 5 stars A new contender for the title!, 7 Sep 2011
Being a long time fantasy and sci fi reader, I have to say there have been times where my aprehension on reading a book by a new author has been well founded...in this case however, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Being a big, big fan of the likes of David Gemmell, the last new titles I read (and enjoyed) were Brent Weeks the Night Angel Trilogy. I picked up The Painted Man solely based upon a review I read from Brent Weeks upon this book...and all praise sung for this book is extremely well deserved.

Following Arlen from his troubled youth through his aprrentiship years to the man he becomes is a journey where the author really examines the many different faces of fear and how different people react to it. The book is written in a way that makes you very reluctant to put it down. I found myself making excuses to continue reading this when I should have been doing other things...(such as eating and stuff)...

Very good work Mr Brett. Bring on Desert Spear!!!

The Last Guardian (Jon Shannow Novel)
The Last Guardian (Jon Shannow Novel)
by David Gemmell
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars The Jerusalem Man rides on in style...., 28 July 2011
I have read all of Gemmells books. In my opinion, Gemmell's ability to make you visualise the worlds he creates are astounding. He has been lauded for many characters in his books (Druss particularly) but I would have to say that Jon Shannow is definitely on a pinnacle for me, and this book continues the Dark World of the jerusalem Man in epic fashion!!

The biblical references that Gemmell adapts for the books are incredible and you cannot help being drawn further in with each line. The more you read, the more Gemmell tightens his grip on your senses. Time paradoxes, Magic, Sacrifice, Love, Loss - this series has the lot. And I would have to say if you asked me to pick a favourite book in the series this is the one. Keep your pistols primed and loaded...Jerusalem may be over the next rise...

Dragons of the Hourglass Mage (The Lost Chronicles)
Dragons of the Hourglass Mage (The Lost Chronicles)
by Margaret Weis

5.0 out of 5 stars The master of past and present returns in full glory...., 11 Dec 2009
I have been a fan of Dragonlance since it's release and finally the Weis/Hickman duo have released the most anticipated tale there is. And boy is it a scorcher. Raistlin Majere, Master of Past and Present, his internal and external battles with the lich Fistandantilus and the depths of his dark ambitions are all explored within this book. I find one of the most compelling aspects of the character is the tiny spark of light within him which is contantly fighting to remain alight within the dark recesses of his tormented soul. I can never read enough about the mage with the Hourglass Eyes and I cannot reccomend these books highly enough. If the tales of Raistlin are for you then I also highly recommend Soulforge and Brothers in Arms as "Must haves" this festive season.

"Shirak..."