Profile for Paul Dean > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TVonics DTR-Z500HD Freeview HD Recorder
TVonics DTR-Z500HD Freeview HD Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great British, YES, British built product!, 31 July 2013
Had this unit a week and so I am now in a position to give a review.

First thing you notice is the small size, about half the size of most other recorders. The second thing is just how solidly built it is.

Initial setup was easy and trouble free. Note that both the manual and quick start guide are printed in the UK. So no trouble with confusing translated English instructions.

When it is on it makes no noise at all. There is no fan and the hard drive is as silent as a mouse. The controls are pretty straight forward and the unit responds instantly to commands. The only slight niggle is the initial start up time of about 30 seconds which another reviewer has mentioned. So don't keep pressing the on/off button thinking it has not turned on. This is a very minor point and to be frank the only negative thing that I can find to put into this review.

So far the unit has recorded every program required without any problems. Picture and sound quality are excellent.

For the price this unit cannot be matched and the best thing is that it is made in the UK. So come on support British manufacturing - you will not be disappointed!

PS
Come on Pulse-Eight be proud, display on the packaging that this is made in the UK!

Pifco P44009S PTC Portable Fan Heater, 500 W - Silver
Pifco P44009S PTC Portable Fan Heater, 500 W - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Heater, 27 Oct. 2012
Some years ago Micromark produced a 500w fan heater that was excellent for very small rooms. The two I had lasted for many years until both expired. Since then I have looked in vain for other low wattage fan heaters without success. So it was a complete suprise when I came upon this model from Pifco.

Ordered one which arrived yesterday. The most noticible thing is its size, it is tiny, so ideal for a small room where space is really at a premium. Heat output is good due to its small sized heating element coupled with an 8cm fan which produces a narrow but very warm flow of air. There is just one switch for on/off, nothing else.

Noise is not to bad. When compared to my other two larger fan heaters, the Pifco sits in the middle as regards this issue. The only mark I would put against it is that the on/off switch is situated on the back rather than on the top.

Overall then this appears to be an excellent little heater for a small room and importantly in these times of ever rising energy prices cheap to run.

I think its great and so I am going to order two more. Well done Pifco

Time to Turn
Time to Turn

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to Turn... up the volume!, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Time to Turn (Audio CD)
How strange that this band were never more well known like Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis or for that matter Tangerine Dream. Stylish keyboard and guitar work combined with a great rhythm section give them a very unique sound. I remember listening to them first in the early 1980s when the manager of my local record shop said "have a listen to this". I purchased this album there and then.

From start to finish it is a brilliant album. Difficult to pick out one track to mention as they are all good, something that is rare when you buy an album. However, End Of An Odyssey with its 3 to 4 minute intro probably takes the crown. A superb album and truly worthy of 5 stars.

If you have never listened to Eloy or for that matter even heard of them, give this album a spin.

The Christmas Album (Deluxe Edition)
The Christmas Album (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by Book-Emporium

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the BBC rubbish above!, 9 Dec. 2011
I totally agree with Jeff Carter's review above. I must have listened to a different album than the BBC reviewer.

Quote: "However, under Prizeman's pen, a programme that on paper looks stylistically wide-ranging has become a homogenous mass of smooth, sweet, limp sentimentality, heavy on the keyboards and unable to shake off an all-pervasive air of being over-produced." It's as though they've been told, "Sing as you imagine a chorister should sound, but with a hint of boyband, too. It's soft, occasionally breathy, sweet and smooth, with the odd portamento thrown in for good measure. It lacks the clear, true, crisp boyish exuberence produced by the trebles of top UK cathedral choirs such as Westminster Abbey, King's College, Cambridge or Wells Cathedral choirs, whose own Christmas discs will provide much longer-lasting listening pleasure."

What utter rubbish, Libera are Libera. That is what I and many thousands more like about them. They have their own sound and style which is unique. That surely is something to be commended, not scorned upon. They have taken choral music into the 21st century and given it popular appeal.

I presume this is the same BBC reviewer as the one that derided their Peace album (must be one of the - The only music is classical music brigade). I just cannot see the point in reviewing an album when you so blatantly do not like them, it just seems pointless.

I do not like 99.9% of classical music - it is dull, dreary, and goes on far to long. So what would be the point in me reviewing the vast majority of classical albums - none!

Now I have that rant out of the way on to the album. It is superb like the rest of their albums, beautiful harmonies and stunning solos. Stand out song for me is Veni, Veni Emmanuel, wonderful, spine tingling stuff.

If you are unsure about buying the album, don't be, it is fabulous.

Just for the record I do not work for EMI!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 11:55 PM GMT

Going for the One
Going for the One

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best, Yes!, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Going for the One (Audio CD)
A wonderous album. Probably my favourite Yes album. All five tracks are great with the superb 'Awaken' as the closing tour de force. Awaken is definitely the finest piece of music that Yes produced. When Rick Wakeman plays those quiet notes on the St. Martins, Vevey church organ, it always takes me back to the 70's and that wonderful era of prog rock. If you could only pick one piece of music to represent that time then I feel it has to be this piece, it is truly magnificent.

Music like this may get slated by critics but this is in my view the classical music of the modern era and will always be popular no matter what the generation.

Oxygene - 30th Anniversary + 2D DVD
Oxygene - 30th Anniversary + 2D DVD
Offered by BestSellerRecordshop

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Top Ten albums of all time?, 28 Oct. 2011
I remember when this album was first released and the impact that it had at the time. It was just such a unique sound, nobody had done anything like this.

35 years on and it still sounds great, an album that I never tire of listening to. This is an album that should be in everyones record collection.

If you do not already own this album and are unsure as to whether to buy just the CD or this package of CD/DVD then go for this one. The DVD is worth the price alone with its live concert and interviews about the album and instruments used. If you already own the CD but are not sure about this package then buy it, you will not be disappointed.

My title for this review is 'One of the Top Ten albums of all time'. Is it, yes, I firmly believe it can lay claim to that title because of impact that it had at the time and its timeless popularity. A truly great piece of music.

Tonerider AC4 Alnico IV Classic Humbucker Set - Gold
Tonerider AC4 Alnico IV Classic Humbucker Set - Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rock Pickups, 26 Sept. 2011
I decided after reading reviews on many sites to purchase this set to replace the Seymour Duncan's on my Epiphone Les Paul which I have never been really happy about.

I had wanted a set of Bare Knuckle pickups as these sounded great on their website and produced exactly the tone that I wanted, but sadly they are out of my price range.

The old saying 'you get what you pay for' is so true and so I thought long and hard about buying this Tonerider set with the two costing less than one from Bare Knuckle. However I have been pleasantly suprised, they are great. They produced a lovely warm tone which is very clear and I am very happy with them. They are far better than my Seymour Duncan's.

If I could afford them I would opt for Bare Knuckle pickups, but if like me you cannot then these Tonerider AC4 pickups are the one to go for. For the price, they are fantastic.

Anthology 1975-1984
Anthology 1975-1984

5.0 out of 5 stars Ronnie James Dio, 30 July 2010
This review is from: Anthology 1975-1984 (Audio CD)
I debated as to whether I should give this five stars or not. The reason for that is that Disc One is but Disc Two sadly is not. Rainbow after Ronnie James Dio was just not Rainbow. Yes they were great live, but their new material wasn't. The only track from Disc Two worth mentioning is Eyes of the World which does have that trademark Rainbow style of the Dio period. The leaving of Ronnie James Dio was definitely Rainbow's loss, but Black Sabbath's gain.

The great Rainbow tracks are all here on Disc One - Man on the Silver Mountain, Sixteenth Century Greensleeves, Kill the King, A Light in the Black and the monumental Stargazer, surely one of the greatest rock tracks ever.

In the end I have given the album, based on Disc One, five stars as a mark of respect for Ronnie James Dio - sadly gone, but will never be forgotten.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2010 11:45 PM BST

Heaven and Hell
Heaven and Hell

5.0 out of 5 stars Headbangers Heaven, 30 July 2010
This review is from: Heaven and Hell (Audio CD)
My very first concert was Black Sabbath on the 1980 Heaven and Hell tour. I was deaf for about two days after, but that concert is one I will never forget, just brilliant.

Well Black Sabbath after Ozzy, was it possible?

The answer to that is yes. Personally I think that this is Black Sabbath's best album. I know many will not agree with me, but if you take the album as a whole and not just individual tracks, then I think it can lay claim to that title. What was lost to the band with the leaving of Ozzy was more than made up for by the addition of Ronnie James Dio, who for me lies just behind Brad Delp as the greatest rock singer ever.

The album itself is as good now to listen to as it was 30 years ago and I think ranks as one of the best Heavy Metal albums of all time. Pick of the tracks is difficult but I will go with the title track because of the thumping fast paced ending with some great guitar work from Tony Iommi.

Eye In The Sky: 25th Anniversary Edition (Remastered/Expanded)
Eye In The Sky: 25th Anniversary Edition (Remastered/Expanded)

5.0 out of 5 stars Old And Wise, 30 Jun. 2010
You use to hear excerpts from this album on the television quite often. I wonder how many people listening actually knew who the music was by. The Alan Parsons Project is one of those groups that have produced really excellent music and yet have never achieved the fame that goes with it.

This has to be their best album and contains their best ever tracks, the opener Sirius and Eye In The Sky. The title track is one of those songs that you can never tire of listening to with its melodic rhythm and great vocals provided by Eric Woolfson. One other notable track is the final one Old And Wise, a very emotive piece of music. This is an album that is very easy to listen to and one that will always feature in your play list.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3