Profile for Neil Benson > Reviews

Content by Neil Benson

Neil Benson (Richmond, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Return of The Economic Naturalist: How Economics Helps Make Sense of Your World
by Robert H Frank
Price: 6.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive drivel, 15 Sep 2009
The Return of the Economic Naturalist isn't a 'return' at all. Frank's first book, the Economic Naturalist, was a collection of essays written by the author's economics students; while the sequel is a collection of the author's own newspaper articles.

However, the articles rarely teach the casual reader anything about economics. They repetitively convey the author's own political agenda regarding US issues. The author makes it quite clear, for example, that he would like to see more money spent on US port security. Port security gets a mention in most chapters.

I gave up halfway through the book. Bored of the repetition and inane commentary between outdated articles.

Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter and Charger for iPod - Black
Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter and Charger for iPod - Black
Offered by A5Technology
Price: 30.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor - I returned the product, 23 Feb 2009
I got the Griffin iTrip Auto on Friday, but returned it on Monday morning:
* Lots of interference even in big FM gaps
* Poor sound quality
* Low volume that meant the radio had to be turned up which just increased the noise of the interferring radio stations

I'm not sure whether I had a defective unit or all Griffin iTrips suffer from these problems, but I'm going to try another brand.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3 For Dummies
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3 For Dummies
by Joel Scott
Price: 15.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Another staple Dummies guide, 18 Aug 2006
I'm not a massive fan of the Dummies series, but there are not yet many books available for Microsoft Dyanmics 3.0 users, so I thought I'd give it a try. Joel Scott and David Lee are acomplished CRM writers and they've done a good job organising and writing about how to use Microsoft CRM from a super-user's point of view. If you're a system administrator or responsible for configuring Microsoft CRM (and for whatever reason you've decided not to use an experienced partner), then you should have already received training and sat the certification exams, so this book won't help (see Mr Stewkesbury's review). But if you're an ordinary user parts of this book will be a help. We're going to start giving out a couple of copies to each of our Microsoft CRM clients and see what their feedback is like...

Shure E3c Sound Isolating Earphones
Shure E3c Sound Isolating Earphones

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not so sure about these headphones, 4 Jan 2005
I travel to work everyday listening to my iPod - train, Tube and walking in Central London. I was looking for an improvement on my previous headphones from Bang & Olufsen. It took some experimentation to find the right fit with the Shure's sleeves, but eventually I got a snug inner ear fit that shuts out most external noise. However, while I've noticed improved clarity, I seem to have lost bass; and while external sounds are drowned out, internal sounds like my own voice or even footsteps on the pavement take some getting used to. All in all, I'm looking forward to going back to my B&O's to see if the difference in clarity is worth the Shure sacrifice.

Nisis 3 port PCI Firewire Card
Nisis 3 port PCI Firewire Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat with my iPod, 13 May 2003
I bought the NISIS FireWire card in order to sync my new Apple iPod with my PC. The NISIS card took just a few seconds to install without having to install any drivers or anything. WindowsXP detected and recognised the new hardware straight away. The iPod works fine with it too and as well as sync'ing my songs, the iPod recharges through the FireWire connection too.

Requirements Engineering: Processes and Techniques (Worldwide Series in Computer Science)
by Gerald Kotonya
Price: 43.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Student text-book only, 14 April 2003
I've read quite a few books on requirements engineering recently. But this one, I couldn't even finish because of the dry, isolated and mis-organised writing style. Both of the authors are academic computer science lecturers. Their target audience, I discovered in the introduction, are students. I'm a practising business analyst with four years project experience, so I found the theory rather irrelevant and the examples were too obscure. I'd recommend: 'Use Cases: Requirements in Context' by Kulak & Guiney or 'Mastering the Requirements Process' by Robertson & Robertson if you're looking for better requirements engineering texts.

Mastering the Requirements Process
Mastering the Requirements Process
by Suzanne Robertson
Price: 33.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A gem in an under-published subject, 14 Jan 2003
I'd never read a book on 'business analysis' or 'requirements engineering' before. I've never studied computer science either. But I have been a business analyst for the last few years -- helping clients define their requirements, improve processes and build solutions.
"Mastering the Requirements Process" is an enlightening read. The Volere requirements engineering process is well structured, and documented in some detail. I also enjoyed the use of a UK case study, even if the language used was American English. The authors introduce an array of terminology, mostly accepted terms coined by other authors, but Robertson & Robertson's definition of terminology like 'use cases' was slightly fuzzy for someone new to requirements engineering. However, Robertson & Robertson do provide plenty of recommended reading (and even more reasons to use Amazon.co.uk). They also provide a useful website with templates and updates.
I would have given it five stars, but I think coverage of business events, use cases and inputs/outputs could have been better, and the writing could have been more concise in places.

Successful Large Account Management: How to Hold on to Your Most Important Customers and Turn Them into Long Term Assets
by Miller Heiman

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing extension of the Miller Heiman sales system, 12 Dec 2001
Having read and attended various Conceptual Selling and Strategic Selling books and courses I was looking forward to reading about LAMP (Large Account Management Process). Miller Heiman's 'sales operating system' has not helped me sell more, but it has helped me sell better. Having a cohesive, structured methodology and terminology throughout a sales force helps teams communicate and collaborate, and that's exactly what I needed on target account selling. But I'm still looking.
Successful Large Account Management, at least the edition I read, was obviously an attempt at a British edition. Or you could say it was translated into English. The mixed metaphors just irritated me; while I appreciate references to UK companies, it jars to read about American Indians in the next pararaph. Unlike Conceptual Selling and Strategic Selling I found the use of jargon irritating and unhelpful, particularly the editor's fondness for unusual capilisation and inverted commas.
Too colloquial and uncharacteristically compromised.

The Silmarillion Gift Set
The Silmarillion Gift Set
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Majecstic insight into Tolkien's inner workings, 10 Dec 2001
Having read Chrisipher Tolkien's reworking of his father's notes in 'The Silmarillion', I don't believe that JRR ever really intended them to be published. The history of Middle Earth is a many splendid thing, but ne'er made complete even by his son's most passionate editing.
But the wondrous voice of Shaw adds a magnificent majesty to the plight of the Elves and the forces of good against the Dark Lord. Unabridged, unsurpassable. I imported the CD version of Silmarilion through Amazon.com a few years ago and was entralled by every word Shaw recited of this great biblical history of Middle Earth. I've only listended to this entire collection hundreds of times, and I can only imagine tiring of it's retelling several lifetimes from this one.

Ground Control
Ground Control

2.0 out of 5 stars Great graphics, but who forgot the gameplay?, 12 Sep 2001
This review is from: Ground Control (Video Game)
I agree with all the other reviewers that this game has excellent grahphics--both the units and the landscapes are breathtaking.
But the missions are all the same. I'm getting so bored with the same objectives to kill all the enemy units and destroy all the buildings. Of the 20 missions I've played so far, they almost all have the same objectives.
Pretty pictures. Yawn.