Profile for Nick > Reviews

Dema Simplicity Porcelain Espresso Cup Saucer
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Small cup for people, big cup for cats., 7 July 2014
Finally, my cat has something to drink her coffee out of. It's so embarrassing watching her stumble around with a full size coffee mug. She's much happier now. Thank you!

Oh, by the Way (Mini LP Replica)
Oh, by the Way (Mini LP Replica)
Offered by Discover Music
Price: 136.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you remember me? How we used to be? Don't you think we should be closer?, 2 Feb 2011
Lets be honest, if you're thinking seriously about purchasing this, it's either

a) Because you don't own the whole Pink Floyd discography.
b) You're attracted to the packaging and remasters.
c) You're just a huge mega-fan with a lot of disposable income.

If you're in group a) you don't really have any good reasons not to get this, unless of course the reason you don't already own the whole discography is you're just that not fussed about Pink Floyd and in that case, what are you doing here?

To me Pink Floyd are one of the most important English bands of the last 100 years along with Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Queen and The Rolling Stones.
In their long career and through three major band line ups they influenced millions of people from different backgrounds, all with different music tastes, they trod softly across the musical sound scape, dragging along pieces of the blues, jazz, psychedelia, soft rock, heavy metal (Listen to Nile song if you think I'm lying) pop, beat poetry, and even a fairly rounded chunk of classical.
Sure, you may think 20 - 30 minutes might be too long for some songs but if you look far enough, you will find something for you, I could almost guarantee it, and with the world wide success of 'The Wall' and 'Dark side Of The Moon' id be a fool not to make that huge assumption.

If you belong in group b) you're going to be slightly harder to win over to the idea of this box. You own either all or most of the albums on LP or CD and can't really justify the purchase.
Well, if you already own a good part of the discography, you more than likely care passionately about the music and the actual audio presentation and nothing does a band like Pink Floyd a better service than a nice remastering for the modern age. Although not the greatest remastering job on a back catalogue, it still does the job beautifully, and renders every track lovingly.
I wouldn't of bought this box just for the remasters, but combined with the gorgeous (yes, gorgeous) new packaging, I was sold.

I was honestly very, very happy with the actual box and the individual sleeves. Each album comes in it's own vinyl replica casing made from a sturdy, good quality cardboard (Yeah, I am a sad man) that wipes the floor with some of the other CDs I've bought recently. These WILL last a long time, and with good care, you probably won't need to replace any again. Inside each cardboard sleeve are mini plastic vinyl covers with the discs inside.
The new artwork on the actual box itself (all album covers are replicated from previous releases) is the usual Pink Floyd style we expect from Storm Thorgerson, pretty to look at but I'll be truthful, it won't change your life. Although I did love, the shadow of Syd Barrett tucked away in the centre of each side, very poignant I thought.

A lot of other reviewers have expressed their disappointment with the exclusion of any rare/ unreleased tracks or content. I would love as much as the next person to see songs like 'Vegetable Man' released officially but personally, unless there was a new box (Check out the bootleg 'A Tree full Of Secrets' if you want to see just how huge a box and how much hard work would have to go into it) dedicated to just rarities It would feel like a cheap con to tack on songs at the end of classic albums with no regard to artistic merit and continuity, after all most tracks were cast-offs, deemed not good enough for public consumption.

As far as DVD/ interactive features go, I wouldn't care either way.

I'm highly impressed with this box set and I think they could of done a lot worse. It seems to me a labour of love and not a dead horse in the slightest. If you buy it, you won't feel cheated. How could you possibly feel cheated listening to some of the most important albums ever made?

Oh, and if you were in c) I doubt you even read this review before clicking buy, which makes this sentence redundant.. Just like I will be if I don't turn the cd player off and go to work.

The Origin of Species and the Voyage of the Beagle (Vintage Classics)
The Origin of Species and the Voyage of the Beagle (Vintage Classics)
by Charles Darwin
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Origin Of Species/ Voyage Of The Beagle, 8 Jan 2010
There is little need to review these two books because they are so well read and revered in scientific and historical communitys but this collection was a great find.
Both books are compiled together in chronological order with a wonderful new little prologue.
The front cover artwork is probably the most beautiful and up to date I've seen of any Darwin reprints.
The 'voyage of the beagles'was Darwins first book and within it is the first few threads of Darwins thinking on evoloution.
Its easy to read but never too simple to enjoy, basically its a diary of Darwins exploits and travels. Its wonderful to get into the mindset of a scientist who was destined for greater things. The descriptions of the landscapes and animals are beautifully portrayed and let you have a real feel for the culture and bizare discoverys, the crew of the beagle had stumbled upon.
There is little to say about the origin of species that you won't have heard, infact I doubt you need to read a review of this book to appreciate how good it is.
Our entire modern biological understanding has only grown since this book, although not a complete theory at the time, its hard not to be compelled by the writtings even now.
I loved the double edition of these books and it was also very cheap to buy.
I urge you to read these books and understand just how influential they have been to society in general.