Profile for shrinkydink > Reviews

Neris and India's Idiot-proof Diet
Neris and India's Idiot-proof Diet
by India Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 14 Jun. 2007
I've waited until now to post a review, as I wanted to give a fair reflection of this book. I have been following this diet for the last five months and have gone down three dress sizes. I feel great and am eating delicious, healthy enjoyable food. I'd recommend it to anyone who has struggled with diets in the past.

It's not for everyone, some find they can't master the combination of rules and personal interpretation, just as I hate diets where you have to weigh out an ounce of cottage cheese to have with your Ryvita. I've noticed some other reviewers have criticised certain elements - everyone's entitled to their opinion. I personally find the emphasis on the 'head-stuff' - the reasons why you overeat etc - the most useful and unique element to the book.

What I would say is you can't do it half-heartedly for a week or so and then pronounce it a rubbish diet. There are rules to follow, such as abstaining from alcohol for at least the first two weeks. I didn't find this a problem and still managed to have a social life - it was only two weeks and pubs do serve other drinks! Yes, you have to exercise. Walking is suggested as it's cheap, easy and usually pretty accessible to those who may never have entered a gym, or who feel self conscious at the thought of organised exercise. If you live somewhere where you say you can't walk, why not do an exercise video at home, or do your own workout to music. Yes, some of the food can be expensive if you believe you are only allowed to eat oysters etc. However, if you actually read and understand the food rules, you'll see it suits most budgets.

Any emphasis on organic produce echoes the wider sentiments of the eating plan which are to stop eating processed junk. I can't always get organic food, so I don't. The diet still works.

I don't live anywhere particularly posh and I'm not rich. It's neither difficult nor expensive to get a good selection of fresh veg, meats, fish, cheeses etc and make great meals.

I'm sticking with it, and look forward to being even slimmer by Christmas.

If it's not for you, fine. Just don't make up spurious reasons for it not working in order to mask your own laziness. It takes effort to lose weight, whatever diet and exercise solution you opt for.