Profile for Laura > Reviews

Laura

Gracepoint [DVD]
Gracepoint [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Appreciate it on its own right!, 18 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Gracepoint [DVD] (DVD)
Watched Gracepoint on line and bought the dvd as soon it was available.David Tennant is incredible as Emmett Carver, he needs only a look on his eyes or a movement of his body to give life to a character. He can plays virtually everything and always be extraordinary (I watched him on stage as Richard II, something one has to experience at least once in life, because he's extraordinary). Love the accent too, the way he says "go away" to Ellie, was just..WOW. I don't compare his character with the one in Broadchurch. Here he is Emmett Carver and I see Emmett Carver, cynical, impulsive, angry. He won a People choice award for this role, fully deserved. Anna Gunn is a wonderful surprise.Her Ellie is really impressive. She was a more resolute Ellie and this is a good thing as she aimed for a promotion. Very good Kevin Zegers as Owen and Virginia Kull as Beth was stunning. As a mother, I immediately felt her grief like was mine, and cried. Jack Irvine was a creepy Tom. Not much impressedby Michael Pena take as Danny Solano's father, found him a little Woody. I appreciated the great work on photography made by Mr Grillo and the stunning scenery. Less slow motion (good) and a minimal soundtrack no towering above the scene, in peak scenes there were just a few acoustic guitar's chords. Overall a great work, and more important, the Maestro's signature. Chris Chibnall and his script were acknowledged at the opening credits. Bravo. BTW, I watched Broadchurch many times, own the DVD set and know the lines by memory. I was able to reset everything and my approach to Gracepoint was made with fresh eyes and open mind. The result is amazing. Gracepoint should be appreciated on its own right.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Shakespeare: Richard II [David Tennant] [RSC] [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Shakespeare: Richard II [David Tennant] [RSC] [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

5.0 out of 5 stars I watched it live, that's like watching it live again!, 21 Mar. 2015
I watched RSC Richard II live at Barbican. I am a great fan of David Tennant always wishing to see him performing on stage. My dream become true in December 2013, when I took a flight with hubby and chidren to London. 3 hours of absolute joy, delight, emotions almost imbossible to describe but that involved all the sense. The tickets, the signed program and some pics from the stage door were my souvenirs of a great night, until when I read that the filmed performance in Stratford was being released on dvd.To say I preordered it immediately is a mere euphemism. When I got the dvd, I cried, all the emotions from that night were out again. Never was (unfortunately) at the RSC theatre in Stratford, it was lovely to see how different the stage is confronting to the Barbican, the performances were outstanding: David Tennant of course (and he was rightly awarded with a What's on stage award as best actor for this), but also Oliver Ford Davies that I loved as Polonious in Hamlet and the lovely mrs Jane Lapotaire, trulywas moving.

Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD]
Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

5.0 out of 5 stars As gripping and compelling as series 1. Great acting from Tennant&Colman, 21 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I couldn't wait until april (when it will premiere in my Country). As a devoted Broadie, watched on-line, binge-watching the last 3 episodes. What I can add to describe a true tv masterpiece? So different from series 1 and equally outstanding, the chemistry between David Tennant and Olivia Colman aka Hardy&Miller creates the magic again and lead you during the 8 episodes journey, until the revealing of the truth about Sandbrook and the trial of Danny Latimer murder. Sometimes the justice triumph, sometimes not, this is life, unfortunately. The cases of OJ Simpson or Oskar Pistorious are emblematic in this sense. Sometimes you gan go on with your life, sometimes you have to start all over again. The story is tragic and gripping, the acting superb, David Tennant, Olivia Colman and Eve Myles above all, I hated sharon Bishop, meaning that Marianne Jean-Baptiste made a good job. Only the actress playing the judge seemeed not very well casted and sometimes the usually good Charlotte Rampling seemed overacting, but for the rest Broadchurch 2 was really great, giving all range of emotions. Can't wait for series 3, obviously. As per the dvd, I'm really impressed by the quantity and quality of extras!

What We Did On Our Holiday [DVD]
What We Did On Our Holiday [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rosamund Pike

5.0 out of 5 stars You will love this movie, 21 Mar. 2015
As a fan of David Tennant from Italy, I bought this dvd and watched it immediately. This is a lovely movie, beautifully shot in Scotland, wonderfully acted, that will make you laugh and cry. David Tennant, Rosamunde Pike and Billy Connelly are all outstanding, and the children so natural. I read it was half improvised, they pratically did this jewel without a proper script: Kudos to all those involved, while I'm drying one last tear after the emotional ending..

Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [DVD]
Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [DVD]
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars true festive family treat, 23 Dec. 2013
Absolutely loved it. Watched it with my children and never stop to laugh. We are all fans of David Tennant,but was a surprise to discover he's such a funny man. Praise to Jessica Hynes and Marc Watton too. Donkeys can fly!!

DAVID TENNANT DOCTOR WHO SIGNED AUTOGRAPH PHOTO PRINT IN MOUNT
DAVID TENNANT DOCTOR WHO SIGNED AUTOGRAPH PHOTO PRINT IN MOUNT
Offered by Atomic Autographs

5.0 out of 5 stars simply love it, 30 Sept. 2013
I bought it as a gift for my little boy, whovian and fan of David Tennant. Prompt shipment and very good quality. And most important, a happy fan!

Broadchurch [DVD] [2013]
Broadchurch [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Olivia Colman

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SERIES-SIMPLY WONDERFUL!, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I live in Italy and I followed this series on-line. Totally gripped! It's really not a usual whodunnit, it's more about the effects and consequences the death of a little boy brings on this little community where usually nothing happens and now has to cope with grief, guilty feelings and suspect, with faith and the lack of it,with the press and gossips able to destroy a man, with the discover that no one is always like he seems. Chris Chibnall wonderful script filled me with all range of emotions, at the end it wasn't really important who the killer was and how long did it take to me to discover it, but how the families involved and the community would react, find answers and find a way to go on. Beautifully shot on the Jurassic coast on Dorset, emotional soundtrack, great direction. And a perfect, great cast for this choral masterpiece! First of all David Tennant and Olivia Colman, magistrally bring life to DI Hardy and DI Miller, so different at the beginning, so equal at the end, Jodie Whittaker as the grieving mother, David Bradley as Jack Marshall and Pauline Quirke as Susan, they all, all shine and gave us this diamond on the history of British tv. Very good the quality of the dvd set, that consists in 3 dvds and lots of special features, Worth giving a look an the day of the read through!

The Politician's Husband [DVD]
The Politician's Husband [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 19 May 2013
Great quality political drama drama with wonderful acting from David Tennant and Emily Watson "the golden couple" that fight to shine in this war for power. very good Jack Sheperd as Aiden's father. Unexpected twist at the end!!

Spies of Warsaw [DVD]
Spies of Warsaw [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it but no extras!!!, 20 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Spies of Warsaw [DVD] (DVD)
I so much loved this miniseries.
Great actors (David Tennant and Martin Dorociwsky above all), great photograph, beautiful soundtrack, and the fact they actually filmed the scenes in the real (reconstructed) Warsaw.
The story was really good, lots of tv series and movieas are about the tragedy of WWII, this is the first time there is a story about what happened just before the invasion of Poland. Everything is very tense and characters believable.Love to see David Tennant,my favourite actor, playing an incredible Jean-François Mercier. I bought the book of Alan Furst after saw his performance.
The only bad note is about the total lack of extras. Would have been good if they showed interviews,or bits about this important and tragic moment in history.

David Tennant: A Life in Time and Space
David Tennant: A Life in Time and Space
by Nigel Goodall

2.0 out of 5 stars a bit disappointed, 20 Feb. 2013
First of all, sorry for my english.
As a foreigner admirer of David Tennant works, it was quite naturally for me to buy a biography of him in order to learn more about him and his backgrounds. I already got some very interesting bios of John Lennon, Charlie Chaplin (btw, his own autobiograph) and Dustin Hoffman.
I was quite disappointed this time. Some chapters seems actually minibiographs of other people (pages on Kylie Minogue for exemple), making everything a little too messy, plus sometimes you seem to read a DM gossip article ( quite funny the part where they suggest the relationship betweeen David and Georgia Moffett will not go anywhere 'cause have nothing in common...)at least the writer frankly admits at the beginning that he never meets or interviews David,note of appreciation for the sincerity. Beautiful pictures inside (too many with former love Sophia Miles, think the writer who also spends lots of pages on her is in love with the girl)..