Profile for lewiscarrollnut > Reviews

Content by lewiscarrollnut

lewiscarrollnut (london, - United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
King Tut Unwrapped [DVD]
King Tut Unwrapped [DVD]
Offered by specialinterests
Price: 7.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust it - very over simplified and dumbed down, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: King Tut Unwrapped [DVD] (DVD)
I was disappointed with this, as I'd expected something with some authority and substance. I am far from an expert, but you dno't have to be an expert to see that the scientific methods used here are really bad. For instance, no controls were used in the DNA testing. The team were trying to prove a genetic link with highly inadequate samples, but were not given any definitely unrelated material to see whether they might get similar results from it - this was very corrupted DNA.

Perhaps it is not surprising that nobody in the documentary mentioned what a lot of controversy there has been about the work shown here.

Very important information was also omitted, obviously for the sake of having a simple story. For instance, at one point it is triumphantly claimed that the name Tutankhaten is spotted - so look! this shows we have Tutankhamun! But the names are not the same, are they? That was no slip of the tongue and they should have explained what they were going on about, rather than just leaving it in and hoping that nobody was actually thinking about what they were hearing.

Also, surely for the DVD someone could have taken the trouble to cut out the endless repeated information about who they are and what they are doing, repeated many times. This is intended for viewers who can't be bothered to watch the whole thing, or who can't remember what they have heard, and is usually the sign of an over simplified dumbed-down documentary.

Of course a proper documentary wouldn't have been as interesting as this one's endless "discoveries" which all supposedly happened one after the other so conveniently.

There is some interesting stuff here, and I think I wouldn't have been so disappointed if it hadn't been presented as true and definite. The reality is absolutely, totally not this at all.

So if you want to sit there with a cup of cocoa and indulge your King Tut dreams
then this is the dvd for you, but if you actually want to learn, then it's very, very disappointing and not to be trusted at all.

Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie)
Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie)
by Kate Atkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly readable but rather a let-down in the end, 19 May 2011
I was gripped by this while I was reading it, but ended up feeling pretty disappointed. So many ends were left untied. One of the things I liked best about Atkinson's earlier novels is the way that everything ties up as if she's run the plot past a Swiss watchmaker before starting to write.

I believe that there's a sequel to this book, which would explain the unfinished ends. Despite this, I almost gave it four stars, because it WAS so very readable. In the end, though, I gave it three, because I am sorry to say that after I'd finished, it rather left me wondering why I had bothered.

Like an earlier reviewer, I wish that she'd go back to writing quirky one-offs. She's a simply wonderful writer and I would love to read some more of those.

Enigma of Brontes
Enigma of Brontes
by Maureen Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of insight, the Brontes as human beings, 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: Enigma of Brontes (Hardcover)
This is a careful, readable, and very interesting attempt to recreate the genuine world of the Brontes. When I had finished reading it, I felt I did have some idea of what they had been like as people, and how life had been in Haworth Parsonage - although I'd have liked perhaps just a bit more detail on the sort of person their father had been.

I think this book should be reissued.

The Badness of Ballydog
The Badness of Ballydog
by Garrett Carr
Price: 6.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, fresh, lively and fun, 13 April 2010
I loved this book. Great characters, lively use of language, original approach, plenty of dry humour. No way you could imagine what was coming next, but you're dying to know, because Carr has the voice of a born storyteller. I loved the feeling that he was writing the book for fun, probably smiling as he imagined all these crazy people and insane situations. Yet, though there's more than a tinge of surrealism, Ballydog is weirdly believable. it happens to be in Ireland, but don't you find these towns all over the world?

I also liked the monster. So often monsters are just like the latest offering from Special Effects,but Carr conveys the terror of this creature by emphasising how absolutely huge it is and how stupid; a mindless force of nature

As I wasn't familiar with his work I took the trouble to look his website up. I'd respectfully suggest Carr considers expanding his website to convey more of the kind of person and the kind of writer he is since the site didn't really convey this.

IN conclusion, I hope Carr gets his due as a bright new voice in children's writing. This is one of the best children's books I've read for ages, and I can't wait to read the next one.The Badness of Ballydog

ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Picture Book Classics)
ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Picture Book Classics)
by Emma Chichester Clark
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely illustrations, would have liked the original words, 14 Mar 2010
The most lovely illustrations - Emma Chichester Clark never disappointed. But I would have preferred to have kept to the original words which are so interesting.

Out of Shadows
Out of Shadows
by Jason Wallace
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, bitter and passionate, 12 Mar 2010
This review is from: Out of Shadows (Paperback)
Not an easy read this, but I was gripped. It tells of the bitter and disturbing experiences of a boy in Zimbabwe just after independence. I wonder if the school he describes could have been quite as Dickensian, but am prepared to suspend disbelief. I am rather surprised this has been shunted into the YA ghetto, since it would undoubtedly interest an adult audience and it has an attractive, eyecatching cover too.

Lewis Carroll in Numberland: His Fantastical Mathematical Logical Life
Lewis Carroll in Numberland: His Fantastical Mathematical Logical Life
by Robin Wilson
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining look at this subject., 11 Mar 2010
Mathematics isn't everyone's cup of tea but this is a really entertaining look at carroll's fascination for numbers. Highly recommended, and with much food for thought.

Richard Scarry's a Day at the Airport (Random House Picturebacks)
Richard Scarry's a Day at the Airport (Random House Picturebacks)
by Richard Scarry

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for preparing young child for journey, but needs updating, 7 Feb 2010
Richard Scarry's books are always a winner with small kids, combining, as they do, humour and information. This is a likeable, child-friendly book for any little kid about to make their first plane journey. You can show them the things in real life that the animals are seeing at the airport, and while away the boring hours of waiting that way. However there is a big lack of information on security procedures at airports; in fact, they don't feature at all in the book. This is why this excellent book has only got four, not five stars. It is not Scarry's fault - I am sure he did the book years ago about domestic US airports - but if he ever feels like putting out a new edition, it would be really helpful to have more up to date hard information about all the security stuff, as this is now so much part of the flying experience for everyone, unfortunately.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2012 1:05 AM BST

Baby Learns Chinese: Disc 2 [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Baby Learns Chinese: Disc 2 [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 8 Nov 2009
This is a nice little teaching programme and although baby might be a bit baffled at what some of the fruit and vegetables actually are, the words are well presented and the pace is good.

Morecambe and Wise: Bring Me Sunshine Vol 1
Morecambe and Wise: Bring Me Sunshine Vol 1
by Eric Morcambe
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric and Ernie. What more need you say?, 8 Nov 2009
Some great sketches here. If you like Eric and Ernie, you'll love this. If you are less keen, you may find it a bit too much of a good thing. On the whole the sketches are well selected, although I could have done with more obvious breaks between the tracks, and perhaps a bit of music too. I would have loved to hear their performance of "Are you Lonesome tonight"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10