Profile for Ben Topham > Reviews

Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 July 2014
Just amazing!

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)
Price: 83.99

5.0 out of 5 stars OS of choice., 22 July 2014
As a long time Windows 7 user, my initial reaction to seeing windows 8 was "well, look's like I'll stick with 7". However, when the time came to get a new laptop, after I tried out Windows 8 a few times on a friends computer, I decided to risk it and go for Windows 8. I knew that if I really didn't like the Metro Start menu, then I could always download one of the Start menu replacement programs, and then all would be well.

Regardless, I've found I prefer the Metro Start menu over the older start menu. I've arranged it so that all the programs I frequently use are there; when I need to use a program not found on the start menu, I either start typing its name (so it searches for it), or you can browse through all installed programs and apps by clicking a down arrow. I also ticked the option to make the start menu background the same as your desktop wallpaper, so it doesn't feel to detached from my normal screen.
Many people freaked out at the lack of start button, which Microsoft reintroduced in the 8.1 update. I like having the start button there, but I more often than not I'll just press the Windows key to bring up the start menu (and to get rid of it).

Overall, I prefer the new start menu. In retrospect, I only really used the old start menu to search for programs that weren't on my taskbar (reserved only for the the programs I use all the time). I feel that the Metro start menu does this better than the old one, whilst looking far nicer and less cluttered.

But an OS is more than just a Start menu. Really though, that is the main difference. Apart from the Mail app, I don't use any other Windows Apps, so I don't really use any of that split-screen app business; All my programs run just as they would on Windows 7. That little thing that comes up at the side is nice - I don't use it THAT much, but it doesn't get in the way, so that's fine. There are subtle improvements in Windows Explorer and the Control Panel, and better Skydrive integration (I haven't used this yet, look elsewhere for information on that), but really, all the rest of it works just the same as Windows 7 (awesome!).

So, most of the time when I'm using it it feels like Windows 7 with an improved (and nicer) Start menu.

P.S Remember, if you really hate the Start menu, you can get programs to revert it to the old Start Menu.

Child of Troubled Times
Child of Troubled Times
Offered by USA MEDIA
Price: 4.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Utterly unique, but not for the faint-hearted!, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Child of Troubled Times (Audio CD)
If you're into experimental music and new sounds, this might definitely be your thing. I personally have never heard anything like it - it's some sort of dissonant odd-timed jazz R'n'B. I can't really listen to the whole album in one go, it's just too much. Having said that, it is a good album, and definitely one to get if you want to hear something new.

Favorite track:

Short Stories - It was after hearing this, and being blown away by it, that I bought the album. If your interested in the album, try and listen to this track.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels so good!, 9 Jan 2014
This is my first speedcube (my other 3*3*3 is a Rubik's brand), and I have to say, it moves and feels GREAT!

If your a beginner out there and want to get faster, just go the whole way and get this (ignore what people say about it moving to fast, it's perfect).

The Man Who Recorded the World: A Biography of Alan Lomax
The Man Who Recorded the World: A Biography of Alan Lomax
by John F. Szwed
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, in depth, detailed., 10 Jan 2013
Probably the best book on Alan Lomax there is. This book is well written, well researched, and just generally a great biography of one of the most influential men of the 20th century.