Profile for Matthew > Reviews

Content by Matthew

Matthew "Matt" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
MSI GS60 2QE 15.6-inch Notebook (Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, Windows 8.1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Laptop - A powerful desktop in the shell of an ultrabook, 26 Nov. 2014
Introduction
MSI has manufactured an amazing machine. Its the most beautiful and powerful machine I've owned and that means something. I've been making custom gaming machines since I was twelve and I own a Macbook Pro, this beats everything I've ever had.

The Build Quality
The build quality is superb and rivals that of Apple and Razer, it has a beautiful metal exterior with a customisable lit keyboard. There are a couple of areas where it is let down such as the bezel on the screen and the prominent rear illumination from certain angels. I feel these sacrifices are worth it as this is as powerful as laptops three times as thick.

If you hate finger prints on your devices then fear not, although a smudge appears on the metal after touching it, it evaporates away after a short period.

The 3K Display
Even though the Bezels are big you forget this due to the incredible 3K screen (2880*1620). It has fantastic contrast and is well colour balanced. Even though this hardware is beautiful, it is often let down by software.

Many of the programs I use, such as Chrome and ZBrush which work fine at such a high resolution. Programs that don't work respond in three different ways.

Programs like Photoshop, Steam, and Maya display sharp and proportional, however it is incredibly spaced out and small on a 15" screen. This is due to them being designed for 1080p screens.

Other programs like UE4 scale up to fit the screen, this makes them just as usable but at a cost, the icons and interface is now pixelated. This is what usually happens for installers.

The third way is that the programming window is absolutely tiny and don't space out to fit the screen, programs like origin looked like they have been scaled down five times in Photoshop.

Hardware
This laptop blazes through the latest games such as Far Cry 4 and Battlefield 4. In Battlefield 4 I am getting high frame rates at 3K on ultra settings, it looks incredible and it works smoothly online. Far Cry 4 runs just as well on ultra but only at 1080p.

Speakers, Track pad, Keyboard and other peripherals
The speakers are impressive, the sound is full and rich, I don't know much about sound but the speakers are good for their size.

The trackpad works nicely, when I first bought it I had to crank its sensitivity up as I would have to swipe five times to reach the other side of the screen. I still find it inaccurate compared to a mouse or stylus. It supports Windows 8 gestures which is a nice touch.

The keyboard is very ergonomic and I could use it blindfolded after a couple of days. My only minor gripe is that Fn (function) key is too far from most of the keys I use, such as Volume and Brightness requiring me to use two hands.

The microphone is not good, I had to crank up it's sensitivity and then give it an additional boost in another program, now people can hear me in Skype calls, I haven't yet tested the webcam yet as it doesn't exist according to Windows. These two peripherals are the two only let downs.

I did not buy this product from Amazon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2015 9:40 AM GMT

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the Wikipedia Article, 14 Nov. 2014
The writer really knows his stuff and I thank him for sharing it, however if you are reading it academically or are trying to learn it quickly, it's a very slow book and you can actually get away with reading the final paragraph of each chapter.

This is because of his writing style, he likes to tease the information while giving history and context, at the end of each chapter he then reinforces what you were reading by summarising and making his point.

If you can read this book pleasurably and without stress then buy it, it's very good, if you wish to have knowledge and nothing else from this book then read the Wikipedia article on Flow (psychology), it is also very good.

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Offered by Audible Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars A good storyteller desperately in need of a thesaurus., 14 Nov. 2014
When this book first became big I wasn't too interested, when the movie was announced I thought I would give it a look.

The story is interesting, regardless of how unlikely the entire situation in the book is, if it was realistic it wouldn't be interesting. E. L. James is definitely an amateur writer, she uses repetitive writing such as "Oh my!" and "He pulled my hair back to kiss me". In fact, every time the reader meets Grey, it is always the same description.

Even with all these repetitions cropping up, I found the unique and different encounters interesting enough to keep me reading. The relationship evolved and we learned new things about the characters.

All in all, this is not a jaw dropping book but I didn't feel I should put it down. It had an interesting story with interesting characters. The story isn't repetitive but the writing certainly is and I'm sure this will annoy some readers.

Holga HLW-SSN Lens for Samsung NX Camera
Holga HLW-SSN Lens for Samsung NX Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 19 Dec. 2013
I got this lens as I wanted to experience something quite different, if you are used to using non samsung lenses on your camera this lens works no differently. It takes some "interesting" photos which are certainly quite cool, but no different to something you could do in post using pixlr or photoshop.

If you want a tiny lens with no post work then this lens will suit you nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad, 19 Dec. 2013
Some of the blades are really good, some of them I choose to discard as I feel they are too dull. These are certainly great value and worth what you pay.

Screen Protectors For Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 / Pack of Five
Screen Protectors For Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 / Pack of Five

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing product, 7 Aug. 2012
The seller was fantastic but the product was sadly not on par.

I used up three of the screen protectors trying to get one to work, and I am no newbie to screen protectors. The first one left me impressed as it fit the device perfectly with no bubbles what-so-ever; this said I decided to press down slightly and rub it so that the adhesive would work properly. After doing so I decided to remove the protective layer for the protector, I was amazed! It was as if there was no screen protector on the Galaxy note, then I realised there wasn't, it failed to stick to the screen. So I tried with a second one assuming it was a dodgy one; same happened with this one!

So I decided with the third one to do it after my bath so the steam had removed any dust and so that the adhesive would be better, bam! This time it stuck after removing the protective layer.. "Invisible protection" I think not.. It looked as though my note was now covered in scratches!

I would return these but after using up 3 out of 5 screen protectors I don't feel i'm in a position to, I know they are cheap and tempting, but don't get them! Having said this, please trust the seller, their delivery was quick and I got what I purchased however I do not feel it meets mine and their quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2015 5:30 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a shave, but not as sharp as I would like., 16 Oct. 2011
These blades are a fantastic price however these are not the best blades i have used and I am planning on going back to wilkinson sword.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2011 12:13 PM GMT

Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)
Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)
Offered by Excess Gaming

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC GAME!!!, 23 Sept. 2009
If you love Rainbow Six Vegas and Halo, This is the perfect game for you, i love this game, i myself love Vegas & Halo and this takes the Best of Both Games, Fantastic Gameplay.

Campaign: i have not completed campaign yet but i am enjoying it so much, Im doing it on Heroic, as legendary is now very hard as you (the player) no longer have shields.

Fire Fight: i have played this mode the most so far, amazing fun, whether your playing this SOLO or with Friends on XBOX LIVE its amazing.

This game also come with Halo 3 online multilayer so you can still play that, if you did not buy any of the DLC Maps then it does not matter because its all included.

This game is fantastic, I recommend it to everyone!
Not disappointed one bit!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2011 9:03 PM GMT

The Fall of Reach (Halo)
The Fall of Reach (Halo)
by Eric S. Nylund
Edition: MP3 CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Story! A must buy for any Halo or Sci Fi fan., 8 July 2009
This review is from: The Fall of Reach (Halo) (MP3 CD)
I found this book incredible, The story is a perfect intro for the game Halo CE, and the way that he rights is simple and easy to follow along in the audio-book, the science is also explained and is easy to understand, i shows a great vision of what technology could be like in the close future, I recommend this audio book to everyone. You should really listen to it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2011 11:25 AM BST

Little Miss Sunshine [DVD] [2006]
Little Miss Sunshine [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Abigail Breslin
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 11 April 2009
This film, i thought was hilarious, i dont normally enjoy comedys that much but this was very good, its soundtrack is also very good, one of the main things i liked about this is that every scene didnt try and be funny. The movie has a great story (something you dont normally find in comedys). This movie is worth watching.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2011 11:22 AM BST