Profile for Mr. B. R. Knell > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. R. Knell

Mr. B. R. Knell (Fareham, Hants United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
iPhone 6 Case, i-Blason Apple iPhone 6 4.7 Scratch Resistant Hybrid Clear Case / Cover with TPU Bumper for iPhone 6 (Clear (Anti-Scratch))
Offered by I-Blason EU

3.0 out of 5 stars Goes off-colour, 3 Jun. 2015
I bought this to go on my iPhone 6 in silver and white. Within a few months, however, its very clear appearance had turned to a champagne colour and is not looking good. In all other respects it is a good case.

Black Pork Pie Hat 100% Wool Felt Mod/Ska, Breaking Bad, Heisenberg / Walter White Style (Medium 57cm)
Offered by Gamble & Gunn Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fine., 6 May 2015
The hat was good value for the price I paid and the quality was just fine. It arrived fairly quickly too. The size was quite accurate - I ordered a 57 and it was the same as all the other 57s that I've had from other makers.

Frame Company Watson Range A4 Picture Photo Frames, White
Frame Company Watson Range A4 Picture Photo Frames, White
Offered by Frame-Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Good frames, 8 Dec. 2013
I tried to buy frames like this from a bricks and mortar store but they were not available in all those that I tried. These were delivered very quickly and were of good quality and well priced.

Mil-Com Patrol Black Leather Tactical Mens Security Army Combat Boots
Mil-Com Patrol Black Leather Tactical Mens Security Army Combat Boots
Offered by Savage Island

4.0 out of 5 stars Good boots, 8 Dec. 2013
These boots seem to be well made and fairly robust. I have had them a couple of months and have worn them a few times and they are holding up well. They were comfortable from the start and fit well. For the price I have no complaint.

Casio Men's Quartz Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Black Resin Strap MRW-200H-7EVEF

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 8 Dec. 2013
A cheap and cheerful watch which is well worth the few pounds that it cost. I wanted this because it has a bright, white face that is easy to read at a glance and this is just what it does. The day and date are easily readable too. If I had a complaint it would be that the luminous hands and dots are really not very bright which means that you're not going to read this in complete darkness.

2 x disGuard Crystal Clear Screen Protector for Canon EOS 6D / EOS-6D / 6-D - PREMIUM QUALITY (crystalclear, hard-coated, bubble free application)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 8 Dec. 2013
These protectors were just what I needed to cover the rear and top screens on my Canon 6D. I found them easy to apply and that they fit very accurately. They were a reasonable cost and certainly worth having in order to protect the camera.

PowerPlanet LP-E6, LP E6 (3347B001AA) Canon High Capacity Compatible 2 Year Warranty Camera Battery for Canon

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 8 Dec. 2013
I bought this battery to use in the grip of a Canon 6D. It seems to work well and I have had no problems with it in the first month of use. You'll often see advice from the camera manufacturers not to use anything other than genuine OEM batteries which may be good and accurate advice. However, at the price they charge it's not surprising that we seek out alternatives at a fraction of the cost. So far my cameras have come to no harm by using third party batteries but you'd be best to make your own decisions on that one.

Black Rapid  RS-4 Camera Strap with 5 Year Product Warranty
Black Rapid RS-4 Camera Strap with 5 Year Product Warranty
Offered by CameraKing (Shipping from UK)

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended product with reservations, 8 Dec. 2013
For a long time I have been dissatisfied with the standard camera straps that come supplied with the camera and I have been wanting an alternative. This is for the usual reasons that the supplied straps are not particularly comfortable, get in the way of the controls especially when turning the camera to portrait orientation, and the fact that the camera is held rather prominently in front of me.

The Black Rapid strap improves on all of these aspects by allowing the camera to hang down at my hip which makes it less obvious in a crowd. The well-padded shoulder strap is comfortable for long periods which is a relief. Then there is the way that it attaches to the camera body by the tripod mount. This keeps the strap well away from the controls and really helps when trying to get shots quickly.

In the fairly short time I've had it I have not suffered the same problem that a couple of other people here have mentioned about the mount coming undone. When tightening this it is as well to take note of the advice on Black Rapid's website and all should be well.

Based on my experience so far I'd recommend this strap. Oh, and it appears to be cheaper and simpler than others of this type.

UPDATE

Well, after using this strap for almost 6 months it is time to give a short review. In use this strap is still far more comfortable than the standard one supplied with a camera and the original review still stands - mostly. However, experience with it has taught me a couple of things.

1) Ensure that when you attach the strap to the FastenR that you screw the locking collar up fully. Early on I failed to do it once and when I pulled the camera out of the bag the clip twisted round, opened up and the strap detached itself from the FastenR ring on the tripod mount. Now that may just be a million to one chance but it happened. I always screw the collar up now and have had no further problem. The FastenR ring always stays tight in the tripod mount.

2) The RS-4 strap is much bulkier than your OEM strap and takes up a lot of room in your camera bag. If you occasionally use a holster or any other bag that takes the camera snugly ask yourself where the strap is going to go.

3) The shoulder pad is thick and comfortable but is not very "grippy" on the shoulder although that may depend on what you are wearing. Despite having adjusted the clips on the strap I find myself pulling the pad back onto my shoulder quite often as the strap moves when raising the camera. It could do with some rubber grips on the underside of the shoulder pad as does my ThinkTank bag which stays rock solid.

My original review was for five stars. Due to the points made in this update I have now downgraded it to 4 stars. Overall I'm still pleased with it and continue to use it always.

City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi
City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi

3.0 out of 5 stars It is OK., 28 Oct. 2012
I was a little disappointed with this book which had a lot of promise that it didn't quite live up to. Parts of the tale which involved his immediate stay in New Delhi and his relationships with his landlady were very good but most of the book was filled with historical fact. This was not what I was interested in. Many readers may well feel that the history is a very good thing and so for you it may press all the buttons. As a history of New Delhi it may be just what you are after but as a story of contemporary India it did not hit the spot for me.

East of Eden (Penguin Modern Classics)
East of Eden (Penguin Modern Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read, 28 Oct. 2012
This was a good book and a fine story but I ended up feeling that I could not give it five stars. I have now read many of John Steinbeck's books but this is not the best. I expected it to be a little more grave and more like Grapes of Wrath but it is not to that standard. Nor did it have the charm and simplicity of Of Mice and Men. Instead it had a more autobiographical air, which may be good for some readers, but not what I expected.

Nevertheless it was a good book and I am glad that I bought it and read it through.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4