Profile for Christopher Morgan > Reviews

Content by Christopher Morgan

Christopher Morgan "Chris" (Liverpool, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Art of War (Running Press Miniatures)
The Art of War (Running Press Miniatures)
by Ralph D. Sawyer
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting..., 5 Nov 2006
I am on a business and management course at university and have read many books on management and business (I mean alot). I bought this book based on its status as a book that has achieved mythological status in todays world and, wanted to see what the fuss was about.

And to be honest I was very interested by many of the things that are said. Having read as many business and management books as I have I can say that this book is higly relevant to todays modern management systems. Many of his lines sum up whole chapters of books I have read.

The difficulty is in finding where it fits, Ive read it through twice now and have discovered many more points that are still very valid and applicable in todays world.

One of the more obvious ones is: One of the five factors from which victory can be known, 'One whos upper and lower ranks have the same desires will be victorious'. This is a very brief way of speaking on a term some might know as 'Shared Vision', Senge anyone?

This is just the most obvious and there are many more take my word for it you have to be able to read between the lines though and understand some of what he says in a modern day context, as with other reviewers there are parts of it such as terrain tactics which may not be of use. The overall book however has many valid points and i'd recommend it to anyone, the business professional or just someone interested in the book for itself.

The Cold Moon
The Cold Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Deavers latest, 17 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Cold Moon (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of Deavers writing and for me this is his best full length novel since the Coffin Dancer which was brilliant.

Lincoln Rhyme, Amelia Sachs and the usual team of experts are back again trying to track down a psychotic killer before he strikes again. This time out the meticulous Watchmaker and his friend must be apprehended before another bizarre killing takes place.

The Watchmaker has a master plot which requires exact timing in order to achieve his goal, the killings themselves are drawn out almost reminiscient of the movie SAW in that the victim sees death a long time coming but can do nothing about it. Rhyme has finally met an intellectual match.

Usual great Deaver writing fast paced and with twists around every bend definitely one of my favourite books of the past year.

Use Your Head (Mind Set)
Use Your Head (Mind Set)
by Tony Buzan

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 17 Oct 2006
Not bad really, alot of it is plainly obvious however many of his study ideas really help me particularly his ideas on good book study habits.

I found the mind maps to be very helpful and the memory game shocked me I can still remeber a list of 10 consecutive random items and I only spent 5 minutes memorizing them, shocking for me as I have an apalling memory.

If your unsure about study its worth the cost.

The Killing Kind
The Killing Kind
by John Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, I forgot my holiday, 28 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Killing Kind (Paperback)
I am quickly becoming a fan of John Connolly's writing, his books chill you enough to draw you in and at the same time are witty enough to keep most readers interested.

The Killing Kind was the first book I read by Connolly and I wasnt dissapointed. I bought it before going on holiday and had finished it by the time I got back three days later, most of my holiday was spent with my nose in it.

Connolly's writing is suspenseful and at the end of every chapter something else, something new is hinted at. The Killing Kind is no different, the bad guy Mr Pudd is revealed to you early in the book leaving his threat hanging over the detective, Charlie Parker till the end.

Mr Pudd is apparently in league with a cult of known as the Fellowship, an organisation linked with many murders and with likely knowledge of the murders of another cult the Aristook Baptists. During his investigation into the Fellowship, Parker makes new dangerous enemies which want rid of the threat he brings to their operation.

A brilliant book worth a look for anyone new to Connolly or if youve read any of his other books this one wont dissapoint you.

Every Dead Thing
Every Dead Thing
by John Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Scared me awake, 27 Sep 2006
This review is from: Every Dead Thing (Paperback)
What a great book. Finished it just the other day and already started on another one of his Charlie Parker books. Connolly has a great ability to make you feel repulsed and riveted at the same time.

One of the best thriller writers and books I have read, it doesnt so much keep you guessing as stop you from wanting to. This story is part of the Charlie Parker series which means your gauranteed a great blend of good and evil, mysteries and bone chilling moments.

This time out Charlie Parker will go to any lengths to stop the morbid Travelling Man from attacking innocent people and toying with their bodies to create his works of art. Connolly is brilliant at portraying his characters from the obnoxious Charlie Parker who you love though secretly know you want him to be hit, to his best friends the [...] hitman and theif, Angel and Louis.

This book kept me up at night even after I had turned off the light for bed, a great book and worth anyones money I'd suggest the series, Ive got them.

The Shadow Of The Wind
The Shadow Of The Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving from the bad reviews, 27 Sep 2006
Well looking at the other reviews it seems you either love or hate this book.

To clarify I'm a 19 year old guy and this book is very different from anything I would normally read. This was however one of the best most original (from my knowledge) books that I have ever read. I bought it on a whim and it didnt dissapoint. This book seemingly combines a multitude of genres and brings them all together into a story which after getting into you cant stop reading.

This book may not be everyones type but rest assured its well worth the money. Based in the 1950's in post war Spain it follows the path of a young boy who is given the chance to take any book of his choice from a sacred hall. Having found a book in the library a series of events tie into it from its creation to its desired destruction. Caught in the center is this young boy and as events unfold so does his life.

Truly a good book buy it and you wont be far disapointed.

Map of Bones (SIGMA FORCE)
Map of Bones (SIGMA FORCE)
by James Rollins

3.0 out of 5 stars nothing amazing..., 27 Sep 2006
This is the first book by James Rollins I have read. I'm unsure if it is his first book but to be fair it isnt a bad read.

This book falls into the sad category of those that are regularly compared to da-vinci code. I think this is unfair on the book and writer of it who, has come up with many intriguing ideas in the novel.

The book is a solid read and kept me well amused and reading when I should have been doing other things. It isnt brilliant but its story, following the path of ancient mystic relics of the fabled three wise men kept me turning the pages. The heroes of the story lead a familiar chase to solve puzzles and get to the treasure before the bad guys (the all knowing Dragon Court) beat them to it.

I would recomend this book to anyone who likes thriller novels with a twist to them, it keeps you thinking and the ending isnt bad either. Enjoyable but nothing amazing...

The Stone Monkey: Lincoln Rhyme Book 4
The Stone Monkey: Lincoln Rhyme Book 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Deaver Again, 10 Aug 2006
The Stone Monkey is just the latest in a series of books by Deaver that I intend to read. As with all teh Lincoln Rhyme thrillers the setting is in New York following the trail of Rhyme and his younger partner and love interest Amelia Sachs.

One of Deaver's greatest strengths is his character detail. He portrays them brilliantly without going over the top as many authors do. Whilst many author's will try to show off by giving every facial detail an analogy such as I dont know, Nesquik coloured hair Deaver just gives you the facts. His characters are much more personal and easy to empathise with.

The Stone Monkey again follows the detectives and their team's in their search for 'gui' or the Ghost. Deaver is constantly pulling strings with characters regularly changing sides (though they havent really it was just an elaborate trick or was it?). Having read a few of the Deaver novels now I have found that I am still unable to guess at what is happening in the book. Whilst some parts of the book have become more obvious, often I am still found wrong in my assumptions.

Deaver is a great writer for anyone who enjoys being puzzled and having their heart rate lifted at the close of every chapter. Another good book and I hope you my review was helpful to anyone reading it, I know my review was more about Deaver than the book but it should give you an idea of what to expect.

The Coffin Dancer
The Coffin Dancer

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Deaver Winner, 7 Aug 2006
This review is from: The Coffin Dancer (Paperback)
The Coffin Dancer is the most recent Jeffery Deaver book I have read. Having previously read The Twelfth Card I have quickly become a fan of Deaver and his NYPD detectives Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs. For this reason I was quick to pick up another one of his books as soon as I had finished the first.

The Coffin Dancer is about a hired hitman called the coffin dancer due to a tattoo of the grim reaper dancing with a woman on his arm. This is not however any ordinary hitman. This is one of the best and most notorious hitmen in the U.S. He rewrites the laws on what is and isn't acceptable. He also happens to be the murderer of Lincoln Rhymes late wife. When he appears again this sets the scene not only for Lincoln's revenge in outsmarting the Dancer but for a twisting tale that again kept me guessing.

It's one thing for a writer to write one book that leaves the reader guessing however a second will often be a secondary effort because the reader will know the writers style and what to expect form them. Deaver changes this and literally nothing is as it seems. The Dancer (Stephen Kall) is trying to kill witnesses to a case of a high profile person hiding evidence. The character of Stephen Kall is brilliantly done as I have come to expect from Deaver. He is the murderer but he is so much more than that. He's a story in himself with his quirks and scares, his arrogance and his professionalism.

The ending is so off the rail and unexpected however still all makes sense that things have happened that way. Everything fits. The Coffin Dancer needs to eliminate three witnesses by the trial on the Monday. With the first one (the husband, the corpse) having died in the opening chapter the dancer is hot on tails of the other two. The stubborn wife, the corpse, wants to go back to work and save her company from going bankrupt. Throwing herself and others ruthlessly in danger in order to save the last love of her life.

The character of the wife again following Deaver's human trend is an unattractive woman both in personality and in her physical features the fact nothing sets her off is what sets her off. Putting herself in danger for the sake of the company gives the Dancer opportunities to strike with the wife's main protection being the CI protector Fred Dellray another one of Deaver's quirky characters. Another great book from Deaver and the Lincoln Rhyme series and another well recommended for anyone.

The Twelfth Card
The Twelfth Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 7 Aug 2006
This review is from: The Twelfth Card (Paperback)
The Twelfth Card by Jeffery Deaver Is the first of his books that I have read. It is based on two of his characters Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs aswell as a host of other character. These are the same detectives that are in the movie The Bone Collecter, an adapted movie form Deaver's Book. When first starting to read a book by an unknown author to yourself it is difficult to get into their style of writing and way of thinking. The same is true with this book.

This follows the pattern, I have since learned of his other books in the Lincoln Rhyme Series. They tend to run into very witty criminals that need to be brought to justice but it's very difficult to catch them. Though it's been done a million times before I think Deaver does very well at keeping you guessing. As is the case when reading thriller books you cant help but guess who the badguys and goodguys in the book are. Deaver for me does a masterful job of keeping the twists secret. If you are not focusing massively on trying to isolate the badguy in the book you are easily lost. Even who you think is bad is good but is really bad but wasn't really important and was just a decoy. Its great to read and is one of the first books to have left me truly puzzled as to who was calling the shots. The way the story comes together too is amazing. Deaver brings in facts from the Criminal Investigator world and uses them to make an amazing story line for the reader.

The book comes together amazingly well in dribs and drabs and you start to realize things as he tells them not as you had previously suspected them to be. His characters too are fantastic not many author's can have you sympathising with the killer whilst still portraying him as an evil maniac. In Deavers books you feel like you know the characters. Important also to mention is that with many books the main characters are images of human perfection. Deavers characters are as human as they come with Lincoln Rhyme being a quadriplegic and Amelia Sachs suffering chronic arthritis. It seems silly me saying this but it really helps you to empathise with the characters of the book almost as real life characters. An amazing book and a great author, I plan on reading many more Jeffery Deaver books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7