Profile for I.R. > Reviews

Surepromise AA282 Key Fob Remote Shell
Surepromise AA282 Key Fob Remote Shell
Offered by Gifts for you

5.0 out of 5 stars Button cover fits my 206 key too., 19 Jan 2013
I should point out that if you do own a 206 and need a new key then this product is more likely to be the one:
Entry Key Remote Fob Shell Case 2 Button for Peugeot 106 107

However, I didn't find that at the time. The plastic bit looked identical to my Peugeot 206SW key and I only needed the plastic button cover with the two padlock logo's on it. Mine had developed cracks and the lumps on the back of the button covers that actually engage with the switches had broken off,and I could no longer lock my car remotely without using two thumbs to squeeze the key. The reason the rest of the key isn't compatible with 206 is because the metal key blank is the wrong shape.
As it states in the description, this is an after market replacement case, so there isn't a Peugeot logo on the back, (which is why none of the photo's show the back.) The side shown in the photo's looks identical, even down to the indented serial number at the top. If you want to be pedantic, the padlock logo's are slightly different, but no-one will notice, or care. The button cover does fit perfectly to the bottom half of the plastics with my actual key in it, although it doesn't snap in quite so tightly, the two halves can be separated with a fingernail, rather than a screwdriver, but since it's being screwed together that doesn't matter. Internally the electronics slid over the locating lugs and lined up with the buttons perfectly, so I can lock my car remotely again. I don't have an immobiliser or alarm, so there is nothing else to swap over.
I bought mine from Gifts for you, who at the time had the cheapest price, albeit with a huge postage charge. Another company are at the top now, with a more honest price and free postage, so take your pick. The one from Gifts for you did arrive next day though, so I will recommend them.

Revel Wet' N Dry Grinder
Revel Wet' N Dry Grinder

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for letting your neighbours know you're cooking, 26 Mar 2012
I decided to buy this despite the numerous negative reviews, mainly because I wanted the "wet" grinding ability. The first thing you notice when using it is the noise. Think electric drill through masonry. I nearly dropped it in shock the first time. I recommend following the instructions concerning using for 5 seconds, then turning off for 5 seconds. As well as letting the motor cool down, it should avoid tinnitus.

The grinding ability appears to be variable. I put some ginger in it, and it took a slice out of the bottom, which then remained under the blade and didn't get chopped further while the rest got pulped. This meant I had to dismantle the top and poke the slice out. Twice. They do provide a spatula for this. However, putting chopped chilli's in created a rather nice paste at the first attempt, and didn't require a further 5 seconds. Putting hard objects like cloves and peppercorns in results in something resembling the grit that accumulates around my patio after a dry spell. These do require several bursts, but the end result is better than I achieved after an extended session with a mortar and pestle.

I haven't noticed any liquids leaking out the bottom yet, unlike some other reviewers, and it appears to be waterproof when I fill it with water to wash out, so not sure how others are getting wet motors. Mind you the wettest I have ground is those chilli's.

This grinder doesn't have its own power switch, rather it starts when the top is aligned with three slots then pushed down. My preferred method is to push the lid fully down, while the base is on the work surface, then flick the mains switch on the wall. The fact that the mains lead is extremely short aids this maneuver.

Edit: Well, 27 months now, and still going strong. My pestle and mortar has now been retired, because this is so much better. You can use it on onions too provided you chop them up first. Makes a lovely smooth curry paste. Just in case anyone is still tempted, recommended!

Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent memory., 23 Mar 2011
This is another one of those products that is difficult to review. You just plug it in and forget about it until it breaks. I can tell you that it works well. It has a an extended specification that allows it to run at a faster speed than its quoted (runs at 1600MHz instead of 1333MHz) if you have a compatible motherboard, without having to fiddle with any complicated BIOS settings. I have been using it daily since purchase on a PC that is used for gaming, and have had absolutely no problems with any part of the machine, time will tell whether it coninues to perform. I have used Corsair before, so fully expect this to last as long as the others.

Akasa AK-183-L2B 12cm Amber Series case fan
Akasa AK-183-L2B 12cm Amber Series case fan
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a fan! It blows air., 23 Mar 2011
OK! I've been invited to review a fan. Er, it spins, air gets blown through. That OK?
Actually, I am well placed to review this particular fan, because I already bought two about three years go. They have had daily use keeping my hard drives cool. They are notably quiet in use, with a good airflow, and after all this time they are still running perfectly with no signs of wear or failing bearings, so they appear to be reliable. Which is the main reason I bought another one. The surround is transparent plastic, and the fan blades are a bright, transparent orange colour. Don't be fooled by the photo, however, and think that this is an LED fan, because there is no illumination at all. The shiny orange blobs in the middle which look like LED lights are actually the motor coils. If you don't care about brightly lit fans and want something reliable then this is recommended. Costs a little more than most, but you get what you pay for etc.