Profile for Emily Hannah > Reviews

Lily doll Astrid
Offered by XS-Stock Com Ltd
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Tatty Presentation, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lily doll Astrid (Toy)
Of the three Lily Dolls I purchased for my daughters 3rd birthday, only one arrived in mint condition. These are classically beautiful toys with a nice folksy feeling to them and I wouldn't be sorry to introduce any of them to our home. However, it was disappointing to have to clean grubby arms and trim fraying clothing immediately after the purchase.

Lily doll Harper
Lily doll Harper
Offered by Littlepersonalmailorderco
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful New Companion, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lily doll Harper (Toy)
Beautifully made and funkily clothed, Harper perfectly illustrates the myriad charms of Lily Dolls and reminds me once again how cross I am that Manhattan Toys discontinued this splendid line.

Little Miss Bronte: Jane Eyre: A BabyLit Counting Primer
Little Miss Bronte: Jane Eyre: A BabyLit Counting Primer
by Jennifer Adams
Edition: Board book
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Another BabyLit Delight, 25 Jan 2014
I am genuinely thrilled to add another BabyLit classic to our collection and found the Jane Eyre Counting Primer as witty, beautifully illustrated and well considered as the previous three books we have purchased BUT...

Where on earth has the number 9 gone??

Unless I have misremembered Jane's habits, she had no particular aversion to it so why does our copy of the book leap from 8 to 10. Baffling.

Kidkraft 65054 Chelsea Doll Cottage
Kidkraft 65054 Chelsea Doll Cottage
Price: 95.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting little house!, 5 Jan 2013
We chose the Chelsea Doll Cottage as a Christmas present for our soon-to-be 2-year-old daughter. We are absolutely delighted with it. As is she!
Our own cottage is too small to hide such a big gift so we didn't put it together until Christmas Eve but luckily everything we needed was provided & the house slowly but surely came together with clear, concise instructions. The backdrops for each room are very nicely rendered, the vintage looking furniture is a lovely touch & the overall effect is quirky without being too pink & cutesy. Just what we wanted.
I would have preferred that the stairs be something other than clunky white plastic & have noticed two small peels beginning on the exterior balcony but, those quibbles aside, the cottage is smashing. We haven't had a bad product from Kidkraft so far & this in particular is one I would highly recommend. The attention to detail is exemplary for the reasonable price (with even the screws colour coordinated to their position) & it has quickly become a favourite plaything.

Tell Me Something
Tell Me Something
by Adele Parks

1.0 out of 5 stars Judging a book purely by its cover, 4 Feb 2009
This review is from: Tell Me Something (Paperback)
I have already reviewed this book in hardback (three stars) but having seen the paperback cover today I felt compelled to speak out again. What is going on Adele?? I know we are all falling down the rabbit hole of crunchy debt but really...cheap and nasty AND ironic?!

The book is titled Tell Me Something, with a cover that tells me nothing. Had I not already made the purchase in hardback I would not be buying this book. I own every novel Adele Parks has written - I can't guarantee this will be the case by the time the next is released.

My Fat Brother
My Fat Brother
by Jim Keeble

5.0 out of 5 stars Penguins, poetry & sibling rivalry...fabulous!, 15 Jan 2009
This review is from: My Fat Brother (Paperback)
God I love this book, I've read it three times in the past couple of years & it still makes me snigger like a moron & chinny wobble with despair in the space of a single chapter.

Like Anna Maxted's Getting Over It, My Fat Brother captures the perfect note of grief amidst absurdity & mundane every day life. Simply one of my favourite books.

Love Scenes (25 Cycle Routes)
Love Scenes (25 Cycle Routes)
by Ralph Storer
Price: 8.42

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Ralph I wanted to fall in love with you..., 27 Sep 2008
but I couldn't.

I always feel a connection with those poor deluded souls who, like me, catalogue their world with a series of movie references. On this basis I took home Love Scenes poised to fall in love, but I utterly failed. We had no chemistry, there was no spark and even the movie-name-drops left me unfullfilled *gasp*.

How did it all go so terribly, terribly, wrong?

The truth is that Love Scenes simply doesn't feel very loving. The quirkiness and self-deprecation that Michael's character seems to be grasping for never quite materialise and he never reads as a flesh and blood leading man. If you can't love your leading man then it follows that the flimsy 'loves' of his life are going to be far from engaging. I'm so disappointed - I really wanted this book to be the one - it had such a charming premise. The blurb asks us why life can't be more like the movies,I ask:

Why can't a book live up to it's blurb.

I'm sorry Ralph, but we must part I just don't love you and I never shall.

Girl with a One-Track Mind: Confessions of the Seductress Next Door
Girl with a One-Track Mind: Confessions of the Seductress Next Door
by Abby Lee
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Girl with a limited vocabulary, 30 Aug 2008
Hmmm. I tried to like this book, I tried to like Abby, but doesn't read as a book it reads as the diary of a lonely teenaged girl with a vivid imagination and an idea that the word frig is scandalous. It's not, just frigging irritating when repeated too often.

I'm not a great blog fan but I can see how snippets of this 'world' would fill a coffee break or dull morning at the office beautifully it's just...not very real. Ultimately a real life confessional should feature a little glimpse of a real life. Abby didn't seem to have one. Or friends. It came across as a little sad and hollow. There's nothing titillating about loneliness.

Essex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll
Essex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll
by Jonathan Durden
Price: 6.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Irvine Welsh with an Essex accent!, 18 July 2008
A great ballsy romp of a read, by turns touching, twisted, deep, dark & dirty!

Imagine relocating Trainspotting to the Essex suburbs for the rough & ready appeal, with the Rock 'n' Roll factor ably provided by a believable sneak peek at the world of advertising & you're halfway there.

The WAG's Diary
The WAG's Diary
by Alison Kervin
Price: 8.54

1.0 out of 5 stars Witless, annoying, generic - WAG's Diary, 29 Jun 2008
This review is from: The WAG's Diary (Paperback)
I cannot believe there are only two one-star reviews on here for this dismal book. I have never felt compelled to write a review before but, despite the fact I got The WAG's Diary free with Glamour magazine, I still feel dirty & used for contributing to its distribution.

Poorly written, lacking continuity of tone & downright lazy - it's all very well to cash in on a trend by name dropping a pop culture reference, however it would be a little more tasteful to take the time to build more than one dimension into the characters. Perhaps if this were written for Mizz magazine it would be somewhat more justified in its insubstantiality. As it was written for adults...try harder next time.

Even half-price-paperback-offer Asda shoppers deserve better. For shame!