Profile for M. B. Walsh > Reviews

Content by M. B. Walsh

M. B. Walsh "bookbug" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Inner Bonding: Becoming a Loving Adult to Your Inner Child
Inner Bonding: Becoming a Loving Adult to Your Inner Child
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great, clear book, 1 July 2014
this is a great book, the most clear explanation I've ever read of the adult/inner child communication, what is happening when it goes well or badly, and how to help it be better. Great, clear explanations, great real-life examples, no waffle.

the only thing I would say is that I have a older kindle that can't zoom in, so I found the diagrams difficult to view, but I can view them on my laptop. I've just bought the paperback edition as well.

Weveel Twistios Puppies and Kittens Sculpture Kit
Weveel Twistios Puppies and Kittens Sculpture Kit
Offered by ACORNSTORE
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars instructions not very clear, 28 May 2013
we just bought this locally. It looks like it could be great fun, and the materials are good quality, but the instructions aren't very clear - it's just what's on the side of the box. There's a lot of detail missing.

I've contacted the manufacturer and will update this review if I get further information, but for now it's a bit frustrating. Really hope we get to make them as they look cute :-)

Motherless Mothers: How Losing a Mother Shapes the Parent You Become
Motherless Mothers: How Losing a Mother Shapes the Parent You Become
by Hope Edelman
Price: 8.81

5.0 out of 5 stars positive, healing book, 3 April 2013
this is a really positive, healing book, about losing a mother through early death or being absent because of illness or other reasons, and what effect it can have on how someone parents their own children.

it's a very positive book that made me smile at times when recognizing familiar patterns. So while there is sadness, it is very constructive, realistic and grounded. The author shares her own experiences and research she has done with many mothers over different circumstances.

I would definitely recommend it.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars too short, 6 Mar 2013
the vest is reasonably well made, but it's much shorter than it appears in the photo - it's about 2/3 the length, in my opinion.

Petlife Flectalon Hi-Vis Dog Jacket Complete with Thermal Lining, 12-inch, Fluorescent Yellow
Price: 19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars great dog coat, 1 Nov 2012
This is a great coat.

The material reflects body heat, so it's not too bulky, yet it's warm.

Also, I've found in the past that velcro straps get clogged with dog hair; the fact that this clicks shut is great.

My dog is easy to see in the park and at night, and it washes well. We've had it for a year now, I've just ordered a second one.

Bluelounge Cable Box Cable Management /Tidy Solution in White
Bluelounge Cable Box Cable Management /Tidy Solution in White
Price: 24.96

4.0 out of 5 stars great for tidying cables, 1 May 2012
I have one already, for my desktop - I use it to house a 4-plug (UK) extension lead. That's enough for my laptop, phone charger and printer, and allows easy access if I want to move them around. it's perfect.

The other cables are at my feet, behind my desk. They're for more permanent connections, and hard to access.

I've just bought another one for our TV connections - I think they're great.

On the minus side, I don't think you could comfortably put two 4-plug (UK) extension leads into one of these.

Mixed Wrap Cable Fastener for UK 3PIN Chargers
Mixed Wrap Cable Fastener for UK 3PIN Chargers
Price: 4.06

5.0 out of 5 stars great for chargers, 25 Jan 2012
these are great for chargers. They look well in the drawer, really neat. I love the space to be able to write down what the charger is, for example: "Peter's phone", so I can find the right charger easily, especially there are 3-4 black chargers that look alike. The only thing is they don't hold thicker cables, so they didn't work for my camera charger.

I tried the Velcro Stick Cable Ties, 180 x 20mm,10 pack / 5 Colours, but while they're great for static cables, they often drop off and are lost when used with chargers, that are often moved and unwrapped/re-wrapped. These are much better, as they will stay on with just one strand of wire running through.

Just also to clarify that there are three chargers per box - I thought there was only one, so I got more than I thought I needed. However, I used them after all - I found more chargers once I sorted the drawer :-).

XML in Technical Communication
XML in Technical Communication
by Charles Cowan
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, but there is a later edition, 8 Feb 2011
this is a great book, just note that this is the *first* edition, and the second edition is available since Sep 2010.

Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion (Knuffle Bunny Series)
Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion (Knuffle Bunny Series)
by Mo Willems
Price: 10.54

5.0 out of 5 stars still same high standard, but be slightly cautious, 20 Jan 2011
this is a well-loved, excellent series. Great writing, humour and illustrations.

I would just be cautious about a younger child, who's anxious about giving up their favourite toy or cuddly.
If they're a fan, then buy it, and keep it until they're a bit older (and re-read it as much as the others), but be prepared that they may not like the book initially.

Single Sourcing: Building Modular Documentation
Single Sourcing: Building Modular Documentation
by Kurt Ament
Price: 31.66

5.0 out of 5 stars low-key, excellent information, 20 Jan 2011
I've had this book for a while, and have dipped into it as a reference.
It's only when I decided to sit down and started reading it through that I appreciated what a gem it was. It's very low-key, but the author is clearly very experienced in this area.
Tips like (I'm paraphrasing) "if you don't have time for both online and printed documentation, put the time into improving online documentation, and it will naturally improve the quality of the printed output".

It's very relevant, with the rise of wiki-style documentation tools.

Page: 1 | 2