Profile for Dave > Reviews

What Have We Become
Offered by Amore DVD
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant!, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: What Have We Become (Audio CD)
I could not wait to get this album as i always loved the Beautiful south and with the combination of the fantastic Jaqui Abbott alongside Paul, made it a must buy for my collection and it doesnt disappoint either. The title track is great to listen to and very amusing as it the one of the bonus tracks - Advice to daughters, if not only for what Paul tells Sting to do with his message in a bottle! Stupid tears is a great punchy track that gets your foot tapping and the varying styles of music on the album should cater for everyones taste. Anyone who doesnt like DIY for example must be tone deaf or have no taste in good music.

One thing I will say is that this album needs listening to over and over again to fully appreciate it - The reviewers who didnt like the album cant have played it much as there is not one single track that i can be negative about. Mr Heaton and Ms Abbott are a unique talent and cannot be compared to anyone else in my opinion hence my five star rating

The Complete Studio Recordings 1973 - 1988
The Complete Studio Recordings 1973 - 1988
Price: 22.52

5.0 out of 5 stars The MUST have collection of 2013!, 25 Jun 2013
I finally got my hands on this bargain collection of 3 per disc definitive showaddywaddy collection of every song ever recorded from 1973 - 1988 and it does not disappoint! The discs are in individual replica sleeves of the original vinyl releases and beautifully presented in a nice box along with a detailed booklet with a foreword from the great man himself - original frontman Dave Bartram. The real gem of the collection for me though is the b sides and rarities discs which include previously unheard versions of some of their hits and album tracks plus unique never before released tracks. Dave Bartram singing `mona lisa` is a great bonus and should have been on the `living legends` album instead of the late Buddy Gasks rather weak version (sorry Buddy). `Pretty little one` alternative version is better than the original version as well as `Nobody Is` and finally a cleaned up version of the brilliant `old habits die hard` (written by Dave Bartram) which sounded distorted on previous recordings but no longer! The Bonus track `Teach you how to rock & roll` is a very rocky track and great to hear for the first time - why it was never ever a single is beyond me.
`
The B sides disc has some gems on it that sound so good on CD -`Cool Cool Cat`, `Really going out of my mind`,`Five minutes more`,Lucy Jane` and `One of these days` being some of my favorites and demonstrating the bands songwriting talents that were often overlooked by the critics claiming the band were just a `covers` band! - Nothing could be further from the truth and the fact that they wrote their first hits makes the critics look very ignorant. I would go so far as to say that if you are not a particular Showaddywaddy fan and think that you know their `sound` then think again as they will greatly surprise you. I have friends who have knocked my love of the bands music and have then played them Showaddywaddy tracks that shut them up! - I could not let this bargain collection pass me by (despite having all the albums and singles on vinyl) and anyone reading this review should not pass up the chance to own a copy of a brilliant british bands colection of songs that will put a spring in your step!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2013 10:00 PM BST

Life In A Beautiful Light
Life In A Beautiful Light
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better and better!, 4 Jan 2013
Got the CD for xmas present (requested as have original album) and have to say that is is fantastic! Ms Mcdonald has an incredible talent and to think I only heard the original hit single `this is the life` track on the radio in order to buy the album!

She is so much better than many so called top artists in my humble opinion and deserves to go on to be recognised as THE best!

I cannot believe how young she is and the fact that she wrote the songs and learnt guitar from just listening to her favorite songs and somehow playing along and getting good at it (I am a very basic self taught guitar player who has never improved in over 20 years of owning one - but then I do not play it every day like you are supposed to)

The title track `Life in a beautiful light` is actually my favorite track at the moment, but you need to keep playing the album over and over and let the songs get into your blood as they are all superb.

I cant say anymore except that I have just got the second album `A Curious Thing` as I want to own all of her songs and not miss out!!

Panasonic TA1 Full HD Pocket Camcorder - Grey (8MP Still Images, Skype Compatible Webcam, Built In USB) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little camcorder for the money, 19 Jan 2012
After reading reviews about this camcorder and the many other makes including the flip ultra 3rd gen camcorder,Kodak playsport etc, I could not make up my mind about which was best to go for, but being a Panasonic fan decided to plump for the HM-TA1 as it has an 8mp camera (actually only 5mp but is boosted to 8mp) and i wanted to take decent photos as well as video - something that is achieved more or less pretty well with this camcorder plus it has a useful light for dark indoor shots.

Firstly, there have been many complaints about the USB port being very fiddly due to the covering flap being hard to get off - Not so actually as if you read the manual (which those reviewers obviously did not) you will find that all you need to do is slide the usb slider button to extend the port and it will pop the cover open automatically - easy peasy!!

Secondly there were complaints about charging via USB - and I would agree with that, but with a removable lithium ion battery it makes sense to buy the seperate mains/car charger kit from amazon from around 8 upwards and charge it in a couple of hours whereverer you are- see link below - simples!!

PowerPlanet Panasonic VW-VBJ10E-K Fast 1-2hr Battery Travel (UK, Europe, USA Mains/Car) Charger for PANASONIC HM-TA1, SDR-H26, SDR-S7, SDR-S9, SDR-S10, SDR-S15, SDR-S25, SDR-S26, SDR-SW20, SDR-SW21

The cover flaps are not too niggly nor too flimsy (as has also been mentioned in other reviews)and if operated with normal care should not break unless you have sausage fingers. You have to attach the USB extension lead (supplied) to connect to your PC and I think it is a better idea than letting it hang off your PC ports!

I am disappointed that there is no 60fps option in 720HD mode like the Kodak and Flip Ultra 3rd gen but then the footage appears crisp and clean enough with good colour and pretty good sound pick up for a mono mic. Panning will cause slight blurring of video footage so best to keep as still as possible for best results and not use the digital zoom either as will cause similar problems.

A lack of an HDMI port is another let down as is the lack of an included protective pouch for the camcorder, but a plus is that you do get an AV lead to connect to your TV so at least you can see what you`ve recorded instantly (even though you cannot lose the onscreen display icons which would be recorded along with your clips if you saved them onto a freeview HD recorder for example - though i understand that most other makes do the same)

My main gripe though has to be the playability on my Windows XP PC which at 3.2GHZ with 2GB DDR RAM and 256MB graphics card should be able to play MP4 smoothly - but alas they will not play unless loaded into the included HD Writer software but even then they play slowly and lose frames! Maybe you need a dual core CPU? - I dont know but am extremely disappointed about that issue - if anyone techy out there has a solution then please reply to this review! - That issue was why I gave four and not five stars because it is in itself a fantastic little unit!!

Technisat HDFS Freesat HD Receiver
Technisat HDFS Freesat HD Receiver

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread!, 3 Aug 2010
Just bought this fantastic box of tricks after reading review after review of this and other boxes - The decider for me was the iplayer function (with wireless lan adapter) and ability to use as a PVR with a simple pen drive!

Picture quality is great, also very simple to set up. Had to do a software update to enable iplayer function which was a slight niggle as it wiped previous wlan settings so they had to be re-entered! - bear that in mind before entering settings on initial set up.

All in all an amazing box and very well built - it is great to be able to record/pause TV on a satellite box that is not a SKY box (I have heard that SKY plus box recording & pause live tv functions are disabled when subscriptions are cancelled which is very poor in my view and they deserve to lose customers if that is how they treat them). The usb lan adapter is a must with this purchaseTechnisat USB WLAN Adaptor

Reunited
Reunited
Offered by Entertainment Direct
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Reunited (Audio CD)
Got the album for christmas as always liked the Cliff ant the Shadows - I am totally amazed at how youthful and full of energy the album is with all the old favorites delivered with a fresh serving of pure magic from the guys!

Cliffs voice sounds just as young and just merges perfectly with the Shadows backing vocals and superb guitar work. I didnt expect it to sound quite so good to be honest as the boys have been around a long time -no disrespect to them intended!

I am hoping to get the DVD for my birthday so that I can get a taste of the venue experience as it must have been fantastic! - I hope they decide to reform again in ten years but realise it might be wishful thinking. I just hope I still have the same energy (and all my hair) at their age!

- the boys still rock!!

Sony MDRRF800RK Basic Rechargeable RF Wireless Headphone
Sony MDRRF800RK Basic Rechargeable RF Wireless Headphone

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, 25 Nov 2009
I had these as a gift less than two years ago and was very pleased with them apart from the cheap feel of them - but they are Sony I thought and so will last years.......

How wrong was I? - They just died a few weeks ago and after little use. I Dont know what the fault is as the transmitter led lights up green and the headphones led lights up red as it should - but there is no sound at all!

I have tried different batteries and checked out all the settings (channels,volume etc) but it looks like something has just failed in the electronics of it.

I am extremely disappointed that they had such a short life with such little use as they are not the cheapest headphones out there. I will not buy from Sony again as their customer services basically said `tough luck`!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2009 9:38 PM GMT

The Sun Album
The Sun Album
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 13.06

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album this band has made!, 19 July 2008
This review is from: The Sun Album (Audio CD)
If you enjoy a lively, energetic full bodied rock `n` roll sound, then you cannot afford to miss this fantastic new album from Showaddywaddy!

Forget all the old Showaddywaddy images in your mind as this album is nothing like that - and the band went to the actual sun studio in Memphis (where Elvis started) to record it! The album opens with a fantastic bang `Flyin Saucer Rock `n`Roll` and is my personal favorite, but every single track is great and sadly through lack of promotion ( a standard Showaddywaddy failing) a lot of people will miss out on what this band are capable of! They are true rock `n` rollers that have created a fresh sound that is simply bursting with a youthful energy that doesnt seem possible with a band that has had THIRTY FIVE YEARS under their belts! - FANTASTIC STUFF -BUY IT OR LOSE OUT!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2012 12:34 AM GMT

Showaddywaddy - Rock And Roll Music [2007] [DVD]
Showaddywaddy - Rock And Roll Music [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Showaddywaddy

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare opportunity to see a great band on DVD, 14 April 2008
It is a shame that the original videos of showaddywaddy tracks that are on this DVD are not present but taken from a german TV show (where they are still very popular). The originals were on VHS years ago and have never migrated to DVD but it is fantastic to see the boys entertaining `live` on a DVD as unless you go to see them (yes they still tour non-stop)perform live there will be few TV opportunities unless their brand new DVD and album (currently being recorded in Memphis)is advertised and puts them back in the spotlight!

This DVD has a fantastic interview with original members lead singer Dave Bartram as well as ace Drummer Romeo challenger and makes for a very interesting and humurous additional hours entertainment on top of the video tracks! - all in all it is a great value DVD and worth every penny which cannot be said for some of todays so called artists! GO BUY!!

Set The Mood
Set The Mood
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected!, 14 Feb 2008
This review is from: Set The Mood (Audio CD)
Bought the album for `sun goes down` which is fab. I was expecting similar energy and punch in the other tracks and whilst it is fair to say the first four tracks are a great start to the album, I felt that it lost its way a bit after the initial buzz - I hope to see more of this new kid on the block though as he has potential to be great and he doesnt have to sound like seal (which sun goes down doesnt) to get there!

I only gave the album 3 stars to reflect the fact that I only really liked half the album - it is all `listenable` though and sun goes down could have been a eurovision winner if entered if it were not such a political contest these days!

Page: 1 | 2