Profile for leo > Reviews

leo

Icons and the Name of God
Icons and the Name of God

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Jan. 2015
The most intelligent book on iconography.

Essential Trading Organic Dark Chocolate Spread 400 g (Pack of 3)
Essential Trading Organic Dark Chocolate Spread 400 g (Pack of 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars misleading & only 30% cocoa powder, 8 Dec. 2012
I don't really like dark chocolate, but I decided to give it a go for the obvious health reasons. That being said, I looked at all available options and decided to go for this one because I can spread it on something (meaning that I could turn it into something more edible). I agree to most things others say about the taste - it's better than expected (not that 'dark', that is) but it tastes a lot like I'm eating margarine.

However, the reason I can only rate it two stars is that I feel tricked into buying a different product from the one I thought I was buying. Unlike most (if not all) other dark chocolates I looked at (with a horrifying amount of cocoa - up to 80, even 90%) this one only has 30%.

That would still not be a problem IF they actually indicated it somewhere, but you only find this out when you get the product. Again, I thought I was buying dark chocolate, but I ended up with lots of sunflower oil & non-hydrogenated fat (these two and cane sugar are the first three ingredients mentioned on the bottle). I feel the seller should clearly say that the product only contains 30 % cocoa - THIS is the main reason people buy dark chocolate.

I shall not buy this again. I'll go for the real, 80% cocoa chocolate - awful, but healthy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2013 6:26 PM GMT

Bach: 6 Cello Suites BWV 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011 & 1012 (2 CDs)
Bach: 6 Cello Suites BWV 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011 & 1012 (2 CDs)

5.0 out of 5 stars what an absolute surprise!, 8 Dec. 2012
Before anything else, I'm not a professional, so this is my own - personal & limited - response to this music.

Up to these cello suites, when I thought of Bach I simply thought of boring (no offence) church music - worse still, I had this representation of music totally alien to me, something that would never possibly touch or move me. How wrong was I, and how fortunate I am to have forced myself to give these cello suites a try!

They are unexpectedly raw and almost violent in the way they affect you. Because I'm not a professional, there's no honest way I could rate him against other players; however, if these suites were meant to take your heart out & rip it to bits, he definitely achieves it. At times, you do hear a bit of his breathing, but I somehow like that - a lot.

Bride of the Lamb
Bride of the Lamb
by Sergius Bulgakov

5.0 out of 5 stars the one to read, 27 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Bride of the Lamb (Paperback)
If you want to have a feeling about the heavy side of Orthodox theology, Bulgakov is clearly the one author you must read. And out of his books, Bride of the Lamb is the one volume not to miss for many good reasons.

This is an author who wrote all his life - he grew from an economist into a philosopher and, eventually, a theologian; along the years, he wrote many things that he himself rejected or ended up contradicting later in life. This is also a problem when is comes to choosing what to read. Bride of the Lamb is his final book, published after his death and gives us the best idea about the final conclusions of a man who always looked for meaning, never simply accepted it.

Bulgakov is perhaps the most controversial theologan of the last century - some have labelled him a heretic (including the politically motivated Church of Moscow; but none of the other Orthodox churches) others have written about the visible light that shone on his face as he died.

The Bride of the Lamb is a difficult read; the book is massive and one that doesn't allow you to go through more than a few pages per reading session; it's dense and full of brilliant ideas on each paragraph - when you finally finish it, you feel part of a worldview that you just don't want to let go anymore.

For those interested into academic writing, Bulgakov is the first (and only) serious Orthodox theologian who took up questions regarding ecology, economy or art. His interest was not so much in 'going back' to the Fathers but rather to build on their foundation. He is the only Orthodox theologian I've read who doesn't seem afraid of the world and is actually looking for ways to understand it and incorporate it in his theology.