Profile for H.J. Steane > Reviews

Content by H.J. Steane

H.J. Steane (Scotland, UK)

Grizzly Man [2005] [DVD]
Grizzly Man [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Werner Herzog
Offered by Market garys Dvd's
Price: 7.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim & The Bears, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Grizzly Man [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Grizzly Man is the poignant and ultimately tragic tale of Timothy Treadwell, who spent 13 summers living with wild Grizzly Bears on a remote Alaskan peninsula. At the end of his 13th summer, Treadwell and his girlfriend were killed and partially eaten by one of the bears. During the final five years, Treadwell took along a video camera and shot over 100 hours of footage, which was then taken on board by Werner Herzog to make this stunning documentary.

The film itself is a tale of two ideologies. On the one hand, we have Timothy Treadwell, who basically believed that nature was fundamentally benevolent. What we see of Treadwell is primarily footage of himself in front of the camera describing how it is his duty to protect the bears and look after them. It is certainly true that he was well aware of the dangerous situation he placed himself in, but perhaps his devotion to the subject blinded him from seeing that there is a great tangible distance between humans and bears. In doing so he crosses an invisible line, and gets frighteningly close to these wild animals, arguably putting them in as much danger as he does himself.

On the other hand, we have Herzog, who is the great Germanic nihilist. He narrates the film beautifully, often disagreeing with Treadwell's viewpoint, but crucially he never mocks, derides or castigates Treadwell for what he does. Interspersed within Treadwell's footage is several interviews with those who knew him best. The pain is clearly still evident for several of them, with one friend remarking "Timmy doesn't feel dead."

There are moments throughout which are ridiculous, some of which are laugh out loud funny, and some which are highly moving and sad. We watch these majestic creatures in their natural habitat, amid some awe-inspiring natural backdrop, and sympathise to some extent with Treadwell, who clearly died doing what he loved, and doing what he felt was a little bit of good in this sadistic and greedy world of ours.

From a production point of view, the film looks and sounds majestic. Richard Thompson's guitar heavy soundtrack is highly reminiscent of Brokeback Mountain, and tugs at the heartstrings throughout, as do the sweeping shots of the Alaskan wilderness in which Treadwell perished.

Ultimately, this is a deeply engrossing look at obsessive behaviour gone awry, but it is a beautiful and thought-provoking film which is undoubtedly one of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

9.5/10

"Haz"

TP-Link TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch
TP-Link TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch
Price: 5.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great AND affordable for students, 8 Dec 2011
As a student currently in University Halls, this little beauty has enabled me to connect both my PS3 and laptop to the interent simulataneously. Sound simple? It is.

Although you need to buy ethernet cables seperately, this consistently maintains a high-speed connection, and for any other students in a similar situation to mine, this is an absolute gem. It's simple, light, effective, cheap and so far I've had no mechanical or technical mishaps. Long may this continue.

A few very small issues include a slight whirring, which can be irritating if no other sounds are present in the room. It does have a a basic, plastic feel, but considering I paid less than 7 quid for it, it certainly doesn't warrant a complaint. Finally, I suppose technically it is only possible to hook up 4 components, as one of the ports is taken up by the etherent cable connected to the router/modem. Other than that, it works superbly and suits me perfectly.

Don't pay more for similar products, as this is absolutely fine and I can't imagine anything else having any significant advantages. Superb.

Haz.

Hair Shaper Texturising Creme Lite 75 g
Hair Shaper Texturising Creme Lite 75 g
Price: 6.65 - 16.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fudge Above the Rest, 8 Dec 2011
For me, this works brilliantly. I have medium length, fairly thick hair, and after years of having hair products which made me look I had been dragged through a hedge backwards, 'Fudge' seems to have done the trick.

Without using a large amount of the 'creme', and preferally combined with straighteners and a comb, this gives a great matte finish which I can shape into almost any style I choose, and as such suits me perfectly.

Pros:

- Provides great hold (hairspray can be applied if slightly wetter/darker look is wanted).
- Gives a lovely looking matte finish (personally, I damp my hair slightly first to avoid it looking too dry).
- Has a nice smell (not too strong, but quite sweet).
- Very little of the product is required for effect.
- Washes out very easily (unlike most gels/waxes out there).

Cons:

- As another reviewer said, the packaging does take up about half, if not more, of the product.
- Not cheap (although having said that, not a lot is needed per use).
- Probably not suitable for long-ish hair (just my opinion though, it might work great!)

Overall then, I would rank the 'Fudge Shaper Original' as being the best stuff out there for the ability to style your hair, with both a natural looking matte finish and strong hold. If your after a 'wetlook', then look elsewhere, but at the moment I and am a very satisfied customer, and hopefully this stuff will go the distance and last me for some time. It does what it says on the tin (well, tub), and allows you to make your hair look the way you want it to. Top stuff.

Haz.