ARRAY(0xa46f9fb4)

Singled Out:
by Virginia Nicholson
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Intersting book - too long, 25 Nov 2008
This review is from: Singled Out: (Paperback)
I found the book rather chatty. Some key messages/topics were repeated too often for my taste - I even got bored at times. For example the author kept stressing the fact that it was hard for a woman without a male provider to keep herself, especially in a time when women's job opportunities were rare. I felt as if this statement appeared on every page. If the author had shortened some chapters, and kept the writing more concise, it would have been a better book.
Altogether, I'd buy the book again. It makes an interesting reading, and reminds today's women that their rights have been hard fought for.

The Unknown Ajax
The Unknown Ajax
by Georgette Heyer
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit boring, 14 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Unknown Ajax (Paperback)
One of my least favourites books by Georgette Heyer.
Hugh, the "Weaver's brat" arrives at Darracott Place to take his place as heir. Hugh deliberately behaves stupidly and uneducated to mock the Darracot family's prejudices, which leads to a few slightly amusing incidents.
The character of his cousin Anthea starts strongly, and makes the reader want to learn more about this courageous lady. Sadly, Anthea then remains weirdly colourless throughout the book.
The book also doesn't convince of the blossoming romance between the two protagonists, Hugh and Anthea. Looking back on the interaction the characters have throughout the book, I still cannot see why they fall for each other. I certainly missed some of the sparkling dialogues of Heyer's other books.
The free-trading plot drags on quite a bit, and I found it at parts rather boring. The last 30 pages of the book are funny, though the pace of the last part doesn't sit comfortable with the rest of the book.
It may be an issue that the humour and wit of this book is not to everybody's taste as some other praising reviews show.
My recommendation: if this is your first Georgette Heyer book, start with another one.

The Talisman Ring
The Talisman Ring
by Georgette Heyer
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Action and Comedy, 14 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Talisman Ring (Paperback)
One of Heyer's best books: full of action, hilarious dialogues and an element of slapstick comedy that makes you giggle all along. In this aspect the book is similar to Grand Sophie or Arabella - just better and funnier.
If you need something to cheer you up on a rainy grey day, then this is the book for you.

The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning
The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning
by Gina Ford
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars For mums who never cooked before, 15 April 2006
Before becoming a Mum, cooking was not high on my priority list - well, to be honest, I did not cook at all. So cooking for my little one terrified me a bit - till I was recommended Gina's book. The recipes are very easy to follow - even a total beginner like myself cannot go wrong. And my daughter loved every single meal I cooked from the book. My recommendation: go for it.