Profile for G. E. Price > Reviews

This Is Society Dance Music
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance Band, 9 Jan 2010
Lester Lanin's dance bands have played all over America and is on call whenever our Queen wants a jolly evening for her guests.

The tempo is strictly ballroom with more character and style than, say, Victor Sylvestor. Even if I had only one leg I think I'd try to get up and dance to it. Unfortunately I've not heard a word about it since a friend brought tapes over for me from America.

Betrayal: The Life and Lies of Bernie Madoff
Betrayal: The Life and Lies of Bernie Madoff
by Andrew Kirtzman

5.0 out of 5 stars Laura on "Betrayal", 9 Jan 2010
This biography is extremely well presented and interesting from start to finish.

What is so facinating to me is how extraordinary it seems that a person can create such mayhem, keep it secret for so many years, and end up with a calm lovely face. A first class example of "never judge a book by its cover".

The exact opposite is the face of the man (forgotten his name) who so betrayed Lehman Brothers, so judge your books with caution.

Soft Lights and Sweet Music: the Scores of Angela Morley
Soft Lights and Sweet Music: the Scores of Angela Morley
Price: 16.46

5.0 out of 5 stars John Wilson Light Orchestra, 9 Jan 2010
John Wilson has created the best light orchestra I have heard for many a long year.

For me it is nostalgic due to the fact that I'm terribly old (77) so I can sit listening to it whilst dreaming away of the days when life was no hassle, happy, great fun and less intense than to-day.

For me the best recording is one I had to have specially created for me of the John Wilson Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall playing music from MGM musicals.

I have all his CDs but there can never be enough, so maybe he will jog up and down waving his baton to many more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2011 11:22 AM BST

Trying to Please
Trying to Please
by John Julius Norwich

5.0 out of 5 stars Laura's Thoughts, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Trying to Please (Hardcover)
It was most interesting to read a journey through a life that was so well writen and so varied.

I read this book with an atlas by my chair to look up the places JJN has been I knew so little about that I didn't een know where it was.

An added delight was the fact that he had been travelling from a very young age, with no visible restraint on the cost, and with an entry to so many places that the average reader would have no hope of ever seeing. This made a refreshing change from the poverty struck back packer who seeks out every freebie they can get and thereby writes on the fag-end of life.

Because I'm not the brightest pebble on the beach I found the books on Byzantium heavy going.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2011 10:48 AM GMT