Profile for Dippy Bird > Reviews

Content by Dippy Bird

Dippy Bird (Dorset, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Morning Of My Life
Morning Of My Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for one track..., 4 July 2013
This review is from: Morning Of My Life (MP3 Download)
but the rest of the album is smashing. I didn't know John Holt but the track Morning of My Life was played at the funeral service of an old friend this year. It was fabulous (both the song and the choice of it for that occasion) so I searched Amazon when I got home and decided I'd go for the whole album. Very glad I did. One of life's serendipitous moments. Rest in peace John (friend's name! ).

Linens Limited 100% Turkish Cotton 500gsm Guest Towel, Terracotta
Linens Limited 100% Turkish Cotton 500gsm Guest Towel, Terracotta
Offered by Linens Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely weight and feel, 4 July 2013
These towels feel a very good quality - substantial with a good, close weave. The colour is slightly darker than the picture shown -slightly more browny terracotta than the peachy look in this image. I bought them to use as my hand washing towel for the basin in the bathroom and the size will be just right - definitely more than a tiny guest size of towel. I am now considering buying other sizes in the range. They arrived very quickly and the quality is good for the price.

Pack Of Three 25 Litre Recycling Bins
Pack Of Three 25 Litre Recycling Bins
Offered by Funky Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Order out of chaos, 23 Feb. 2013
Our local authority operate a wheelie bin collection for rubbish (weekly) and recycling (fortnightly). As a one person household I have a relatively small amount of kitchen rubbish per week (maybe 2 carrier bags' worth) but a good deal more recycling. These 3 bins have single handedly ordered my indoor rubbish disposal. I use one for ordinary rubbish and the other 2 for recycling. The 3 bins sit neatly in a row in a not large kitchen. They take a standard swing bin liner (Tesco value brand) with plenty of spare bag for tying up. My outdoor wheelie bins are a bit away from my house so these 3 bins will reduce the times I need to go out to empty my rubbish + recycling. A great buy at a reasonable price. Delivery was also very good - ordered on a Sunday and delivered Thursday lunch.

Can't believe I'd be getting enthusiastic about rubbish bins but they really have made a huge difference to the orderliness of my home.

Aluminum Bluetooth Keyboard Case Stand for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 IP49
Aluminum Bluetooth Keyboard Case Stand for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 IP49
Offered by Aikeer

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect addition to my Galaxy Note 10.1, 13 Feb. 2013
Since buying my Note 10.1 early in January I've hardly touched my laptop. However, the drawback of a tablet is the touch screen virtual keyboard which, if you trained to touch type as I did, is frustratingly slow to use. I was encouraged by the positive review of A. Raghu and I would agree with it completely.

I've never tried to sync a Bluetooth product but the simple instructions that came with the keyboard were straightforward and in seconds the keyboard and my tablet were communicating. The keyboard is small (obviously) but if you can touch type you very soon make the adjustment with your finger spacing. One slight design drawback (being right handed) is that the space bar sits quite a bit to the left in relation to the keyboard itself and therefore when you tap down with your right thumb to hit the space bar you are very close to the Alt key which is next to it. As I say it is really only a slight design drawback but something to be aware of if you are typing at any speed. So far the keys respond well and it is such a good feeling to be able to type (relatively) normally. I've yet to explore fully how all the operational keys work in relation to the on-screen apps and whether I still need to use my S-Pen to touch the screen, but all will come clear in time.

The keyboard as a cover sits easily but securely over the Note 10.1. The cover has raised rubber 'feet' at the inside four corners so that the keys do not rub against the table screen. When the cover is on you can still easily access the charging socket for the tablet and the battery charging socket for the keyboard itself is accessible down the side. It certainly does a good job of protecting the face of the tablet and looks very sleek and stylish.

All in all I think this is a pretty brilliant product. Oh and it arrived within 6 days of placing my order. It comes in its own box with simple setting up instructions and was despatched in a jiffy bag. The words in the product description on the box made me smile. I think it was first written in one language and then translated by someone speaking another language and then ended up in some form of English. You will understand what I mean when you buy it!

Lock laces - white
Lock laces - white
Offered by TRI KUDU

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Lock laces - white (Apparel)
These are just perfect for doing the job of keeping my trainers securely and permanently laced without my needing to bed down and tie them each time. I'd once had a pair of lightweight walking shoes sold with this type of lace already in place and was really pleased to be able to slip the shoes on quickly when the dogs needed walkies. I'd often wondered if or where the laces could be bought separately.

If you have very arthritic fingers you might need someone else to set up the clasp for you because the spring mechanism that holds the laces in position is quite small & firm but, once in place, away you go. Happy days.

JVL FABRIC LAUNDRY BAG - GREEN
JVL FABRIC LAUNDRY BAG - GREEN

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than I thought, 17 Oct. 2012
This review is from: JVL FABRIC LAUNDRY BAG - GREEN
From the photograph I imagined this bag to be slightly larger than a big shopping bag. I was wrong - it is considerably bigger! It could easily hold a family's laundry. But it is a bright, attractive bag even though for my needs as a single user it is more than I really require. A brilliant price and is a cheery addition to laundry facilities.

Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Red
Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 12 Oct. 2012
I bought this in March 2011 when I bought my Kindle 3 (keyboard). It certainly protects the Kindle well and gives very easy access to all the necessary buttons (page turners) and the on/off switch, battery charger socket, etc. at the bottom. It is also handy on occasions to be able to prop up the Kindle using the stand facility, especially sitting up in bed. The main drawback is the flimsiness of the bottom hinges. The thin leatherette coating began to show signs of splitting within a matter of just a few months and now, 15 months or so later, the hinges are just hanging on by the polyester wadding-type material inside. I have now ordered TYMEX IT Exclusive PU Leather Book Case for Amazon Kindle 3 - Light Blue in the hope that the longer hinge at the side of the cover will withstand my regular use of the Kindle better than the Duragadget cover. I can sacrifice the stand facility if it means a more secure hinge.

The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (includes Guided Meditation Practices CD)
by Mark Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars I see hope on the horizon, 12 Oct. 2012
I have lived with, battled with, sobbed over, etc., etc., depression for the majority of my adult life (now 50 something) and have read a wide variety of books/articles on the subject in an effort to find lasting help. This book is pretty much the first to offer real practical hope for handling and improving the never-ending mental somersaults that depression can draw you in to. More accurately, maybe, the book provides practical ways to shift your thought processes that can otherwise drag you down into a spiral of depression. All these years of thinking I was being intelligent and strong by trying to figure out and analyse my way out of some of the darkest times are shown (in The Mindful Way) to be the very approaches destined to drag me further and further down.

I am about two thirds of my way through reading the book and have not yet carried out the breathing, standing and body-scanning exercises that you are shown (both in writing and on the accompanying CD) but the whole tenor of the writing has lifted me to a level of hope. Having been once told by my GP (and I believe he meant in the kindest way) that there is no *cure* for what I have (what a cheery day that was!)I have been comforted by the new approach shown in The Mindful Way that, if not guaranteeing a cure, certainly shows that one can change the destructive patterns of thought that have become habit over many years.

Having known deep, dark, can't-function-and-if-I-could-wake-up-dead-that-would-be-just-fine depression and some of its slightly lighter levels as well, I would agree with the authors' recommendation that their exercises aren't carried out while one is in a deep depressive place. I know that I wouldn't have been able to concentrate sufficiently to make the practices "work" in those days.

I have found this to be a book where I could not only underline sentences with a 'tick' in the margin in agreement with what's been written, but there have been whole paragraphs and pages too. If it's possible to update one's review on Amazon I shall aim to come back in a few weeks' time and give an update once I have put in to practise the exercises.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2014 4:29 AM GMT

ASHTON DRAKE HUSH LITTLE BABY
ASHTON DRAKE HUSH LITTLE BABY

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 24 Jun. 2010
I've been looking at these 'babies' for several months and finally ordered Hush Little Baby just yesterday. Less than 24 hours after ordering her, she arrived - brilliant service and I'm really pleased with her. She's a lovely weight so you feel as though there is a baby in your arms and she fits newborn size clothes nicely - not too tight, not too loose. She has a baby powder smell and lies in that curled up way of a real baby. Makes you feel quite broody! I haven't tried the breathing mechanism yet but even if you don't use it she 'works' just as well. I don't regret buying her.

Qualcast Panther 30 Hand Powered Cylinder Lawnmower (30 cm Cutting Width) (Old Version) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Joy!, 19 Aug. 2009
I moved to my present home with garden in January and needed to buy a mower. I thought about buying this product back then but convinced myself (why oh why?) that it would be too strenuous to use and opted for a Qualcast electric rotary mower instead. Five months later and all the frustrations and struggles that everyone seems to find in dealing with electric leads, extensions leads, leads getting caught around the base of the stone bird bath, etc, etc. when using an electric mower and I decided to lash out and buy this wonderful, fabulous little machine. I made my decision based initially on all the positive reviews and they have lived up to their recommendations. I ordered it on Monday (17/8) and it arrived today (19/8). My grass was longer than I would have liked but it coped amazingly well. It was so easy and not heavy and I managed to cut both back and front lawns in half (no exaggeration) the time it would have taken me to mow just the back lawn with the electric mower. No trailing leads, no knocked over bird bath, no risk of electrocution. Bliss. I have now dismantled my electric one and will be placing a 'for sale' card in the local newsagents. I wouldn't go back to an electric model. On a practical note I too experienced the flimsiness of the grass catcher. Also the design of the mower seems to throw the cuttings forward over the top of the mower rather than back into the catcher. However, I followed the lead of the reviewer who simply mowed her lawn with the catcher removed. Much better results. The machine is so easy and readily useable that one could mow a couple of times a week with little effort and the catcher would therefore be unnecessary. The grass catcher is just the right size and shape as the containers you can buy to assist you in the potting shed to hold the compost. I shall use it for that purpose instead!

Page: 1 | 2