Profile for chigsy > Reviews

Content by chigsy

chigsy

Philips SHQ3200/10 ActionFit Washable Ultra Light Sports Headphones - Earhooks (New for 2013)
Offered by UK ENTERPRISE

1.0 out of 5 stars Low volume and low quality sound, 31 Dec. 2012
I've got through a few pairs of earphones and these are easily the worst, so bad in fact that I've decided to get rid of them. The poor, tinny quality of the sound jumped out as soon as I plugged them in - it's hard to believe just how little bass there is. Used the equaliser on my mp3 player to get something at least passable and then noticed how low the volume is on them. My mp3 is quite capable of delivering painfully high volume but with these earphones I needed it all the way up to get acceptable results. I found it so hard to believe how bad they were that I did a side-by-side test of them against a tired old pair of Sennheiser earphones (OMX50's, a bit more expensive but not much), both plugged into the same radio. The Phillips did indeed have much lower volume and compared to the Sennheisers their quality was just awful, making an FM music station sound more like an old wartime AM broadcast. Pushing the ear buds in as firmly as I dared improved the sound a little, but only took it from terrible to bad, and the little plastic cones designed to fit in your ears didn't grip well so the ear buds soon slipped loose.

Phillips try a lot of innovations, which is a good thing and some of them work really well, but this little device just flops on almost all fronts. I will say the bright orange cable was a good choice, because the material it's made from resists tangling, which is always a headache with earphones. At the moment I have a plan involving the orange cable, the Sennheisers, a pair of scissors and a soldering iron, and I don't thinks there's much to lose.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 4:51 PM BST