Profile for alexander > Reviews

What to Eat: Food that's good for your health, pocket and plate
What to Eat: Food that's good for your health, pocket and plate
by Joanna Blythman

5.0 out of 5 stars A REALLY COMPLETE book on food!!!, 6 Mar. 2012
I got a copy as soon as I could because I loved other books by this author, especially Shopped.
Ever since I dipped my nose into it, I haven't been able to put it down. If you only buy one food book ever, this is the one to go for.
This is the book I have been waiting for. It approaches the vexed subject of how to eat well- and thoughtfully- in a wonderfully common sense, yet highly authoritative way.
I particularly liked the introductory '20 principles of eating well'. This reminded me somewhat of Michael Pollan's Food Rules, but is of more practical use because it goes into more detail and is written for a UK audience.
Blythman writes with great knowledge, clarity, passion and not a little humour. She seems to understand very well all the questions that we ask of food these days, especially the problem of balancing our foodie and ethical aspirations with economic realities.
The book is all-embracing in that it looks at food from all angles. It contains an astonishing amount of different types of well-digested information about food- everything from health, animal welfare, to ethical concerns- but it is so accessible and readable, you want to read it, rather than thinking 'That's useful' and leaving it for another day.
A great read and a really important contribution to our food awareness.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2012 6:41 PM GMT