Profile for G Marwaha > Reviews

G Marwaha (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Bruder 02428 Backhoe Loader
Bruder 02428 Backhoe Loader

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - very robust and makes toddler happy, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Bruder 02428 Backhoe Loader (Toy)
Bought for a two year old lad who likes nothing more than using the loader as it was meant to be used (in the house and outside)- and who also loves battering it! It's very sturdy and robust, really easy to use, well-built, and survives being crashed into sofas/toy boxes/kitchen cupboards, as well as being thrown around.

Highly recommend.

Neo-G THIGH & HAMSTRING SUPPORT- Breathable Model
Neo-G THIGH & HAMSTRING SUPPORT- Breathable Model
Offered by Online Sports Support Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Offers good support but constantly slips down the leg, 18 Nov. 2013
Bought this following a couple of months of persistent hamstring problems playing football. It provided great support in the early phases of rehab (I had 4 weeks off sprinting/running), when I was using a strengthening programme provided by my physio. It played a role in rehab, but no any greater than other facets of my recovery. I still use it on occasion when my hammy feels sore.

The downside with this support as other reviewers have mentioned is the design - there are times when I'll be walking around the house and it slipped down, no matter how hard I wound the strapping around my thigh. I tried using it at the gym, but anything more than a walk sent it tumbling down to my ankle. For training and footy, I've stuck to using a tubigrip bandage, which stays in place.

Overall, a good support during rehab of hamstring injuries and when the hamstring feels sore. Not so good during training and playing.

Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game by far, 23 Sept. 2013
Absolutely brilliant game - incredibly enthralling and engaging. Other games seem very dated in comparison.

The graphics are stunning and there is a depth to GTA 5 that I've never seen on any other game. The map is huge and there's endless hours of fun to be had without even doing any of the missions. Initially, the map seemed overwhelming, particularly with the fog of war (ie you can't see parts of the map until you've visited the areas). It's also a lot harder to shake off the police than previous GTA versions - but it all adds to the fun.

The comedy is mostly dark, but is needed as you help to develop the relationship between the three dysfunctional protagonists. There are loads of side jobs and mini-missions to keep you occupied between the main missions. The number of characters you come across and work with is incredible - you can even build up a crew to help you on certain missions. It took me a little bit of time to get to grips with the new controls, but they're a great upgrade on previous GTA games.

By far, the best game that's ever been released on the Xbox.

Braun CCR3 Clean and Renew Electric Shaver Refill Cartridges - Pack of 3
Braun CCR3 Clean and Renew Electric Shaver Refill Cartridges - Pack of 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cleaning solution - one star off for the price, 23 Sept. 2013
A great solution that helps clean and maintain the shaver head of my Braun Series 7 790. I don't use it after every shave, preferring instead to rinse the shaver under the tap most days and then use the solution/cleaning system once a week. In this way, I've found one refill lasts just shy of a few months.

Sony DSCRX100M2 Advanced Digital Compact Premium Camera with Large 1-inch Sensor and Bright High Quality Lens (Wi-Fi, NFC, Tiltable LCD Screen, Hot shoe)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous camera, don't have to lug around a large SLR anymore (a non-technical review), 23 Sept. 2013
I bought this camera a few weeks' ago because I was finding it impractical to lug around an SLR - especially as we like to take a lot of family photos when we're out and about with the kids and a bulky SLR is just another thing to carry. Sometimes, you just want to take a compact that can fit into a pocket without compromising (too much) on quality and with which you can quickly take spontaneous shots.

My dad has the RX100 and the photos were great, so I took the plunge and bought the RX100M2, which is more than double what I paid for my last compact camera. But the reviews on Amazon and photo/camera specialist sites have been very positive and encouraging. And they're right. The RX100M2 takes stunning photos in all kinds of light (it's exceptional in low light) - the photos are comparable with my Nikon D5100 and there's enough menu options to keep a very amateur photographer like myself happy. The photos are super sharp and vibrant and that's all you could ask of a camera.

I'm not overly bothered about the lack of view finder - I'm not a serious photographer by any stretch of the imagination. For me the LCD screen is perfect. A nice touch (which I suspect is available on many other cameras now) is that when you switch to different modes, the camera displays a little bit of text telling you what type of photos can be taken in that mode and how to get your desired effect within that mode. Sony has also taken note of Apple's simplicity, with a very slimline manual - a good read through of the manual and getting used to the camera took around an hour. After that, you're all set. It's easy to navigate around the different settings and menu options on the camera, so operating it is very easy.

The only downside is that the wifi is a complete pain in the bottom to set up with a Mac. It took a little bit of time to do it, but now I can control my camera (limited control) with my iPhone and send photos from the camera to my Mac without the need to plug the camera in. I can also send photos from the camera to my iPhone via wifi too.

All in all, if you have an SLR and are after a great compact that can take comparable photos at the low-end SLR scale, this is the camera to get. Yes, it's pricey, but it's well worth it. I'm not entirely sure when I'll be using my D5100 now. One of the biggest positive factors for me is that the Sony camera fits into my pockets (coats, jackets, jeans etc), which means I'm always using it (it's the size of a chunky little mobile). And if you're thinking "well my phone fits in my pockets and takes photos", there's no comparison between the photo qualities. For photos, this camera is infinitely superior to a phone.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 3:20 PM GMT

Pioneers of Digital
Pioneers of Digital
by Mel Carson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for those working in digital marketing/communications, 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Pioneers of Digital (Paperback)
This is a very good book and would be of interest to anyone who works or is interested in digital marketing, advertising, social media and SEO (regardless of seniority or organization). In short, if you're involved in digital, then read this book.

It's split into 22 easy-to-read, short and highly digestible chapters that you can fly through at leisure. The first 20 chapters profile `digital' pioneers and over the course of 8 or so pages gives you an outline of their background and how they came to be pioneers. The final couple of chapters look at pioneering hubs and lessons learned. You're not going to find Biz Stone, Sergey Brin, Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs in here - instead, you'll get to read the stories of the unsung stars of digital. The ones who didn't take no for an answer, who tried lots of things (and failed a few times along the way) before they found success. Most of all (and other than Stephen Fry), they're people who don't attract the celebrity limelight such as Brin, Gates, Jobs etc. One name many will recognize is Martha Lane Fox (of lastminute.com fame). They're very clever people whose sole aim is to improve the world of digital. There are similar key themes running throughout all their stories: be positive, be focused, don't give up, and use failure as a platform for success etc etc, but each story is told in a different way - as a reader you're not coming away with a feeling of repetition.

The stories certainly don't say `do X, Y, or Z to become successful' - rather it's up to the reader to takeaway what he/she wants. This is not a `how to' guide, nor a self-help manual. The pioneers' stories are amazing and the nuggets of information you come away with are pure gold. I found that not all the stories were in areas of digital I was interested in, but that's to be expected. I was very fascinated to read about Thomas Gensemer, June Cohen, Danny Sullivan and Avinash Kaushik. Each story concludes with some key takeaway bullets and suggested further reading.

You don't even need to read the book cover to cover - you can just decide which bits to dip in and out of. At the end, there's a very handy jargon buster that comes in useful given the plethora of terms bandied about in digital.

I've taken off one star for the simple reason that at just shy of 18 quid, this is an expensive book. Especially when the Kindle version can be downloaded for less than a quid (at the time of the review). I won't refer to the book again because I've made plenty of notes for follow up. Rather, I've downloaded the Kindle version so I always have the book to hand.

The Art of Explanation: Making Your Ideas, Products, and Services Easier to Understand
by Lee LeFever

2.0 out of 5 stars Self promotional and verbose, 8 Aug. 2013
Contained within the covers is potentially a great book. Many people fail to clearly and concretely explain their ideas, concepts, pitches, products etc to others. This is always going to be the case.

So the potential for a book that aims to teach us how to clearly explain the point we're trying to make is enormous.

Sadly this book was a let down for a number of reasons:

1. On pretty much every page, the author either talks about himself, his wife or his company - and how great they are.
2. There are very few real-life case studies or examples - there are plenty of made up examples, but not much in the way of real-life scenarios.
3. The book is probably 3-4 times longer than it needs to be - most of it is superficial filler material. It would have been better to publish a short, sharp book with easily digestible nuggets of information and key takeaways.
4. So much repetition within chapters - the author makes a point, then makes it again and again and again.
5. In one chapter the author introduces the 'explanation scale' - thus going against what he said in the earlier chapter about clarity and simplicity. Typical fodder from someone trying to make things more complicated than they need to be.

The author uses the quote attributed to Albert Einstein - "If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself." Shame he didn't take notice of the quote himself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 8:47 AM GMT

Hurley One & Only 22'' Boardshort Board Shorts - Neon Orange
Hurley One & Only 22'' Boardshort Board Shorts - Neon Orange

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfy shorts, but orange is too neon, 5 Aug. 2013
Very comfy shorts which come with a nice pocket on the right leg side.

A few small negatives - lack of inner mesh lining (I find it adds to the comfort). The medium is still quite baggy for a 34" waist.
They're very orange - in the sense almost neon/luminous orange. This means they only go with a limited number of tops.

If I saw the shorts in a shop I wouldn't buy them because of the colour.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2013 10:04 PM BST

O'Neill Striper Men's Swim Shorts Red W34IN
O'Neill Striper Men's Swim Shorts Red W34IN

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice pair of shorts, 5 Aug. 2013
Bought these for my summer holiday - comfy to wear and they have a nice feel to them, a very soft and natural texture. Medium shorts came up to my knees and were a great fit for my 34" waist. Colours haven't faded after the first couple of washes, and the shorts go with a lot of different coloured tops. White, grey and orange Tees work great with them.

The shorts came with a beer bottle opener - they were attached to a hook in the back pocket.

Only negative is the velcro fly (not sure how long it will last) and the lack of inner mesh lining.

Other than that, highly recommended,

The Dirtiest Race in History: Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the 1988 Olympic 100m Final (Wisden Sports Writing): Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the Olympic 100m Final
by Richard Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest sports books ever written, 5 Aug. 2013
This is one of the finest sports book I have ever read - it's a stunning piece of journalism that would be of interest to anyone that likes track/field, and indeed for any sports fans. It's a truly exceptional read. There's barely any sports books that I keep after reading them - this, however, will retain pride of place on my bookshelf.

This is not your run-of-the-mill sports biographies, nor is it an author who has taken previously published work and rehashed it into his own style and then stuck a hardback cover on it. This is investigative journalism at its finest - not in the sense that Moore uncovered Johnson cheating at the 100m in Seoul. It's brilliant because up until now, no one has put all the pieces of the jigsaw together to provide a full and impartial account of, not just that race, but the extent of the drugs issues in track/field in that period. Having read the book, I truly believe that Moore has only pieced together a small part of what is a complex and multi-layered jigsaw.

I remember watching that race (I wasn't even a teenager and it was the first time I watched a 100m race on TV), and Ben Johnson suddenly became my hero. However, I was too young to understand the implications of what happened after the race; but even since then, I've had a soft spot for Johnson. To me, he was someone that played the same (dirty) game that others were doing at the time. Johnson just happened to be the star name who got caught and was then brutally exposed and made a scapegoat.

Moore's book has helped fill in many of the missing blanks, not just with his engaging writing, but with the number of people he interviewed for the book: the coaches, the other runners at the time (and in the actual race), the medical staff, the lab teams analysing the athlete's samples - the list is endless. But where this book excels is that it's written in an almost thriller-type format. You're itching to find out more, yet the book twists and turns so that just as you think you've worked out what was happening, you realise you're not even close.

The list of protagonists in the book is as long, colourful, complex and dodgy as the cocktail of drugs the athletes were injecting themselves with on almost daily basis - even as the IOC and other governing bodies were hiding their heads in the sand hoping the problem would just 'go away'. Moore does brilliantly to remain completely impartial - you can decide who to blame/feel sorry for - yet he's also managed to interview just about all the people who are still alive and who had something to do with the race. No stone is left unturned as another reviewer has correctly pointed out. Moore also manages to write in such a way that a reader feels like they are actually present at the various races and events alongside the athletes.

Strangely enough, I don't think mens 100m has had a personality since Ben Johnson until Usain Bolt came along. The men who have won it between Johnson and Bolt have just seemed, well, ordinary and I think "individual" sports need rivalry to help drive up the hysteria and interest (Ali/Frazier, Senna/Prost, Johnson/Lewis, Nicklaus/Palmer etc), but they also need to get impartial coverage to allow the average Joe to make his/her own judgement. Moore's book has personality, objectiveness, impartiality, punch and emotion and is a highly recommended read. Other sports book publishers should use Dirtiest Race as the benchmark.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14