Profile for solid_tech > Reviews

Tao of Power
Tao of Power
by R L Wing

5.0 out of 5 stars Blueprint for all aspects of life, 29 Jan 2006
This review is from: Tao of Power (Paperback)
R L Wings translation of this Chinese classic is nothing short of inspired, he has managed to strike an almost balance between the original meaning and accessibility to a modern audience. The Tao Te Chings sheer insight into worldly affairs continues to astound me every time I refer to it - but more so that there is knowledge such as this available but used it seems by so few. The Tao Te Ching requires challenges the reader to see the world as it truely is through contemplation and consideration and take course of action that will subtley achieve ones ends without causing a counter reactions that lead to further adversity and confrontation. This thought alone has caused me many times since I started study to refrain from course of action that would have caused further adversity. Highly reccomended.

Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found
Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found
by Suketu Mehta

5.0 out of 5 stars Mumbai will never be the same again..., 9 May 2005
Sukhetu Mehta's book Maximum City has continued to surprise me with its frank and startling probes into the dark heart of Mumbai. Politicans, gangsters, police, assassins, bar-line girls, prostitutes, the Filmi crowd and business men all have their stories told in Metha's un-self-conscious style. I have been a frequent vistor over the past few years but now Mumbai will never be the same to me or anyone who reads this book.

Shibumi
Shibumi
by Trevanian
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars The concept of Shibumi is simply profound, 24 Aug 2001
This review is from: Shibumi (Mass Market Paperback)
I can safely say no book since reading R.L. Wing's translation of Tao Te Ching has had a more profound impact on my life. But a thriller you say - this man must be shallow as a puddle to have this affect him so. Its not the story (which in my opinion is average) its the concept of Shibumi itself - it is simply profound. I say to many people I could have searched the planet for a concept such as this and never found it, but found it in second hand book store.
The more I think about it the more I believe that the authour used the story simply as a vehicle to present the concept of Shibumi to the world. I haven't quite worked out where the concept is originally taken from, ie a religion or culture, or whether it is an underlying concept within a culture or a documented one.
If anyone does know then please let me know.