Profile for Andrew > Reviews

Content by Andrew

Andrew "docdaneeka" (Zürich, Switzerland)

The Glorious Dead
The Glorious Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Another step up, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Glorious Dead (Audio CD)
What can I say about The Glorious Dead? It's bloody brilliant, even better that The House That Dirt Built. The first song burst out the starting block to announce this album has arrived. Take if from me; for the first play of Can't Play Dead you want to turn your amp up to 11 and move all the furniture out the road to give you ample space to jump around.

Following up the gentle Curse Me Good is a good-old sing along song that you know will be one of The Heavy's go-to live songs as you can't help yourself from singing along to the chorus.

Every song on this album will basically make you want to move, nod your head, sing and generally embarrass yourself when you realise that you are practically dancing along the street listening to this album on your mp3 player, especially The Big Bad Wolf (track 4).

This sound is 100% The Heavy, only more. Best album of this year for me.

The Losers [DVD]
The Losers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Tries hard but just fails, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Losers [DVD] (DVD)
I was really looking forward to this film. I have read all the graphics and was expecting a nice "cool, well shot, no thinking" action film. I was sadly disappointed, as with many films the best parts are in the trailer. The film is ok, and tries hard, but the script just falls short, it's almost like all the gags are mistimed and leaves you feeling a little robbed of what should have been a good and enjoyable film. What is worse is they have left it open to a sequel and I sadly think Warner Bros. have a mission statement that reads "ruin all vertigo comic to film projects."

American Gods
American Gods
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars The most fun that you can have by yourself., 22 Nov 2005
This review is from: American Gods (Paperback)
American Gods is possibly one of the greatest books ever written. Not because of its prose, not because it is an evolutionary book of its time, but because it is the most bizarrely conceived idea that is presented in an almost plausible manner with that magical ingredient: the story weaving ability of Neil Gaiman. I loved this book, truly.
The story centres on the character of Shadow who is about to be released from prison and is eager to get back to a life and, above all, back to his wife. Two days before he is due to be released Shadows wife dies tragically in a car accident. On the journey home from prison to attend his wife’s funeral Shadow meets the enigmatic Mr Wednesday who offers him a job. Having nothing of his old life remaining to go back to Shadow reluctantly agrees to the offer on, what he believes are, his terms.
Mr Wednesday takes Shadow to a bar where he drinks three glasses of mead to “seal the agreement” and the pair meet Mad Sweeney; a leprechaun and an alcoholic. From then on nothing in Shadows life is conventional as we follow him on the path of Mr Wednesday’s agenda to a surprising and satisfying conclusion.
I could rave on about this book but I would not want to spoil the plot for you. Needless to say it has won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Bram Stoker Award and the Locus Award. This book is pure Gaiman; its book heroin. I was reading it on the toilet, on the tube, during my tea breaks, during commercial breaks, in fact any spare minute that I had was spent reading this book I enjoyed it that much, and now my girlfriend is suffering the same fate. I would recommend this read in a heartbeat.

Neverwhere
Neverwhere
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Never put it down!, 19 Oct 2005
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
Ever had a book that you just cannot put down? That something just "felt right" when you were reading it? This is what I found when I started reading Neverwhere. I could probably use lots of colourful language to describe how much I enjoyed this book, but I think I'll settle for the following.
Reading Neverwhere took me back to felling like a kid when he (or she) first encounters Narnia, for London Under is much like a Narnia set in modern times. I consumed this book like a hungry kid with access to the sweetie jar and just cannot stop.
I may be slightly bias as I currently live in London, but I strongly believe this is a book that would appeal to most people who picked it up. If you are a fan of English Gothic, Monty Python and are imaginative then you'll truly love this book.

Ring
Ring
by Kōji Suzuki

2.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating disappointment, 11 May 2005
This review is from: Ring (Paperback)
Having seen neither the original film nor the Hollywood re-make I was looking forward to reading this book without the bias associated with previously seeing the celluloid dramatisations. I must admit I was looking forward to a gripping supernatural thriller such as that of a John Connolly book, but I did not quite get what I expected.
It may be that some of the dialogue and pace was lost in its translation, or that my personal expectations were too great, but this book did not grab me the way that I expected. To be honest I found the first half of the book to be a bit slow, and parts of the investigation into the video tape to be stretching the imagination at best (I'm talking about before things go a bit haywire).
The book did get a lot better towards the end and finished fairly satisfactorily leading nicely into the second part, and if it was not for the fact that this was the first part of a trilogy I would have been extremely disappointed in this book.
Don't get me wrong, I think that the overall idea behind the novel is fantastic and if was executed better make an extremely stimulating (and quite frightening) novel, and it is because of this that you can understand why the original film was such a success.
Sadly though, for me, I think this book is more "The Phantom Menace" than "Star Wars."

Post Office: A Novel
Post Office: A Novel
by Charles Bukowski

3.0 out of 5 stars A bizarre experience, 1 April 2005
This review is from: Post Office: A Novel (Paperback)
Post Office is a unique novel in the fact that it is neither really good, nor really bad, yet you cannot put it down. What I mean by that is there is no real sense of enjoyment gained from reading the book whose subject and protagonist is both drab and uninteresting. The plot itself is not particularly interesting as it follows the mundane existence of the main character through a life of monotonous "factory existence" and excessive drinking.
So far this book sounds like one to avoid, however in a bizarre way the book is oddly enjoyable. It could be perhaps attributed to the ease with which it is read. Perhaps it's the fact that a lot of people can relate to being stuck in a monotonous, repetitive job at some time in their lives, and the hopelessness that can arise out of this situation. For whichever reason, I finished reading the book quickly and found the experience, for want of a better word, different.
While I wouldn't encourage you to rush out and by a copy of this book, if you somehow find it in your possession it may be worth the time reading it.

The Penguin Guide to Punctuation (Penguin Reference Books)
The Penguin Guide to Punctuation (Penguin Reference Books)
by R. L. Trask

5.0 out of 5 stars No more "comma phobia.", 15 Feb 2005
If, like me, you were once unsure of when to use a comma; where to place a semi-colon, this book will help you enormously.
Structured simply and written in plain English this book will banish any puzzlement over punctuation.
I really wish someone had shown me this book when I was at school.

The Dice Man
The Dice Man
by Luke Rhinehart

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanbloodytastic, 21 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Dice Man (Paperback)
It has been a while now since I have read a book that has had such a profound affect on me. The Dice Man literally is a book of change.
It is written as an autobiographical account of Luke Rhineharts live and the inception and development of dice therapy, an exercise in healing ones self by playing any and every role/character that you desire, all randomly dictated by the roll of a dice.
This may not sound to interesting but I can assure you that it is. Mr Rhineharts ability to carve out the story almost like a play with each new page turning up another interesting facet of the many characters portrayed is gripping reading.
Disturbing at times, tempting at others the book really is a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows. It has started an underground movement of dice enthusiasts that will probably immoratalise the novel in the years to come.
I cannot praise this book enough, buy it and read it, you really will not be sorry.

American Psycho (Film Tie-In)
American Psycho (Film Tie-In)
by Bret Easton Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 21 Feb 2002
In AP Ellis travels through the mind of a man craving a place in society. Bateman has got everything materialistic in his life, it's his sole purpose of living. There are several themes running throughout the book, mainly dealing with his (Batemans) inability to integrate himself in society. Because of this Bateman creates his own fantasy world fuelled by his fascination of Serial Killers, in which he murders and tortures people at random...As the book progresses Batemans fetishes become more and more psychotic until you (and he) have no real idea what is real and what is fantasy. This book will be picked apart in schools for generations to come. Sometimes funny, sometimes touching, sometimes horrible. Ellis has no fear of travelling to and exploring the dark places in the human psyche.
A triumph of modern literature.