Profile for Ruth Walters-Crisp > Reviews

Content by Ruth Walters-Crisp

Ruth Walters-Crisp

The Paleo Primer: A Jump-Start Guide to Losing Body Fat and Living Primally!
The Paleo Primer: A Jump-Start Guide to Losing Body Fat and Living Primally!
by Keris Marsden

4.0 out of 5 stars Let Her Eat Clean on Fitter Food, 4 Sep 2013
This review is taken from my original blog post: [...]

I have so much time for Matt and Keris of Fitter London. Their excellent health and fitness knowledge aside, I totally admire their entrepreneurial spirit and these guys are serious grafters. In support of their hard work, I bought a copy of their first book (can you tell I'm hoping there will be more?) "Fitter Food: A lifelong recipe for health and fat loss".

Having been a whole foods and Paleo convert since 2011 I was pretty sure this guide to getting started on the journey wouldn't really teach me much.

Wrong.

The book called out some incredible online resources, that I've since gone away to research further, and presented information in such a clear and digestible fashion that I hope I'll use when answering that dreaded "so why isn't a peanut a nut then?". Hats off to the illustrator, snaps to the designer, it's such a rewarding read.

The book comes at £18.99 (+ delivery) which I thought was a bit hefty and I'm never really a fan of spiral binding, but that doesn't detract from the excellent selection of recipes offered. None of the dishes try to be fancy but each of them has a quirky ingredient addition that set them apart from the rest.

I'm desperate to start cooking up some Fitter Food but my husband won't let me... He's working away at the moment and wants to be able to share the spoils. Something tells me scrambled eggs with sun dried tomatoes and chorizo will be an ideal way to welcome him home!

The Health Delusion: How to Achieve Exceptional Health in the 21st Century
The Health Delusion: How to Achieve Exceptional Health in the 21st Century
by Glen Matten

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb stuff many of us have not necessarily read before, 27 Oct 2012
The Health Delusion warrants multiple reads for those on the way to achieving optimum health through the power of food. Pick it up, dip into it, select a section most relevant to you, enjoy it, learn something (alot), put it back down again. Within no time at all you'll realise how much it's peaked your interest and you'll want to go back to it - going from cover to cover. Aidan and Glen have a superb style. They have the ability to deliver some pretty complex stuff that simply sounds like they're chatting to you over a cup of green tea! Specific sections are deliberately called out for the more scientific reader but every man or woman on the street could better themselves by reading this book. Not a single sentence of scare-mongering, The Health Delusion is honest, helpful and downright informative. My favourite chapters? "Fad diets: A Pact with the devil"; "Nourishing the next generation" and "A big fat mistake".

Running with the Kenyans: Discovering the secrets of the fastest people on earth
by Adharanand Finn

5.0 out of 5 stars Running with the Kenyans, 28 May 2012
As a CrossFit Endurance training, high protein and low carb diet eating, marathon runner I probably should have put Adharanand Finn's "Running with the Kenyans" down before I ended the first chapter. Just pages in, this book went dead against everything my training regime stands for.

But it was enchanting. Page after page my attention was held. I've recommended this book to both runners and non runners since reading it. It's a chronicle of an amazing journey and teaches so much about commitment to a cause, mental struggles, physical hardships and believing you've got what it takes to do something.

When Finn leaves the UK for Kenya in search of just what makes the country's runners so good and an opportunity to better his own running techniques, we meet the most incredible cast of colourful characters. As the fist part of the book flits around his pre-departure time in the UK, we're soon living there with him in Iten, also trying to fathom out just what this Kenyan secret is.

Finn's new life builds with every chapter, as do the remarkable friendships he grows.

I could share so many spoilers but I refuse to. This really is a must read for yourself. It left me with so, so much to think about, drawing several parallels with Matthew Syed's "Bounce" that I read earlier this year.

I ran the London Marathon on April 22nd 2012 in 4:39:31. I read Finn's book before the Edinburgh Marathon on May 27th 2012 which I completed in 4:08:17. I say no more aside from you will never, ever look at the front of the pack in the same way again.