Profile for TerryB > Reviews

Content by TerryB

TerryB

Acer Aspire 5750G 15.6 inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz, RAM 6GB, HDD 500GB, DVD-Super Multi DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

3.0 out of 5 stars Aspire for better, 31 July 2012
Just bought this machine for my wife. Probably a bit over specified for her face booking needs but I thought I might be able to make use of it too.

First I would like to make the point that all laptop manufactures seem to be making it as hard as possible to get full tech spec for their machines. With Acer the problem for me was trying to establish that this machine had a USB3 interface. So I am happy to be able to tell you that it does.

Secondly Cr4pware; Why do these companies put this rubbish on their machines? Okay so they make a few bob out of it, but at the expense of their own reputations. Due to the fact that they don't supply a Windows 7 CD with the machine it took me four hours to set the machine up, make a backup system and remove the rubbish.

Overall the machine runs sweetly, nice and cool and quiet and the screen is good (if you angle it right). The only problem I have had with it is something seems a little slow to start at boot time causing the occasional blue screen (and buzzing noise) at login. Will just have to see how that goes - Might end up buying a clean copy of Windows 7 and see if that solves the problem.

Overall I would say not too bad, but could do better.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2012 12:03 AM BST

Dear Mr Fantasy: A Tribute To Jim Capaldi & Traffic [DVD] [2007]
Dear Mr Fantasy: A Tribute To Jim Capaldi & Traffic [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Various Artists
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Tribute, 22 Feb 2012
If you were there this DVD is a must. Even if you weren't it is a beautiful tribute from the friends and colleagues of Jim Capaldi. It's worth the price of the DVD just to see Steve Winwood's passionate rendition of Dear Mr Fantasy.

SENNHEISER SPARES PADS HD497 83379
SENNHEISER SPARES PADS HD497 83379
Offered by Hifiheadphones
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They Go On and On and On and...., 22 Feb 2012
I really love my HD497's and am on my 3rd set of pads now. They seem to go into self-destruct after a period of time but the phones themselves just go on giving me the pleasure I got from them since new.

Neewer Battery Grip For Canon Eos 5D Mark Ii 2 Slr Digital Camera Bg-E6 Bge6
Neewer Battery Grip For Canon Eos 5D Mark Ii 2 Slr Digital Camera Bg-E6 Bge6

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a Grip, 22 Feb 2012
Great build quality. Received in two working days post free and just about 150 cheaper than the Canon article. Defiantly worth a punt even if you do later decide that you have more money than sense and feel happy to pay 180 quid for the Canon badge on the front.

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows: A Flavia de Luce Mystery
I Am Half-Sick of Shadows: A Flavia de Luce Mystery
by Alan Bradley
Price: 10.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Youthful idealism, 15 Nov 2011
If you have already read Alan Bradley's first three books in this series you will love this one too - I know I did. I just find Flavia and her whole dysfunctional family so endearing. If you have never read any of these books get a copy of `The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie'. If you enjoy it you are in for a treat with another three books to keep you entertained.

I was amazed to discover that Alan Bradley (a Canadian) had never set foot in the UK until he came over in 2007 to collect an award. He manages to create a very authentic idealised feel of rural England in the 1950's in these books.

He is quoted as saying of the theme of the books: `Youthful idealism and how far it can take someone if it's not stamped out, as it so often is.' This for me sums it up rather wonderfully.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping an eye on things, 13 Jun 2011
I have wanted a camera that does what the Foscam does for years. I have never been able to understand why there are not more devices like this on the market but full marks to the company that makes these for filling a very obvious hole in the market.

The camera works really well. The set-up is relatively easy and the web interface is great, although it works best with IE. It even works with an app on my Android phone.

Just a couple of wishes for any future developments of this camera are:

Higher resolution than the 640x480
A zoom lens
Ability to save moving images via ftp.

I bought the white version of the camera because at the time it was [] cheaper on amazon than the black one. It does reflect rather badly if set up to look through a window but I reckon it would be easy enough to paint it black if it was a real problem.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2011 10:31 AM BST

Let Them Talk
Let Them Talk
Price: 7.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Can blue men sing the whites?, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Let Them Talk (Audio CD)
Hugh Laurie has really gone up in my estimation after hearing this album. Previously I just saw him as another brit who had deserted our shores for the lure of the American dollar.

It takes a lot of guts for a white middle-class English actor to record the blues but Hugh makes a good job of it. There was obviously a lot of thought (and money) put into this recording. The sound that they created in the studio is really fantastic and the musicians who accompanied him have to be the best exponents of this style of music going today. Maybe Hugh's voice isn't quite there but he more than makes up for it with his sheer enthusiasm and obvious love of the music.

Good on you Hugh, and lets have some more soon!

Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition
Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition
Price: 91.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the antithesis of abominable, 13 May 2011
I just had to have the Yeti from the moment I first saw it.

It shows a level of design thinking that is sadly lacking in so many other high tech devices these days, and the visual design work goes right down into the guts of the thing also. The three capacitor microphone arrangement produces one of the most flexible microphones on the market today.

I have used it mostly so far in cardioid mode to record my voice and a bit of acoustic guitar, it produces a truly studio quality sound that the BBC would be proud of. One rather perceptive reviewer on You Tube pointed out that when you press the mute button there is no click or pop, as they put a capacitor across the switch to prevent it happening, which to me is just another indication that a lot of work was put into both the visual and technical design of this device.

The price on Amazon does tend to bounce around a bit from day to day, so it might be worth checking back to the site a few times before finally placing an order.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2013 4:58 PM BST

Roberts STREAM63i CD/DAB/FM Internet Sound System with iPod Dock and Record Facility
Price: 295.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Sound System, but...., 29 Dec 2010
I just wanted to update my original review of this device.

After a couple of months of use I am still pretty happy with the Stream63I but, I was curious to know if it supports DAB+ and I couldn't find the answer anywhere so I emailed Roberts. I was informed quite categorically that it does not support DAB+. After a little pushing they told me:

"Products which will work across Europe and Australasia are being developed. These sets will incorporate new 'Profile 1' technology which will enable multi-standard compatibility (DAB/DAB+/DMB/FM). It is unlikely however that these will be fully enabled from launch. There are royalty payment obligations associated with each of these formats which will need to be built in to the cost of the product, these costs may prove disproportionately expensive if the device is to be used in one region only."

Quite honestly I would expect a top of the range item like the 63I with it's top of the range price tag to be both compatible with Europe and Australia and to have been made future proof - It seems rather likely that DAB+ will be coming to the UK at some point in the future and I would expect my investment in this device to reflect that.

So sorry Roberts I have just downgraded you to 3 stars.

I originally bought a Roberts Colourstream but had to return it as something hadn't been fitted quite right and there was a horrid buzz coming from it at certain frequency combinations. I was in two minds about replacing it with the Stream 63i due to the big price difference and the fact that it is so new that I couldn't find a single review of the device.

Anyway I took the plunge and went for the Stream 63i. I have now had it for only a few hours but am absolutely delighted with it. Like the Colourstream it was a total breeze to set up and I had it all configured in minutes.

My top priority was the sound quality of the device and this radio has really pleased me in that respect. It has a much cleaner sound than the Coulorstream had and for its size produces a fantastic sound - Not exactly audiophile quality but then neither is DAB.

We live in a fairly small house and the 63i has more than enough sound to fill and average sized living room without taking the volume above 50%.

The display isn't as pretty as that on the Colourstream and lacks the touch screen but has a much nicer remote control and the device is really easy to control using the remote and a lot less fiddly than the Colourstream.

The addition of the CD player is a real plus and I haven't tried it yet but it also has the ability to record direct from Radio or CD to SD card or USB memory stick. It also has an optical output that I can use into my Logitech sub-woofer system if I decide I need a bit more wellie.

Overall I think this radio is first rate and it is so nice to be able to buy a piece of technology that is manufactured in the UK.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2011 11:35 AM BST