Profile for vegan cowgirl > Reviews

Superheroes!: Capes and Crusaders in Comics and Films
by Roz Kaveney
Price: 10.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable tool for the superhero fan/scholar, 19 Jun 2013
...light, but well-researched, whith parts that are both brilliant and highly original. I bought it for research for my thesis, and ended up rewiring parts of my own brain in the process (always a possible outcome of reading anything by Kaveney, I must admit) - it's not an overly serious book, but it is, however, solid and intelligent.

Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences
Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences
by Cordelia Fine
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this., 19 Jun 2013
Hands down one of the best books on gender issues and popular assumptions about gender I have ever read. And for all that it tackles some pretty heavy theory and science, it's a remarkably light read, that will even have you laughing out loud at times, without ever becoming less than serious and passionate.

Was Superman a Spy?: And Other Comic Book Legends Revealed
Was Superman a Spy?: And Other Comic Book Legends Revealed
by Brian Cronin
Price: 8.37

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fun and educational., 19 Jun 2013
Though I advice anyone to do their own research before accepting the individual stories in here, if using this book for academic purposes, I haven't found any of them to be untrue so far. Fun facts, good and entertaining tidbits of myths and urban legends from the ComiCon circuit, and a serious approach to the topic at hand.

Black Books - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Black Books - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dylan Moran
Offered by NO_LIMITS
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the only shows I can watch over and over again., 19 Jun 2013
It's brilliant, funny, timeless, and it has some of their generations most funny comedians in the cast. Not for those who like their humour easy or child friendly, but perfect for that cranky elitist Black inside all of us.

Asperger's on the Job: Must-have Advice for People with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism and Their Coworkers, Educators, and Advocates
by Temple Grandin
Price: 8.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Honestly thought I would hate it., 19 Jun 2013
I'm pretty much allergic to self-help books, so this was bought more out of a sense of determination, than anticipation; I felt like I couldn't ignore what this book may have to offer, and that it wouldn't represent a great loss of money or time if I hated it. But once I got started, I went through the whole book in less than a day, and was pleasantly surprised.
Be prepared: it's not intellectually stimulating - in fact, at times it's overly simplistic. The happy illustrations will drive you bonkers. And (for me), the final get-your-carreer-on-the-right-track tables were pretty much useless. But after reading the book, I still feel as if I gained a lot: more confidence, perhaps, in actually being worth something in a workplace. Seeing my differences, and what Ioften think of as limitations, framed as valuable tools, in a believable way, was well worth the money and time I spent on and with this book.

Disability Studies: An Interdisciplinary Introduction
Disability Studies: An Interdisciplinary Introduction
by Dan Goodley
Price: 21.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, well-written, 19 Jun 2013
...and with a great sense of responsibility - this is rock-solid theory written and edited by people who are highly aware of the real-life impact their work may have, on people on the fringes of the fragile cultural structures of power and identity-formation. As someone who is both a scholar and disabled, this book gets my stamp of approval.

Crip Theory: Cultural Signs of Queerness and Disability (Cultural Front)
Crip Theory: Cultural Signs of Queerness and Disability (Cultural Front)
by Robert McRuer
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative,, 19 Jun 2013
Intelligent, and well-written. Whether you're considering this book because of the crip or the queer, you should buy it. It lends a much-needed angle of inclusion to the field of queer theory, and highlights some interesting - and oft-overlooked - aspects of disability studies. A natural heir to "the trouble with normal" by Michael Warner, which, in fact... Buy this, then go buy that, if you don't already own it.

John Dies at the End
John Dies at the End
by David Wong
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the third time I've bought this book, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Paperback)
...and considering the fact that I still have it on my computer from when I first read the thing online way back when, that should speak of a deep-felt love and devotion. Or depravity. One of those d-words. It's one of those books I'll never stop buying, because there will always be someone I'm willing to borrow it to, knowing full well I'll never get it back, just so they won't miss out on the crooked charm and insanity of the story. It's funny, intelligent, creepy, and strangely enough, the protagonists are some of the most loveable characters in my library, despite being anything but shining knights of sunshine, puppies and rainbows.

This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously Dude Dont Touch It
This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously Dude Dont Touch It
by David Wong
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A good follow-up., 19 Jun 2013
I first read the first book, John Dies at the End, way back when the thing was still online, and while the premise of this book doesn't have quite the same ability to surpise as the first one (if you've read JDatE, you'll come to expect the unexpected), it's a solid sequel with some nice plot twists.

Boys Interchangable Strap Watch
Boys Interchangable Strap Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Neither a child nor male..., 19 Jun 2013
But I still love my watch. Easily big enough for an adult, and keeps time perfectly. Cheap, pretty, and fun.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2013 1:37 PM BST