Profile for Gillian Smith > Reviews

Content by Gillian Smith

Gillian Smith (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Place to Call Home - Season 2 - DVD (Region 2, 4 Pal)
A Place to Call Home - Season 2 - DVD (Region 2, 4 Pal)
Dvd ~ Noni Hazlehurst, Marta Dusseldorp, Deborah Kennedy Arianwen Parkes-Lockwood

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! Seasons and Series, 5 April 2015
Warning - there is a lot of confusion between "series" and "seasons". I bought this as I'd seen what I thought was Series 1 and Series 2 on the tv and thought this was something brand new. But it isn't. The first "season" is made up of Series 1 and Series 2. This "Season 2" was also shown on tv. So, very disappointed when I sat down to watch it to discover I'd already seen it. A bit more clarity would be good - especially since the dvds are so expensive. Having said all of that, it is an excellent series/season! Hopefully Season 3 will appear soon...

ARCHIVE-LIVE IN ATHENS
ARCHIVE-LIVE IN ATHENS

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful concert by a band that has yet to gain ..., 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: ARCHIVE-LIVE IN ATHENS (DVD)
This is a wonderful concert by a band that has yet to gain the recognition it deserves in the UK. Different band members take the lead vocals at different times (as they do on their albums) thus making them one of the most egalitarian bands I've ever seen, without that sounding cheesy. The music and lyrics are just outstanding. The interviews with a few of the band members are interesting and gives one a bit more depth and background about what the band are about. I find them addictive to listen to. Recommend highly.

Lights
Lights

5.0 out of 5 stars Like many people in the UK it seems, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)
Like many people in the UK it seems, I came across this band by accident - and what an amazing discovery to make. This album and in fact all of their albums are as intelligent as they are musically accomplished. I recommend their dvd "Live in Athens" too as that gives a good introduction to the members of the band in 2010, as well as being an outstanding concert. The concert opens with a wonderful rendition of the track "Lights" which I see other reviewers have also highlighted as one of the stand out tracks of this album. Go watch and listen, you won't regret it.

Boxing Day [DVD]
Boxing Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny Huston

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent viewing, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Boxing Day [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fantastic film - and the best in the Trilogy of versions of Tolstoy short stories. It was also my introduction to the Director Bernard Rose, whom I've since fallen for and managed to watch just about everything he's ever done. Different, intelligent and for those of you who are sick of/don't like watching the usual Hollywood rubbish.

Nostalgia
Nostalgia
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't cover songs unless you've something new to bring, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Nostalgia (Audio CD)
Well, I've been a long time lover and admirer of Annie Lennox, including her Eurythmic days and then her first four solo albums, but I'm afraid this album is a huge disappointment. She brings nothing to these classic songs. Gone is her heart-wrenching emotion and her ability to convey depth. These are all sung quite superficially in a "nice" way. Take "Summertime" for example - what a dreadful cover version. Didn't someone once say you shouldn't cover a song unless you've got something new to bring to it? Exactly. And there's nothing new on this cd.

Keep Calm and Drink Tea - Carrier Bag Holder - Natural cotton plastic bag storage
Offered by The Cotton Bag Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Red warning!, 13 Nov. 2014
Just to alert customers to the fact that this is a red logo - and not pink, which I thought it was when purchasing. No colour is actually stated in the product details that I can see.

Write It On Your Skin
Write It On Your Skin

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Mess, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Write It On Your Skin (Audio CD)
I don't understand the other reviews here. I loved and still love Faulkner's first two albums, but this one is a complete mess. You can hear him straining to be "happy"; the lyrics are dreadful and clichéd; and it's not got the style of the first two albums. To me it feels as if he wrote it quickly to try and capitalise on the success of the first two albums, and the result is inferior writing and inferior music. I'd say beware to all new buyers, but if you're a fan I guess you'll have to listen for yourselves and make your own minds up, I appear to be in the minority after all. Very disappointing indeed.

August: Osage County [DVD]
August: Osage County [DVD]
Dvd ~ Abigail Breslin
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: August: Osage County [DVD] (DVD)
This is simply one of the best films I've seen in a long time. For those reviewers here who say it wasn't funny - that's because the humour it totally black (which I think we are forewarned about). It is one family just saying it as it is. "Truth telling" Streep's character calls it. It is explicit where our usual lives are not - people saying things most of us would dearly have liked to say to others at some point or other in our lives, if we were being truthful and not pretending. I agree with the other reviewer who says it's a bit like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" in that sort of way. And one of the best things is that the film doesn't do a cop out Hollywood ending - but stays gritty and real right to the end. If you like Rom Coms this is definitely not for you. If you like to watch the work of a writer looking this disturbing life of ours straight in the eye, then it is for you.

The Alternative Comedy Experience [DVD]
The Alternative Comedy Experience [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stewart Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanity (mostly), 1 Jun. 2014
I just wanted to add my 5 stars to everyone's else's. A great compilation that leaves you feeling human again, unlike the glossy packaged stuff of most tv comedy these days (as some other reviewers have pointed out). Indeed you maybe don't realise just how packaged that stuff is until you watch this. There will be some you love and some you're not so keen on - but that makes it even more real. My favourites are David Kay and the brilliant Alun Cochrane, who I could watch all day long.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Colour difference, 12 Feb. 2014
The colour shown in the picture shows a soft red - but the reality is a bold pillar box red and very different. The tablecloth itself is great, just not the soft-blush red I was wanting. Oh and there's no rose of course ha ha!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4