Profile for Mimo > Reviews

Content by Mimo

Mimo

Will You Still Love Me If I Wet The Bed?
Will You Still Love Me If I Wet The Bed?
by Liz Prince

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 27 Oct 2011
After just recently getting into autobio comics I saw Liz Prince as a recommended artist and decided to give one of her books a try. Her art is full of character and meshes so well with the utterly weird subject matter of her life. There were a lot of things I felt I could relate to and it was just generally a really good read. I hope to buy more from her.

Stone Monkey: 1
Stone Monkey: 1
by Jim Round

3.0 out of 5 stars Different to what I was expecting, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Stone Monkey: 1 (Paperback)
I initially bought this after seeing a preview in a magazine and I thought the artwork was really sweet and definitely the sort of thing I'd enjoy. The book didn't let me down in that respect and each page is full colour with some really, really lovely character designs with the same cute, slightly juvenile style.
However what did let me down was the writing side - there were quite a few spelling and grammar issues and at some points the story didn't seem to flow as nicely.
In all it was a gorgeous looking book and I'm glad I bought it, but the writing seems to need a little work.

Blue Pills: A Positive Love Story
Blue Pills: A Positive Love Story
by Frederik Peeters

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 7 May 2011
I picked up a copy of this because we were asked to produce a presentation about it at university. I wasn't too sure what to make of it at first because it certainly isn't what I'd normally go for in the comic and graphic novel genre. Peeters' style is easy enough to get to and his honest depiction of some really sensitive subjects leave you really thinking after you've put the book down. Definitely something different in an industry that seems to be dominated by the usual fantasy genre graphic novels, something a little more true to life such as Blue Pills is refreshing.

AEIOU: Any Easy Intimacy
AEIOU: Any Easy Intimacy
by Jeffrey Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Something a bit different, 7 May 2011
I first found this book in a chain bookstore tucked right at the back of the shelf, and of course I picked it up because it stood out from the others. I left it but then wondered if I could find it on amazon, and I didn't hesitate to order it.

As far as comics and graphic novels go, this isn't what I'd normally go for at all but I absolutely adore it and hope to buy more books by Jeffrey Brown. It's composed almost entirely of small panels, snapshots of memories hand-drawn in Brown's own somewhat juvenile style. The depiction is honest and really charming to read. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, whether they are into comics or not.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (Nintendo DS)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Game Dealz

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% badass, 16 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As a Kingdom Hearts fan before this game was released I suppose I'm a little biased, but I will try to keep the review short, concise and fair.

This game can be picked up whether you're a fan of the games or not, but I guess the back-story will make a lot more sense if you're familiar with the general background of the other games. It has some of the most impressive graphics I've seen on the DS so far and the quality of some of the cut-scenes and soundtracks are absolutely immense for such a tiny console. I find the story gripping enough to keep my attention and it's challenging enough for me to want to play more (currently on standard mode). I'm only half-way through and have already clocked about 17hrs so it's a long game (or maybe I'm just slow) but not so much so that you'll get bored.

The way that the game is set out so that it's not entirely linear is really good. Having to embark on different missions in different worlds with different aims keeps the game feeling fresh and as you find yourself finishing exploring one world, another will be unlocked.

The panels system was a little difficult to get used to but it really allows you to customise your keyblade to your own needs and preferences, and there is just so MUCH customisation. It's an art skill though I reckon haha, I'm still getting used to finding the right balance but stick at it because it's a half-decent system once you get your head around it.

The graphics, soundtrack and characters/backstory was what pulled me to get this at first and with those in mind, it's not disappointed, but it's generally an addictive game with decent enough gameplay to hook you. Definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problems at first, 27 Jun 2010
Sandisk 8GB Sansa Clip MP3 Player with Radio - Black

After replacing my Creative Zen V+ with a cheap supermarket branded mp3 player on a temp basis, I was looking for something a bit better on a more permanent basis. I found the Creative Zen absolutely amazing and didn't really want to part with it, but I needed something with a little more memory at a decent price. After reading various reviews I ended up going for the Sansa Clip 8GB because it seemed simple to use with a decent amount of memory for what I needed.

After receiving it I immediately unpackaged it and plugged it in to charge but found that there was no response from either the computer or the player. I tried it on 4 different computers to no avail and even followed the steps on the help section of Sansa's website. Embarassingly enough it turned out that the USB connector was a little stiff and although it first appears to be connected, it does benefit from a firm wiggle to get it completely in place. Problem solved!

I almost ended up sending it back in frustration but I'm glad I didn't because this had been an amazing little mp3 player. Goes up to a half-decent volume and the battery lasts a lot longer than I thought. Definitely read this before attempting to send it back if you have connection issues because it might be something so simple as the connection!