Profile for Kit > Reviews

The Little Stranger
The Little Stranger
by Sarah Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 28 April 2010
This review is from: The Little Stranger (Paperback)
I finished this book last night and it damn near broke my heart. I felt such sorrow which I still feel today, that it was like a painful dull ache. I certainly never expected this when I started it, but I'm so glad I did as I would hated to have missed this book.

The story is absolutely enthralling, and I don't think there's a wasted word in the whole of the 498 pages. Dr Faraday is a wonderful narrator, and Waters describes his changing attitudes and feelings absolutely perfectly. And I have to take exception (as a 37 old) that at nearly 40, he's pushing middle age!

The book was scary, and even more so for the delayed build up; I had goosebumps countless times. What I find scarier is what is left to the imagination, which Sarah Waters does wonderfully.

The best book I've read in ages and ages. So 5 stars.

On Beulah Height (A Dalziel & Pascoe Novel)
On Beulah Height (A Dalziel & Pascoe Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stays With You, 23 Jun. 2009
I was going to put "haunting," but it seems a little over-used. Oh all right, it's haunting. I read it a couple of weeks ago and the ending is still in my mind.

The baking hot weather reminds you of the hot summers when you were a kid and tarmac shimmered; it's like another character in the book. The way Hill interweaves the fantasy elements of the nix, the old transcripts from Betsy Allgood and the current goings on is excellent. And Cap is back, but with better taste in whisky this time.

The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe Novel)
The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe Novel)

4.0 out of 5 stars Stormy Weather, 23 Jun. 2009
I'm getting to really love the characters in these books and care about them as if they were friends. Poor old Pascoe tends to get some stick, though, both physical and mental, especially in this one. I'm really enjoying these mid-period novels and just goes to show how characters develop over time.

I love the literary allusions and loved the relationship between Dalziel and Cap Marvell, despite her taste in whisky. Yes, the WW1 connections strain credulity, but this is a novel not non-fiction.

Bones and Silence (Dalziel and Pascoe)
Bones and Silence (Dalziel and Pascoe)

4.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait so long?, 23 Jun. 2009
I must have had this book on the "waiting to read" shelf for a long time, (maybe even 3 or 4 years!) and I'd pick it up, re-read the first few pages, put it down, wait a bit longer... Recently I persevered that little bit longer and was gradually drawn in until I was really enjoying it.

The odd tangent here and there were a little bit tiresome, but the ending was sad, unexpected and amazing.

Venetia
Venetia

4.0 out of 5 stars An Autumnal Idyll, 2 April 2009
This review is from: Venetia (Paperback)
This book is really enjoyable, while also being funny and romantic. Definitely one of my favourites out of the ten or so Georgette novels I have read so far, along with Friday's Child and Arabella. Damerel is quite an exciting character and bursts on the scene on his first appearance rather like Flasheart in Blackadder, all flashing teeth and codpiece.

He develops into a gentler, more appealing character, struggling against his base instincts. Venetia is quite a saucepot too really, especially at the end!

The book loses pace somewhat in the latter third of the book, when the action moves away from Yorkshire, but picks up again when Venetia... but that would be spoiling it.

The Corinthian
The Corinthian

2.0 out of 5 stars Farcical and bizarre, 2 April 2009
This review is from: The Corinthian (Paperback)
This was my tenth GH novel and it has been my least favourite, I'm afraid. It was also my second attempt at it, after giving up the first time after Sir Richard and Pen disappear from London.

I went back to it after thinking it was a shame to miss out on a spot of Georgette and so I had another go. On re-reading I began to think I might have been too hasty when I gave it up the first time, as things fairly rattle along (literally) while they are in the stage coach and then at the inn where they re-encounter the shady character from the coach (not to give anything away). But then the book degenerates into farce not long after they arrive in the village near where Piers lives and I almost wished I'd not bothered picking the thing back up again.

I found the triangle of Piers, Pen and the other girl hugely irritating, characters are dispensed with casually and the whole thing is preposterous, even for Georgette! It was the biggest piece of fluff I've ever read!

Friday's Child
Friday's Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, thank you., 31 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Friday's Child (Paperback)
As others have said it is the supporting characters that make this book so enoyable. For Ferdy and Gil I had Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt from The Mighty Boosh, which worked rather well, and an early 90's Brett Anderson from Suede for George. Ferdy made me laugh out loud on occasion.

Russell Brand made an excellent Sherry, but I couldn't come up with someone for Hero, which was a bit of a struggle throughout the book, to be honest.

Very good, though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2015 9:14 PM BST

Arabella
Arabella

4.0 out of 5 stars Ulysees Steals the Show., 12 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I seem to be chain-reading Heyer's Regency romances at the moment, and this one has been my latest. I very much enjoyed it, but the book only really came to life after the rescue and Beaumaris's subsequent adoption of Ulysees the mongrel. His relationship with Ulysees and also that of his staff is joyful. (While we are on the subject, a mention must also go to Painswick, Beaumaris's fastidious valet - a very camp David Walliams should play him if ever there was a dramatisation.)

I did find it a bit hard to believe sometimes how Beaumaris always seemed to know everything, but maybe that's just fustian nonsense on my part.

A Civil Contract
A Civil Contract

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable., 11 Aug. 2008
This review is from: A Civil Contract (Paperback)
This is kind of an anti-romance novel, in a way, as the Jenny and Adam did not marry for love and the hero's real love is an exasperating air-head who I was thoroughly glad he did not marry. Jenny is warm and sensible and deserves love from someone worthy of her, as well as being awash with blunt, as one might have said back then.

His father in law, Mr Chawleigh, is great. I imagined him throughout as Stephen Fry in a big wig with a preposterous Northern accent.

The Complete McAuslan
The Complete McAuslan
by George MacDonald Fraser

4.0 out of 5 stars Really really good, 30 July 2008
This review is from: The Complete McAuslan (Paperback)
Fantastic book. Don't be misled into thinking it is all about McAuslan as there are plenty of other characters to warm the cockles of your heart. My advice is is to find a nice quiet corner next to the fire on a cold night, pull the curtains, pour yourself a large malt and immerse yourself. Heaven.

Page: 1 | 2