Profile for R. J. Peat > Reviews

Content by R. J. Peat

R. J. Peat "robpeat" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS Multisport Watch
Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS Multisport Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Mar. 2013
I've had two 610s prior to getting the 910. One lasted a week beyond warranty and the other went back 2 months after purchase as faulty. I won't comment on the tri functionality of this watch as primarily I bought it to do everything the 610 did for running but without failing.

It hasn't disappointed. It's reliable and rugged but its also far easier to see and navigate than trying to use the frankly gimmicky touch screen of the 610.

Essentially it's the same/better functionality housed in a more user friendly she'll.

Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch with Heart Rate Monitor

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 1 Mar. 2013
On the plus side the 610 is relatively small and discreet and when it works its a great piece of kit.

On the down side the touchscreen seems gimmicky and fiddly, but the biggest issue for me (and seemingly others I've spoken to) is that the watch is hugely unreliable in terms of charging.

Most days the watch would be fine but there were other occasions where, for example, I'd put it on charge at 60% only to come back to it later to find it much lower with the charger 'dis-charging' the battery rather than 're-charging'. When that happened the only thing that worked was to let it discharge completely and then it would usually start working again. That didn't help if you needed to run at a certain time but wasn't the worst issue.

On other occasions the watch would go on charge and immediately indicate and stay at 100% when I knew it couldn't be as I'd used it since last charge. On 2 my last 3 runs with the device this happened only for me to then get a 'Low battery' indicator early in the run then for it to switch off with no power shortly afterwards.

When you've learned to rely on your Garmins for training that sort of unreliability makes the 610 more of a hinderance than a help.

Tried updating the software and OS with no difference made and tried using a different charger with the the same result.

Returned to Amazon who were excellent. I'd had the 610 for about 4 months and they gave full refund so I ordered a 910 instead - which seems less gimmicky and far, far more reliable.

The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this enough, 1 Mar. 2013
This is a fascinating book. I initially bought it as Steve Peters work with sports stars was of interest but I've almost accidentally found that it's a great self help programme that's had a positive impact on many areas of my life.

I've never followed self-help guides before and been dismissive of the idea but the concepts in this book are simply understood and it's very easy to see examples of behaviours/thinking in your own life. Once you recognise them you're well on the way to managing them.

Net result is that I feel calmer, happier and clearer in terms of what's important in life - my partner feels there's been a seismic change!

Advanced Marathoning
Advanced Marathoning

5.0 out of 5 stars The marathon runner's bible, 1 Mar. 2013
Don't worry about the title, this is the definitive training guide for anyone looking to run a time in a marathon.

If you're looking simply to 'get round' or adopting a walk run approach then there's probably little for you here but if you're running the race and have a time in mind (no matter how fast or slow) then this book will give you all the components of training and an appropriate plan - all specific to the marathon rather than generic multi-distance guides.

Pilates-Mad Core-Fitness Mat - Black
Pilates-Mad Core-Fitness Mat - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mat, 7 May 2012
A friend recommended this to me and she wasn't wrong.

It's relatively bulky but can be rolled and strapped and will lie flat without too much difficulty due to its weight and being rolled different ways each time it's packed away.

Biggest pluses are it's thickness - incredibly comfortable - and its length. Far, far better than the yoga mat I'd used before.

The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking
The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 May 2012
A really great book and perfect accompaniment to the recent TV series (their best yet).

It features most of the recipes from the series along with occasional additions. Nicely illustrated and the recipes are easy to follow.

Only slight cticism is the title - which suggests its a general baking book rather than specifically an accompaniment to Bakeation.

One2Fit Resistance Bands for Exercise (medium to Xheavy) - set of 3
One2Fit Resistance Bands for Exercise (medium to Xheavy) - set of 3
Offered by One2FitnessUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money, 15 Aug. 2010
First problem with these bands is that they don't match normal resistance levels, so 'medium' is more like very light,' heavy' more like light and 'extra heavy' about equates to medium. That meant I had to throw two away to start with.

Second problem is they are incredibly thin rubber - nowhere near as thick as the stuff you'd get from a physio - almost semi transparent.

Presumably that was why the 'extra heavy' snapped in half the very first time I used it.

For comparison the last resistance band had been used daily for the same exercise for nearly two years before it began to tear but even then didn't snap.

Absolute rip off - don't waste your money.

Terraillon 10 Kg Pro 1002 Scale
Terraillon 10 Kg Pro 1002 Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Excedllent, 15 Aug. 2010
Really fantastic scales. Seem very accurate, high capacity, easy to clean, no variations in weighing.

Bandslam [DVD] [2009]
Bandslam [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Lisa Kudrow
Offered by simply-well-priced

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised after expecting the worst, 5 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Bandslam [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
My eldest (10 years) was desperate to see this film and I drew the seemingly short straw of taking her. At the cinema the small audience consisted solely of pre-adolescent girls and their mothers which reinforced my fears that the film would be exactly wht it was marketed as - a typically American cheese-fest and HSM cash in.

I set myself up for a post popcorn snooze but when the film opened with David Bowie homage I felt a glimmer of interest, and what followed was a fairly quirky, charming, funny and at times reasonably touching film with some really, really good music.

Not only did I enjoy it but my daughter did too, though it possibly wasn't the film she'd expected, and she was delighted that her dad was so enthusiastic about it and it sparked an appreciation of bluebeat for her.

We've ordered various dvds for the kids this Christmas, some I've seen and some I haven't but I can honestly say this is the film I'm most looking forward to the family watching.

Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery
Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery
by Madhur Jaffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible?, 20 April 2003
This is the dirtiest, stained, moth eaten cookery book we own. Thats hardly surprising with the amount of use its had!
This book gives a great introduction to Indian cookery. If you've never cooked an Indian meal before (and pre-prepared sauces and pastes don't count) you should try it. The book gives highly prescriptive (use 3 peppercorns!) but easy to follow recipies for well known and less known dishes. The fool proof recipies are a great starting point for enjoying this type of cookery and provides a good foundation for personalising dishes to your own preference as you develop a good understanding of the wide range of Indian ingrediants.

Page: 1 | 2