Profile for S. Perry > Reviews

Coconoil - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - 460g
Coconoil - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - 460g
Offered by Blue Herbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 21 Dec 2013
great quality, love it. A really versititile product that smells great and leaves your skin feeling super soft and smooth.

Songmics New Garment rack Clothes rail Hanger 150 x 140 x 30cm HRA001
Songmics New Garment rack Clothes rail Hanger 150 x 140 x 30cm HRA001
Offered by Songmics

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 Dec 2013
Looks great, easy to build, very sturdy decent material, Would really recommend this. Lots of space underneath for storing shoes too!

ForeFront Cases® New iPad Mini Leather Case Cover / Stand For New APPLE IPAD MINI / New Generation iPad mini with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function (BLACK)
Offered by Forefront Cases

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality, 8 Sep 2013
Looks good, decent quality and does the job
Next time I get a cover though I'd prefer one that allows the ipad to sit more upright.

Stardust Kids Elvis Baby Shoes 0 - 6 Mths (Blue)
Stardust Kids Elvis Baby Shoes 0 - 6 Mths (Blue)
Offered by Stardust

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Shoes, 8 Sep 2013
We got these as a gift for our boss who was going on maternity leave who is a huuuge Elvis fan.
Apart from the fact we thought they'd be suede (it's blue leather) they were wonderful and adorable.
She loved it.
Also we ordered it without realising it was 7-10 day wait according to their stated delivery schedule but that meant we might not get them in time...we sent a message to Stardust Kids and god love 'em they sent it out to us recorded delivery.
Couldn't have had better service from them.
Thanks

The Tesseract
The Tesseract
by Alex Garland

2.0 out of 5 stars Limp, 21 July 2012
This review is from: The Tesseract (Paperback)
So I'm not the first to open my review with 'I loved The Beach'...with The Tesseract I felt like it was a completely difference writer. I'm not a huge fan of several narratives that 'come together in one explosive finale'. Firstly because there'll be a character that I can't (and don't) get enough of and secondly, because there'll be a character who I couldn't give a toss about going on too long. Of which there were both. I loved the street kid story, was bored to tears about the woman and her children, and was indifferent to the opening character, Sean.
An as for the finale of the Tesseract well, it was all right, but it certainly wasn't explosive.

The Tesseract lacked the punch of The Beach with lack lustre characters which lacked the delightful flow of his earlier book. This review got a two star rather than a one star because the street kid story was very enjoyable.

The Book of Dave: A Revelation of the Recent Past and the Distant Future
The Book of Dave: A Revelation of the Recent Past and the Distant Future
by Will Self

3.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge is necessary, 11 July 2012
Phew, Self doesn't half make you work for your entertainment.
I can see why so many people dropped off before the half way mark - the chapters in the AD (After Dave) periods are written in mockney which is frankly inpenetrable. As a mockney speaker myself I struggled with the way its presented, though you do get used to it. Also I found some of the terminology (Decaux, irony, budout and especially toyist) rather laboured, but others fun (foglamp, screenwash, the tarrifs and cloakyfings).

As the book progresses it gets easier (when 'arpee' is used more and the Mockney less). The plot moves a lot better after you reach the half way point and I went from: can I be arsed to carry on with it, to oh go on then, let's find out.

Whilst it's amusing and clever, knowing London well greatly helped for the parts that he's being particularly *clever* or tongue-in-cheek about London, you do have to know the place to appreciate it. For example when our characters arrive in Nu London and see the 'hilltop Manors of Millwall and Deptford...Bermondsey Hills' - readers with a living knowledge of London will crack a knowing smile. However, for People outside the capital, let alone outside the British Isles, I imagine it would be a struggle of a read. I also have got to the end of it and can work out the real names of Not, Cot, Wyc, Lut, Chi etc but cannot for the life of me get Bril. Any suggestions welcome.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 5:20 PM GMT

The Sagas of the Icelanders (World of the Sagas)
The Sagas of the Icelanders (World of the Sagas)
by Jane Smiley

3.0 out of 5 stars Weighty, 1 May 2012
Got as a gift and seems very happy about the sheer weight of the thing (looks very comprehensive). However, the quality of the book itself is a bit odd - the paper isn't quite straight - normally a book would have all the pages in line, it's like the paper hasn't been cut properly.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2013 8:39 PM GMT

Pac Man Bottle Opener with Magnetic Back
Pac Man Bottle Opener with Magnetic Back
Offered by TheArtOfShoppingdotcodotuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 1 May 2012
Birthday gift that went down so well that got two more for people. Looks brill on the fridge, oh and it works too!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Individual!, 1 May 2012
Got it for my boyfriend who really wanted one of these bags. Didn't want to get Gola or Addidas (which everyone has). Got this - love the design and colour. Good quality. Nice one.

Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
by Gregory Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest not schmaltzy, 23 Dec 2011
I bought this as I'm researching gang life and rehabilitation. On receiving the book, I realised that Boyle was a minister and American, I had a sinking feeling that it would be like a lot of terribly written, preachy Christian books.

How wrong I was, Boyle is so honest and humble with compassion that frankly would probably put most Christians, nay Jesus to shame. I think I cried through 95% of the book, precisely because he didn't ham up the tragic stories that fill the pages. I think his amazing honesty also comes from the gangs he works with, which is what makes it a beautiful rollercoaster of emotions. As a non-christian/religious person, I didn't find his references to the teachings of Jesus tiresome, in fact they were reflective and thought provoking. Moreover, Boyle seemed as likely to uses the words of Emily Dickinson, William Blake and Buddha as he is the bible.

Kudos to Boyle, Homeboy Industries, his belief in people that lets them believe in themselves, and the recurring idea of standing next to the people we demonize. This is a guy who practices what he preaches (and still thinks he doesn't do enough). What a story.