Profile for JBV > Reviews

Content by JBV

JBV "JBV^_^"
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Cole & Mason Electronic Gourmet Precision Grind 21 cm Greenwich Stainless Steel Pepper Mill

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pepper Mill, 20 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fantastic product, with a couple of minor irritants.

The store for the pepper corns is made of glass, while the outside is stainless steel. There's a large silver button on top to operate and a choice of 5 settings. These vary from coarse to very fine. The only problem I have with it is selecting the grinding setting. It's a bit on the stiff side and sometimes it ends up undoing the pepper store instead of changing the setting. Hopefully this will loosen with time.

The other problem is the number of batteries: 6 AAA. Why 6? Batteries are commonly sold in packs of 4 or 8. But let's face it, that's just me being picky. I'm still running the first set of batteries, so I have no idea how long they'll last. I would be surprised if it was less than 3 months and would expect it to be more like 6.

To be honest, I'm thinking of buying the salt mill, as the one I've got keeps getting blocked.

Philips M120G/10 In.Sight Wireless HD Home Monitor (Pack of 2)
Philips M120G/10 In.Sight Wireless HD Home Monitor (Pack of 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, bad system., 20 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are lovely looking cameras.
As far as setting them up is concerned it's made pretty automatic.

And that's where the problems are. You see, I build computers and set up networks. The main thing I wanted to do was install a server for these on my computer and store the video on one of the hard drives.

Guess what? That's one of the things you can't do. You can watch the video on your phone/tablet via one of two apps available, but unless you're willing to pay a subscription service, you can't store video.

So, if you're willing to pay at least £8 per month, and you have no interest in low level set up, then these may be for you.

If you know anything about computers and security systems: Avoid.

Hello Kitty Pyjama grey (XL)
Hello Kitty Pyjama grey (XL)
Offered by LamaLoLi - Dreams Come True

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosy Kitty and NOT PINK, 25 Nov 2014
This review is from: Hello Kitty Pyjama grey (Apparel)
Bought these for my Wifes birthday. She loves them.
I'll probably have to by another set.

As usual, the trousers are a bit long (she has short legs) but not too bad. And the great think is they're not pink.

Why do companies think women like pink. Neither my wife or daughter like pink, and I hate it with a passion. The pink only pink is kittys bow. I can live with that. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find Hello Kitty stuff which isn't pink?

Have another 3 stars for not being pink.

Till We Meet Again: A Bamforth Gift Book of WW1 Postcard Images (Bamforth Gift Books)
by Bamforth & Co

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed Chance., 25 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sickly Victorian Sentimentality. I think those are the best way to describe the contents of this book, even though the cards are post Victorian.

The main problem is this only shows the front of the card. What I wanted to see was the hand-written reverse. The card itself is meaningless, the actual stuff people say to each other in time of war is fascinating.

If you collect postcards, then you may like this book. If you want an insight into what people thought during the war, try the Wipers Times.

The Duppy Share Golden Caribbean Rum 70 cl
The Duppy Share Golden Caribbean Rum 70 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars The best rum? Maybe., 6 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My preferred drink is single malt whiskey, the next is a good vodka. Rum is normally relegated to third or fourth place.

This rum is matured in oak casks, and that seems to make a difference. A lot of rums smell really nice, but have a chemical after taste, sort of like that you get with cheap vodka. This doesn't.

It came with a selection of mixer ideas, some of which I've tried and like. As with the vodka, this is really nice with ginger (wine and beer!) It's tolerable with ice, unlike certain white rums, but it's great when mixed.

Okay, so it's not going to replace a good 15yo single malt whiskey, but its far and away the best Rum I've had.

NERF Rebelle   Rapid Blaster
NERF Rebelle Rapid Blaster

3.0 out of 5 stars Why are they allowed to make Girl Only products and not Boy Only?, 6 Nov 2014
This review is from: NERF Rebelle Rapid Blaster (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This isn't a rapid fire gun, it's actually a semi-automatic single shot weapon. It just looks like a machine-pistol.

The magazine can hold at least 12 shots (supplied), and looks like it can hold a few more.

The magazine is transparent red on one side, which allows you to read the pre-printed messages on the darts. My personal thought is why? Wouldn't it be better for the target to read them? Are the teams supposed to wear red goggles?

And that leads on to the other problem: Why a girl specific gun? What's wrong with the standard white/red and blue ones? Does this mean they're going to make Boy specific ones? Maybe camouflage? Sorry, it would be sexist to make them boy specific wouldn't it.

Actually, when I showed it to my daughter. she went - yuck. It's got pink on it. I only know one girl who likes pink, and I haven't seen her for years.

So as a gun, it's quite good. As a product idea, it's really bad.

The Evolutionist; The Strange Tale of Alfred Russel Wallace
The Evolutionist; The Strange Tale of Alfred Russel Wallace
by Avi Sirlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiction, not Biography, 3 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure that I'll finish this book. I got it because the category was Biography, but in fact this is a novel based on the life of A R Wallace.

Think of it as one of the docu-dramas you see on TV. It's okay,but not what I wanted.

Marathon Angel Without Fly Men's Boxers Black/White Horizontal Stripes X-Large
Marathon Angel Without Fly Men's Boxers Black/White Horizontal Stripes X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic comfort., 26 Oct 2014
Like all marathon boxers, the fit is great and they're really comfortable.

Unfortunately, I'm now having difficulty getting my size in the colours I want. If you can, get them,

Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)
Offered by SoftwareDirect2u

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value photo editor for Portraits, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used all the main photo editing packages over the years. Photoshop and PhotoPlus (Serif) are the two I use the most. Wjhy? Photoshop, while expensive is also massively powerful. Photo plus on the otherhand has 64 bit twain that speeds up scanning.

So what about PSP X7? The last time I used PSP was when the X series started. It should have been good, but there were several things that killed it. If you created a selection, it was only usable with a limited number of tools, the others required their own selections, created in a tiny window, which was nearly impossible to use. Now though, all tools operate on the single section (as far as I can tell.)

I'm only testing the 64 bit version. so the speed of the tools varies quite a bit. None are so slow as to be unusable (unlike in the past (32 bit versions), though that depends on your computer. I'm running a 6 core 3.6ghz processor with 16gb of ram and a graphics card with 3gb of onboard ram, purpose built for photo editing and gaming.

It opens all the RAW files for the cameras I own, though admittedly the newest camera is two years old. This is one of the disappointments in this package. The RAW lab is very basic. The only options are for brightness/Shadow/Contrast and the usual tone options. Nothing else. It does work, but nothing like Lightroom. it might as well be another Open/Import file option as everything needs to be done in the main package.

So anything else I don't like? The UI is almost a copy of Lightroom. Three tabs at the top switch between Manage, Adjust and Edit modes. This isn't bad in itself, but I keep forgetting that you don't need to double-click to select! As I said, like Lightroom.

So what's the difference between this and the standard package? FaceFilter 3. This standalone package does what it's name implies, it automates portraits. I tried this out on my daughters Prom photo, and was impressed at how easy it was to apply different levels of "make-up" to her. It also has a wide variety of options to alter the background. Overall this impressed me, though why you'd want to adjust the models bone structure is beyond me. If you don't like the way her face looks, get a different model!

So should you get this? If you can't afford Photoshop, then this is one of two photo editing packages I recommend, the other being Photo Plus X7. If you use a scanner a lot, Photo plus is a no brainer with it's 64 bit version of Twain. It's so much faster than everything else. Otherwise the two are pretty much the same in terms of price and performance. If you do a lot of portraiture, then this is a great choice.

Weldtite Headset Bearing Cage 5/32", Caged Precision Bearings
Weldtite Headset Bearing Cage 5/32", Caged Precision Bearings
Offered by The Little Bike Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars If you need new headset bearings. buy them., 23 Sep 2014
They're headset bearings. Before buying make sure:
a:.They're right size: These are for older headsets which screw together (normally 1".)
b: The face of the headset cup isn't worn or scored. IF it is, buy a new headset and either fit it yourself, or get a shop to fit it for you. The new headset will come complete with bearings.

How long they last? The last lot I bought are still going 8 years later. It's not as though they're wheel bearings after all. Just re-grease once or twice a year.

Would have given 5 stars, but the packaging wasn't too good. One had bent, allowing a bearing to fall out. Just pop the bearing back in the cage, put between two flat surfaces (table and piece of wood) and press. All done. Fit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16