Profile for N. S. Macdonald > Reviews

Content by N. S. Macdonald

N. S. Macdonald "Neil Mac" (Mallorca, Spain)

Samson C01U Recording and Podcasting Microphone Pak
Samson C01U Recording and Podcasting Microphone Pak

3.0 out of 5 stars Tinny with unusable software, 15 Aug 2013
Nowhere in the marketing are you told that the Cakewalk software does not work on a Macbook, had I known I would have bought seperate components in kit form rather than the set - it would have been cheaper. I really needed to be able to plug and play rather than lose a day in a tech support issue. Please label this item as "Not compatible with Mac".

OK, on to the mic - I have been playing with the sound input into my macbook, no matter what the sound is tinny and voices come out as nasal and crispy, even with the pop filter. I would have expected richer bass sounds but so far haven't been able to find them. I am getting better results with a cheap mic I have connected to the jack socket, so far I haven't found a practical use for the mic where quality is good enough.

I am prepared to give the mic the benefit of doubt in the hope that I will find a way to make the quality better.

Three stars on that basis, rather than 2.

Wartime Courage: Stories of Extraordinary Courage by Ordinary People in World War Two
by Gordon Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, the nerve of the man..., 30 Aug 2009
This book is a disgrace,

Gordon Brown is the most incompetent and inept politician of modern times.

Lacking the courage to have ever served in the armed forces, he contents himself to a Walter Mitty journey through the lives of those that did face the horrors of war.

Yet Mr Brown chooses World War 2, ignoring again the "Stories of extraordinary courage" displayed by the betrayed servicemen and women scratching for survival in Afghanistan. If Brown ever had empathy, he would supply the helicopters so badly needed.

And how did Mr Brown reward General Dannatt, a fine and honourable man ? Did he praise his courage ? No, Brown allowed a thoroughly decent man to be smeared and hounded out of a job.

Do not waste money on this vacuous trash, do not give our unelected, lying Prime Minister who has allowed our armed forces to be betrayed, the satisfaction.

Courage? Brown is a coward, he does not understand the meaning of the word. How many more repatriations through Wootton Bassett before our troops get what they need ?

Don't buy this book. Instead, send the money to Help for Heroes, and take time to ask those servicemen and women for their stories, you will really understand the meaning of courage.

Chickenhawk
Chickenhawk
by Robert Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Change your life., 26 Mar 2005
This review is from: Chickenhawk (Paperback)
Read this book and change your life.
I have a hole inside me, it was formed as I turned the last pages of Chickenhawk for the first time. Mason's story is written with such honesty and clarity that the you immediately empathise with the fresh faced young Mason, and you feel great for it. As the story progresses, Mason's descent into horror hooks you, and by the time you realise what's going on, it's too late. You're no longer a spectator. Mason has paid the highest tribute to the men who suffered in Viet Nam by allowing us to experience the horror, in ways that are too real, too uncomfortable. I have never been more grateful to an author. This book changed my life. I have NEVER met anyone who has read it that hasn't felt the same way. I cried when I finished "We Were Soldiers Once and Young", but I got over it.
I have NEVER got over Chickenhawk. If there's only one book on your shelf, make it this one.
Thank you, Robert Mason.

Seeking Sanctuary
Seeking Sanctuary
by Frances Fyfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful, 24 Sep 2004
This review is from: Seeking Sanctuary (Paperback)
One star, because I apparantly can't give it none. The opening pages seem to promise me a great read, but this feeling quickly dissipated as the unlikely, mind numbingly boring characters and undeveloping plot line left me not caring what happened next.