Profile for Rob C > Reviews

Content by Rob C

Rob C "Rooty" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Garmin Vivosmart Activity Tracker with Smart Notification - Blue (Large)
Garmin Vivosmart Activity Tracker with Smart Notification - Blue (Large)

1.0 out of 5 stars Best to avoid, 16 May 2016
Less than four months later and, like many others have discovered, the display is beginning to fail. Just to be clear: I never submerged it in water (I always took it off when showering / washing up) and it's been well treated otherwise.

I wish I'd spent the money on a better band.

Daylight Company Natural Light X-Large LED Lamp
Daylight Company Natural Light X-Large LED Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love this light, 8 May 2016
I've many LED bulbs in the home, from ceiling lighting to centrally controlled mood and desk lighting options, so I know how pleasant living with LED lights can be. I'm also aware that they can produce a quite soft, "yellow" tone too, which many find frustrating and is totally useless when painting miniatures, my hobby, the reason for this lamp's purchase.

I've got two small desk task lights already, an LED task version and a single 14w florescent tube version. Both are fine in their own way, but neither are particularly height adjustable and coverage isn't great, and I wanted to banish shadows across my entire work area, while having a light source that could be positioned anywhere.

With 84 LEDs in two rows, and a width of around 50cm, my work desk is pretty well saturated in an even-spread of 'natural' light. You've options to turn off either the front or back row of 42 LEDs, and good control of the brightness too. As another reviewer pointed out, the clamp is designed to be positioned directly behind the lamp, but for logistical reasons I've had fix it to one diagonal corner edge of my desk. Fortunately the arm of the lamp has enough flexibility, to position the lamp itself horizontally in front of me, at around head height.

Not much more to say about it, other than to share why I opted for the LED version and not the "Triple Bright Lamp, 3 x 14W Tubes" version. The features seem identical, and yet the technology employed is different. As mentioned, I have experience of both LED and a florescent tube craft lamps.

The LED version:
o lower energy, at 21 watts
o zero warm up time: it's on at the correct luminescence instantly
o almost totally cool in operation (i.e. the LEDs give off zero heat)

The Florescent Tube version:
o higher energy, at 42 watts
o takes 60 seconds to warm up and reach the correct luminescence
o my experience of florescent tubes is that they get hot

The LED version does have a slightly lower incandescence, equivalent to 375 watts vs the tube version's 403 watts.

The biggest no-no with florescent lighting is the heat they generate: while the LED version doesn't bake you / whatever you are working on! And when you are working with quick-drying acrylic model paint, that's a huge consideration.

I've only had the lamp a few days, so it's too early to comment on longevity. I'll try to remember to update after a period of extended use with further thoughts, if any.

Catit Design Cat Cabrio Carrier Flight/ Airline Approved, Orange/ Grey/ White
Catit Design Cat Cabrio Carrier Flight/ Airline Approved, Orange/ Grey/ White

1.0 out of 5 stars Years of slightly stressful use and I wouldn't buy again, 12 April 2016
This is a visually attractive pet carrier that I have been using for a number of years, but not heavily used.

o The most plastic carrier I've ever owned. And by plastic I mean "flimsy".

o As many have reported, I recall that construction was a faff.

o The top lid splits into two halves and can be fiddly to close, more so with a cat inside who doesn't want to go to the vets!

o Very unbalanced when carrying, because the front door is heavier than the rear.

o I was always worried that if the carrier got knocked against something, say a doorframe at the vets, the top catches could pop open and / or the plastic side clips that hold the hinged lid halves to the base might snap off. I used to wrap the handle with a couple of strips of velcro to make the lid more secure.

o The front door ... I never felt comfortable with it. Yes it generally shut OK, but as time wore on, the single-point plastic front door locking mechanism gave the impression that it wasn't as secure as it once was and I was alway double-checking it, especially after someone else closed it. I didn't go so far as to add a padlock of something similar, but I was sorely tempted.

I wrote all the above in the past tense because the other day the plastic flange on the top hinge of the front door cracked. Partially my fault for not checking the door was shut properly; it wasn't. I was returning the carrier to the garage after visiting the vets without, I stress, my cat inside, and the door swung open and struck the body of the carrier with some force and the damage was done.

To be honest, it was almost a relief to have to buy a new carrier!

Petmate 2 Door Top Load Carrier, 24-Inch, Ash Blue
Petmate 2 Door Top Load Carrier, 24-Inch, Ash Blue
Offered by Pet Play Pads

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, roomy carrier with very secure door and top load hatch, 12 April 2016
This is an American built carrier, at the time of writing, the number one best selling pet carrier on the Amazon USA site. Since it doesn't seem that wildly available in the UK I was delighted that Amazon UK stocked it. Do take a look at the couple of thousand Amazon USA reviews before making up your mind up about this carrier.

My history: The door hinge broke on my old 22" cat carrier and for reasons of storage space I tried to downsize to the Amazon Basics 19" carrier, in theory only 3" smaller, but which proved to be far too small for an adult cat. So back in the market for something larger, I hunted around till I found this one. It's a roomy transporter, but not heavy in my opinion, so large you could probably fit two friendly cats together in this! I've come to the conclusion that cat carriers are either too small for comfort or unnecessarily large for the average moggie...

Overall this Petmate carrier has a good quality feel to it, the plastic seems rugged enough and I like that the top and bottom fit together with 9 screws + bolts (I was provided with plenty of spares). You can certainly take the top and bottom apart for storage, but it would be a faff in my opinion, but the option is there.

The front door and in particular the upper hatch feel well constructed, and I see it as a positive that the locking mechanism for each require two fingers to open as you are required to squeeze a pair of dual sprung handles together to unlock. For this reason there is little chance of either opening accidentally, say if the carrier was accidentally dropped.

In summary: a roomy, well built carrier with secure locks. Recommended.

AmazonBasics 19-Inch (48 cm) Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel
AmazonBasics 19-Inch (48 cm) Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel

4.0 out of 5 stars The 19" is very small for an adult cat and I have concerns about the top door, 12 April 2016
In principle I do like this AmazonBasics 19" pet carrier. The price is certainly right and the build quality is very good, with one caveat (below). I do have two points to add to the reviews of others from my personal perspective:

1) My cat is an old man now (16) and has always been tiny (3.4kg) and with a bit of bedding in the base of the carrier it really seems like a bit of prison to me. The vets' practice is literally a few minutes away, but I'd hesitate to take him even that far in this carrier as it's really tight inside, even for a small cat. I've placed it on the floor and the lid off with some bedding inside to see how he'd fair with it. He can lie on his chest lengthwise with no problem, and indeed he has slept in a ball, which suggest a possible "turning circle" within, but the dimensions are tight. I'd say that the 19" is fine for kittens and adolescent cats, but nothing larger.

2) Others have expressed concerns on here and the Amazon USA site regarding the unusual locking mechanism employed in the top-loading lid. It probably would be fine, but if the unexpected were to happen and say the carrier was dropped, I'd argue that there is a *small* possibility of one or both of the "locking rods" slipping from the groove they are in. It really is a shame that Amazon didn't opt for a more secure method. I realise that nothing is guaranteed when transporting your pet, but I'd only use this style of carrier with a strap running around the centre under the handle to ensure that that lid can't come off.

I've not opted for the larger 23" model, because of the lid. Instead I settled on the Petmate 2 Door Top Load Carrier, 24-Inch (purchased from Amazon). It's a massive carrier, overly big for my cat, but I feel *much* happier with the top load hatch.

Venom Universal Gaming Camera TV Mount (PS4 / Xbox One)
Venom Universal Gaming Camera TV Mount (PS4 / Xbox One)
Offered by VENOM UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 18 Mar. 2016
The mount is *nothing* like the photos shown for the product. For a start, it's a one piece unit, secondly you cannot adjust the distance between rear and front supports, thirdly there is no bolt / wingnut to tighten!

Basically the design may work for some people, but not for me.

And frankly I prefer my purchases to be "as described". It is being returned to Amazon.

Homescapes - Super Microfibre Bounce Back Pillows - PAIR - 5 Star Hotel Quality - The Best Synthetic Pillow Available from Homescapes - NOT HOLLOW FIBRE - EXCELLENT for Allergy Sufferers. Goose Down Like - Soft to Medium Support
Offered by HOMESCAPES

1.0 out of 5 stars Compresses almost flat when you rest your head, 24 Feb. 2016
Upon opening the bag they shipped in, it was clear that one pillow felt heavier and "fuller" than the other... So I put the limper pillow aside and this morning it seems to have puffed up (although it still feels less bulky than its counterpart). I gave them a quick test and was immediately concerned by the lack of support they offered.

After a night's sleep, my suspicions are confirmed: these pillows offer very little support. They do indeed bounce back, but they also compress to almost flat and thus I'd designate them as offering super light support.

Disclosure: I've a big head. Ahem, by which I mean I take a large hat size. For kids and those with, to be blunt, small / light heads, these may do the trick, but they aren't for me.

Programmable Fan Controller & Display
Programmable Fan Controller & Display
Offered by Coolerguys dot com

1.0 out of 5 stars When it works, it's great..., 22 Feb. 2016
REALLY liked this unit.

I purchased this in September, 2014. Last night the LED display died. If I unplug power and turn on again the LEDs do light up -- for a short while -- but none of the buttons are functional so, I can't for example change from F to C temperature modes. Nor can I set on / off range.

I bought the USB version of this device last year for another cabinet. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Had I reviewed this when it was working well, I would probably have given a 4 or 5, but sadly now I can only confer 1 star. I expect a simple device like this to last longer than 18 months.

Sanggol Single Contour Memory Foam Pillow with Free Zipped and Washable Temperature Sensitive Cover. Pillow Size Large: 61cmx40cmx12/10cm (24"x16"x5"/4")
Offered by Sanggol UK

1.0 out of 5 stars After a month ... terrible neck pain, 27 Jan. 2016
I can see why some folks wouldn't get on with a memory foam pillow, this type of contour style in particular, given it's 'weird' shape. But as someone who sleeps mostly on my side, I've been using this style of pillow for probably a decade now, replacing them every so often. The Sanggol contour is the most recent.

My first impression was of heat. Foam pillows transfer and retain heat from the body far more than regular pillows, and despite my familiarity, I'd forgotten how hot they can get. Granted this can be a negative, especially in the summer months, but by the second night I was used to.

As to support ... I can't tell any difference between this one and my previous contour pillow, so that's a bonus. The cover of this one is subjectively nicer though. Talking of which, regular pillow cases can be a bit of a faff to get on, but after all the years I'm used to it.

Update: 24th February

After using this pillow for getting on for a month, I've had to abandon it. I started to get neck pains recently with no discernible cause. This culminated at the weekend with a badly seized up neck on Sunday morning. After three nights back with my old pillow and my neck is almost back to normal. But I wont' forget the pain that I suffered these past few days, not for a long time!

The only thing that has changed in my life over the past month is this pillow. In my initial review I claimed (above) that I discern any difference between this and my previous memory foam pillow. On reflection (and after greater familiarity) I can state that I find this pillow a contradiction. On first blush it seems firm, with plenty of give, compresses well and recovers well, just like my previous pillow. But when you rest your head on it for any length of time, it compresses to the point where there is no give at all and it goes flat. The net result is that your neck is no longer supported at all (I sleep on my side). Worse than that, it's now resting on a "solid" surface. I believe this to be the cause of my neck problems.

I should add that I take a large hat size (i.e. I have a big head), those with average head size / weight may suffer less or not at all from the compression issue I experienced.

Regrettably, I'm lowering my star rating accordingly. This pillow is a thirty quid punt that may work for some, but not sadly for me.

60 Nespresso KRUPS Coffee Capsule Revolving Holder Stand Rack | Unbeatable Quality Guaranteed | Babavoom® N60
Offered by Babavoom

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product at a very fair price, 19 Jan. 2016
Compared to the competition these are a steal. I've bought a number of them and they are well built and quite "attractive" in the kitchen.

To facilitate pod recognition I cut the ends off the Nespresso cardboard tubes and blu-tac them vertically to the square sections below each pod column on the Babavoom holder. Works a treat, and don't look as tatty as it sounds. :-)
Comment Comment | Permalink