Profile for Mrs Pisaroni > Reviews

Content by Mrs Pisaroni

Mrs Pisaroni "reading,dreaming" (yorkshire,england)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Eagle [DVD] [2011]
The Eagle [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Channing Tatum
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars Deadly dull., 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Eagle [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Problems, problems, problems with this film.
American accents-jarring. Why was Mark Strong 'dubbed'? did not make sense.
The Picts??? Mohicans more like- again mystifying.
Cast? Channing Tatum-tried his best but not a convincing portrayal. Donald Sutherland?? Why? he appeared bored/spaced out or both and searching for the agent who sent him this 'turkey'. Jamie Bell ?? no comment.
The director has succeeded in making a film about an interesting period in history extremely boring, the actors have not helped either, and actually naming this as an adaptation-of sorts-of Rosemary Sutcliffe's excellent book seems an offence under ther trades description act. The 'buddy/buddy' ending was the final straw. Charity shop here I come.

The Great Fire [DVD] [2014]
The Great Fire [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Andrew Buchan

1.0 out of 5 stars London's burning-the ITV way......, 6 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Great Fire [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
The cast is a good one and yet not even Charles Dance and Andrew Buchan can save this turkey from the flames. A script that lays on the facts with a liberal lashing of treacle does not help. This is 'historical' programming the ITV way-for the masses, written by rote and labouring under under the impression that all viewers possess little capacity to understand history. It would not have surprised had each character come on with a name card, just so that we could remember who they were. A good drama needs to be made about the fire of London-perhaps another channel will do one some day-sadly this is not it and does little to restore any faith in any decent factual series being made by ITV.

Renshaws Regalice Grey Fondant Icing Edible 250g
Renshaws Regalice Grey Fondant Icing Edible 250g
Offered by Cake Decor Derby

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality high price ..., 13 Oct. 2014
Bought to make an 'iron throne' for a Game of Thrones ' birthday cake for daughter. Very 'sticky' and for what you get very expensive-comparable prices for 'Renshaws' in supermarkets much cheaper. Had I thought more carefully I would have purchased from there instead.

Game of Thrones 2015 Desk Diary
Game of Thrones 2015 Desk Diary
by Universal Publishers
Edition: Calendar

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply produced band-waggon jumping fare-steer clear, 3 Oct. 2014
This product is poor. On the site I bought from it is advertised with the tag line- 'Stay organised this year in the company of your favourite Game of Thrones CHARACTERS (my capitals)' but oddly there are no photos/illustrations of characters at all, just some pale washed out House sigils! The cover is shiny plastic, the paper cream, reasonable quality I suppose, but it is not the product it is purported to be. The price I paid was only marginally less than on Amazon. I would feel pretty cheated if I had paid the full price. I will find a use for it, but feel a little conned. .
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2014 5:50 PM GMT

The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister
The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister
by George R. R. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer my own adapted book, 2 Oct. 2014
This little book is ok I suppose-I confess to have bought it much cheaper than the on line price-and as some reviewers have said there are some 'good' quotes and some 'poor' quotes and some even better ones are not even there. The illustrations are pretty repulsive-NOT the Tyrion we have come to know and love from the TV shows. So, I decided to improve my copy. I have covered over the drawings with photographs of Tyrion from the TV show (The cover remains a problem which I'm working on). I have also written in many more better additional quotes that have been omitted (lets face it there is plenty of page space to do this) Result???? My own personal little book, better illustrated and more relevant to me. Would not have wanted to pay full price for what is essentially a money spinner for George RRM, who would surely be better engaged actually writing another book than getting involved in all the attendant publicity surrounding the series?

Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Brendan Gleeson

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, moving, well acted drama, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Calvary [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
First things first,this is not the 'wickedly funny black comedy' as mentioned on the cover of the DVD. What it certainly is however is a brilliantly acted drama with some humour amidst the thought provoking story. The opening confessional scene where the crux of the story begins is extremely moving in both the reaction of the Priest and the unseen Confessor and sets the seal for what happens in the film. As always the central performance from Brendan Gleeson is a master class in understated acting making you feel the characters sadness and doubts as he sees his community change before his eyes. His relationship with his daughter is particularly well acted by Gleeson and Kelly Reilly. A good ensemble cast give a sense of reality to each different character with Chris O'Dowd and Aiden Gillen particularly good. The ending is shocking, very shocking, make no mistake, and the final scenes emotional. This is a fine piece of film making.

The Bat: The First Harry Hole Case (Harry Hole 1)
The Bat: The First Harry Hole Case (Harry Hole 1)
by Jo Nesbo

2.0 out of 5 stars First in series not necessarily the best, 8 Aug. 2014
I'm a big Jo Nesbo/Harry Hole fan but must admit to finding this first book a difficult read. Taking Harry out of the Scandinavian setting doesn't work well for me and I fell grateful that this book was not actually published FIRST in the UK as I doubt if I'd have bothered with the series if that had been the case. The plot is thin to say the least with a lot of rather boring padding about Aborigine customs and culture. I had 'outed' the suspect by three quarters through. Harry's alcoholism is also described ad nauseum. Overall a big let down when compared to subsequent offerings.

One Night: Promised (One Night series)
One Night: Promised (One Night series)
by Jodi Ellen Malpas

2.0 out of 5 stars One long long long long night....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, 1 Aug. 2014
First things first. I have never read any of the 'Fifty Shades Books' or anything else by this author so came to it with a blank page so to speak. Its not really my kind of thing either but just felt intrigued by the cover 'blurb' and who doesn't want to read something vaguely 'hot' now and again (if its well written)? Well....its ok I suppose. Vaguely charismatic hero with a past, so far so cliche ridden. However, I too found him difficult to like. His obsession with holding the girl by the nape of her neck-weird or what? His obsession with order and cleanliness, his coolness-apart from when he's wrenching mind blowing orgasms from her. He does not live and breathe on the page. The only surprise-his profession and hatred of lifts-came late in the heavily padded out book. I questioned also what on earth he saw in 'Livy' who has little intelligence or class and his obsession with her seems false. There were few characters to like really- Livy the oversexed heroine was very one dimensional, immature and tiresome, Greg, the regulation gay guy in the plot was irritating, and the worst? Nan- an octogenarian with a nineteen year olds mindset and vocabulary. Sorry-this was a rather silly little book that made me realise just why I've avoided this poorly written genre. the words pathetic and bandwaggon spring to mind-I really think that less padding out-its going to be a trilogy after all-would have improved things no end-another two books to draw this story to its inevitable wedding bells and babies conclusion with some BDSM and angst thrown in for good measure will be a test indeed.

Heroes and Viliains: Attila the Hun (digipack) [DVD] [Region 2] (English audio)
Heroes and Viliains: Attila the Hun (digipack) [DVD] [Region 2] (English audio)
Dvd ~ Michael Maloney
Offered by Tom-Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware-Polish voice over may put you off, 11 July 2014
Attila was one of a series titled Heroes and Villains produced by the BBC and is very good. This DVD , while having the original English soundtrack also has a Polish voiceover which did detract a little on first viewing. The product was advertised as having English audio which I presumed meant English soundtrack-I had not expected the voiceover, so this does need to be made clearer in the product description. For the price however I can put up with it-it is quite easy on the ear and you can just about get most of the English soundtrack. Good cast-Rory McCann and Michael Maloney- and a fast pace make it enjoyable.

Blood Creek [DVD]
Blood Creek [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Blood Creek [DVD] (DVD)
Bought on a whim by a Michael Fassbender fan-should not have bothered. It is dreadful. I have no problem with gory if the film is good enough but this was appalling. Disposed of very quickly with no regrets. Glad I didn't pay much.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10