Profile for German > Reviews

Content by German

German

Bad Samaritans: The Guilty Secrets of Rich Nations and the Threat to Global Prosperity
by Ha-Joon Chang

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read and a good revision of economical history, 22 Mar 2011
I bought this book by chance and have to say that I was completely surprised by it's content. I was born and raised in a third world country in South America, then did a PhD in Europe and worked a little bit so I have a view on both worlds and find the content of this book very accurate, according to my own experience. What this book tells is the story of how third world countries had to struggle to survive using the rules imposed by rich countries. Many people is convinced that we always have to do as they said but recently, after years of using that formula, some countries started listening to new ideas and tried (and are still trying) to brake the vicious circle they are into.
This books explains in easy terms why is that those formulas were not working and why they are appealing to the rich countries. Thus why they impose them on the poor countries.
For people living in rich countries this book can show them the cost of their high standards of living and once they know they will be able to try to change things. This books also shows how the rich countries can grow while the poor countries also do it. So it is not an apolitical view, on the contrary, I see it as a message of hope. The more we know the more we can change.