Profile for Roslyn Findlay > Reviews

Content by Roslyn Findlay

Roslyn Findlay "MedReader" (Turkey)

An Acre Of The Dordogne
An Acre Of The Dordogne
Price: 1.39

1.0 out of 5 stars A truly awful book, 27 Jan 2014
I was hoping for a well written book about life in rural france. Instead I found a very badly written diatribe full of bitterness about a failed marriage. This man has no self awareness and is incapable of telling a story. The narrative is rambling and disjointed. Nothing of interest happens to him.and yet he is utterly self obsessed and we are treated to endless comments about how terrible his wife is. At the end of the book he apologises to his three sons for failing them, he should apologise to his readers too for he has most certainly failed them. Please don't write another

The Long and Whining Road
The Long and Whining Road
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh out loud account, 3 Nov 2013
I am usually reluctant to read the type of travel book which features the author and a bicycle or a donkey or a sofa as they always seem to miss the entire point of travelling, to have wonderful experiences and open up the mind.

But this book, despite featuring a VW camper van is a joy to read. The story of a family's of five, travelling the world is enlightening, very well written and poignant.

There were many times when I laughed out loud, and others when I shared the authors frustrations and exasperation.

I have enjoyed reading about this wonderfully adventurous family, despite the title, they are not given to whining but are amazingly upbeat and optimistic. . Thoroughly recommend this, it would make. A great Christmas present.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 11 Aug 2013
I am always sceptical about the claims many of the so- called miracle products make but Nailtiques really is quite amazing. I have NEVER been able to grow my nails. I have tried so many strengthening products in the past and was always disappointed. My nails split, flake and break very easily.

After just three Days of using Nailtiques I noticed a huge difference. My nails were much stronger and had started to grow. Now after a month of use I have the nails I always dreamt of. They are long, strong and healthy. The bottle is small but even after a month of regular use it is still more than three quarters full so it's good value for money. I recommended this 100% to anyone who longs for strong, healthy nails. It really does work miracles.

Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers)
Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers)
Price: 1.82

1.0 out of 5 stars Want a good read? Don't buy this., 8 July 2013
What a disappointment. Poorly written, unbelievable plot and weak characterisation.this book was stilted and I found none of the characters sufficiently interesting to care what happened to any of them.

Taking Control Of Anxiety
Taking Control Of Anxiety

3.0 out of 5 stars Taking Control of Anxiety, 7 April 2013
Useful explanations and techniques which will reassure many anxiety sufferers, but similar to many other books on the market. Written in a very simple clear style.

One, Two ... He is coming for you (Rebekka Franck Book 1)
One, Two ... He is coming for you (Rebekka Franck Book 1)
Price: 2.05

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, predictable and banal., 24 Jan 2013
The author is billed as a 'best selling writer', she must have a very imaginative publicist. I bought this book because I am a great fan of Scandinavian crime fiction and admire the subtle plotting, elegant use of language and stunning imagery found in so many of the books of this genre.

I have probably read over 100 books by various Scandinavian writers and until now, despite huge differences in style, had never come across an absolute cud.

This was such a disappointment. The language is stilted and the grammar is appalling. It is littered with mistakes which should have been picked up by any half awake editor. There are so many ridiculous mistakes that I found myself concentrating on these, not on the plot.

The plot is a rehash of dozens of third rate thrillers story lines. It didn't grip me for a moment and was so predictable that I even began to wonder if I had read it before.

I didn't bother finishing it. Because the author had not drawn me into the story in any way, I had no interest in knowing what happened to any of the characters.

There is so much good Scandinavian crime writing available it seems a great shame that someone might read this as their first foray into Scandinavian fiction and be put off or life.

Old Flames (Frederick Troy 2)
Old Flames (Frederick Troy 2)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars John Lawton does it again, 2 Nov 2012
I am not sure that I have read the John Lawton novels in the correct order but since coming across him in a kindle special offer, I have eagerly read each book. These are fast paced, superbly well written thrillers, set in the period immediately before, during and after WW2 .

His particular talent lies in creating such believable and exciting fiction by interweaving real figures of the day with his own extraordinary cast of characters. Using the known political events and intrigues of the day as background for the drama which unfolds in each novel, he produces plots which hold the attention from first to last page.

I recommend these novels to anyone who wants not just a good read but a book which will intellectually challenge and stimulate as well.

Riptide
Riptide
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced political theiller, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Riptide (Kindle Edition)
John Lawton has not yet put a foot wrong. Each of his novels is well plotted, meticulously researched and superbly written. His ability to capture the flavour of the period , interweaving real and fictional characters in taut, fast paced action that is both believable and compelling puts him in a league of his own. A combination of thriller and killer, spiced with the political intrigues of the day, played out on a national and international stage,with a main character who grows in stature with each novel make these books stand head and shoulders above the usual thriller genre. I have thoroughly enjoyed each one and eagerly await the next.