Profile for Rebecca C > Reviews

Rebecca C (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Drowning Lesson
The Drowning Lesson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed after having enjoyed 'Daughter' so much. Obnoxious characters., 9 May 2016
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed 'Daughter', thought would try Jane Shemilt again. Unfortunately was very disappointed. While it was a page turner, the main characters were obnoxious, the kids were pretty obnoxious and the story didn't really hang together. I got the Kindle version as well where proof reading had clearly been lacking - loads of spelling mistakes. Left me with an unpleasant taste in my mouth after reading - real shame after having enjoyed 'Daughter' so much.

Motion Sand® Castle Bucket Playset
Motion Sand® Castle Bucket Playset
Offered by net_price_direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect indoors version of sand for crafty kids, 22 Nov. 2015
Fantastic product - kids love it and it is slightly less messy than the real thing. The only real negative I found was that you need to find an enclosed 'playmat/surface' unless you want it getting everywhere and losing half of it. We ended up using a bucket lid. It is fascinating the way the sand 'moves' after you put it down after you have been moulding it in your hands. It is great for crafting and the kids loved the supplied shapes which were easily used with the sand. Would recommend.

The Girl With No Past: A gripping psychological thriller
The Girl With No Past: A gripping psychological thriller
by Kathryn Croft

3.0 out of 5 stars Increasingly less convincing the further you go......, 22 Nov. 2015
Read courtesy of Net Galley. I have read a lot of very compelling thrillers recently but this wasn't one of them for me. Although I did find it difficult to put down, the story left an increasingly bad taste in my mouth the further into it I got. I found some elements really distasteful (you'll know which) and unnecessary. Other elements I found unbelievable e.g. the obsession with the teacher for no really tangible reason. Yes, it does leave you guessing and there are several twists which are well crafted. However, I found it increasingly less convincing the further I got into it.

The Good Neighbour
The Good Neighbour

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - interesting subject area and well told, 5 Oct. 2015
Really loved this book - finished it in 2 days which is rare for me. Told in such a way that it reels you in and you really want to know what happens next. Having lived in Eastbourne previously, was great also from a personal point of view that this was based in Brighton, Eastbourne, Portslade and Seaford and the author clearly knows the area. Narrative is split between the two neighbours and the son and works really well. Difficult to comment too much without giving things away. The only slight negative is I was left wanting to know more about what happened in Cath's previous employment which was strongly hinted at and you can make an educated guess but was hoping that would be explained in more detail at the end. However, that is only a tiny comment. This book is excellent, well worth the read and I will definitely be looking out for more titles from this author.

The Good Girl: An addictively suspenseful and gripping thriller
The Good Girl: An addictively suspenseful and gripping thriller

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me - characters completely unlikeable, 24 Sept. 2015
Afraid I absolutely hated this (having loved Pretty Baby). Found the characters unlikeable from the start and had to drag myself back to this book to read it which is never a good sign. Ended up giving up 75% of the way through. PIty as I loved Pretty Baby.

Pretty Baby
Pretty Baby

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, believable, well told., 24 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Pretty Baby (Kindle Edition)
Excellent - very well told from different characters' narratives. Gripping and believable. Heartrending too. Very good at dropping certain clues along the way but leaving you guessing as to the relevance and potential meaning until later on in the book. Really liked it.

Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro 082 Car Seat Sunshine Yellow
Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro 082 Car Seat Sunshine Yellow

4.0 out of 5 stars Great car sear that is worth the money - great colour choices too....., 15 Sept. 2015
Bought this after extensive research and a friend having purchased one. Like the design and the choice of colours (have 2, one yellow, one turquoise). It seems expensive but has great reviews on Which and will last until they are 11 which makes the cost seem more reasonable. Ultimately, if it helps keep them safe in an accident, it is worth it, for me anyway. It was very easy to install and the kids love it - they can climb into them easily and they are using 'adult' seatbelts which seems a big thing for them. There is a 'foot rest' bit which extends at the bottom of the seat but it doesn't recline in any way therefore it always looks a bit uncomfortable if they fall asleep in it. However, they never complain so can't be that bad. Overall, we have had these seats for nearly a year now (kids aged 4 and 5) and can't fault them. Would recommend.

Daughter
Daughter

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely loved it - found it very absorbing from the very ..., 15 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I just finished this book yesterday. I absolutely loved it - found it very absorbing from the very beginning and was one of the those books, which although the subject matter was sad, I connected with the characters and almost felt bereft when the book ended and had to leave them. I didn't feel that the book had two halves and dragged and I really didn't mind the detail about the art - could understand the contemplation with the loss she has had to suffer. I did wonder how it was going to end - so many books are wrecked by a bad ending. However, I thought the ending worked for the book. The twists and turns had me utterly absorbed and I didn't think any of them were far fetched. Yes, how could a daughter treat her mother like that but it certainly happens in the most normal of families so didn't think this was beyond the realms of possibility. I think this was a brilliant debut and I will definitely be looking out for more books from this author.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not the best, 30 Jun. 2015
Well written book but didn't leave me feeling 'wow' at the end - can't really put my finger on why - perhaps it is because the main character isn't particularly likeable and there are a few red herrings in the book.

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but pity about the ending - let me feeling a bit cheated, 30 Jun. 2015
I really liked this book all the way through - the perspective is fascinating and well written. However, I found the ending a complete let down - (spoiler alert) - they found the body but I still wanted to know who killed her, how and why. Felt very unsatisfied at the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7