Profile for Steve > Reviews

LG CM3330WDAB 40W 2.1 Channel Wireless Micro Hi-Fi System - White
LG CM3330WDAB 40W 2.1 Channel Wireless Micro Hi-Fi System - White
Offered by electricshop UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Packs a lot in a small box, 27 Jun 2014
I purchased this unit as an alternative to what I consider an overpriced competitor and I haven't been disappointed.

First of all, you won't get close to the sound quality of top quality hi-fi equipment or a pair of decent monitor speakers. However, things have improved in recent years and it is very impressive for the size...my only gripe being that a decent bass is difficult in a small unit and that you can get different perceptions of quality if you sit with your eye line below the unit rather than say above it. The speakers are underneath and therefore it sounds better to me if the unit sits higher than you are sitting.

In terms of features, it plays CDs, has a DAB radio, an FM radio, plays MP3 from a connected MP3 player via a USB socket or from a USB stick (FAT32 formatted and only up to 999 songs...which is a strange limitation). The unit is Bluetooth enabled and LG provide a handy app for Apple and Android. I use the Android version to control the unit, play MP3 files off my tablet through the device and also to listen to internet radio from TuneIn Radio.

The remote control is slim and neat using only a flat button cell to power it. It feels well made (so does the whole unit and it looks great too).

One reviewer notes that the time is not visible all of the time and this is correct. You have to press a button to see the time and it forgets if you unplug the unit completely.

The unit has a few other features worthy of note. It has a power save option so you can set the unit to turn off after a while. You can use a connected USB stick to record music. It has soft-touch controls on top of the unit for basic operation. It has some pre-set equaliser options but I found Natural to generally be the best. You can re-order the DAB radio stations.

I am very happy with this unit at the price and can recommend it. It looks great on the shelf and fits better than I hoped as the unit is not very deep front to back. If I was to be really picky, I would say that the unit could have had Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth and connected direct to the internet to pick up internet radio stations, but that is only a small gripe when the app works so well.

Sorbothane Sorbo-Pro Total Control Insoles - Size UK8
Sorbothane Sorbo-Pro Total Control Insoles - Size UK8
Offered by BabyMad Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Erm, should last longer than 2 months, 6 Jan 2014
I purchased these to get more support for running and found them a good fit for my needs. The product seems well made and comfortable to wear but my immediate concern was the design of the product with a plastic heel support (the black bit) glued to the bottom.

Unfortunately, I find these a little too heavy for running and the plastic part has significantly detached from the rest of the sole, meaning they are almost worn out after 2 months of intermittent use.

If you were buying these for long walks, I would say they will work a treat but I don't believe these are suitable for the sporting activity suggested.

Motogp 13
Motogp 13
Offered by FUN-N-MORE

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect but for a few bugs, 31 Aug 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Motogp 13 (DVD-ROM)
I don't agree with some of the reviews here. There are some intermittent bugs in the game as mentioned e.g. half screen during loading screens, rider missing from the bike sometimes during a replay and replay controls not working. The graphics are decent but not outstanding, which is probably the result of a console port to DX9. However, this is a very good game for a number of reasons:

1) Attention to detail with all the bikes, riders, tracks and locations accurately modelled
2) Fan content including pictures, videos, track layouts, ability to ride as riders from previous years (free DLC) etc
3) Patch 1 fixes some of the problems leaving just the three issues above as far as I can tell
4) Relatively realistic handling model, tyre wear, weather effects (e.g. drying line on a wet track), clear differentiation in riding styles
5) AI is not the best I have ever seen but for anyone who has played other motorcycle racing games, I would say this is a marked improvement...AI goes for a gap, AI rides defensively, AI slipstreams past, AI braking late, AI making mistakes etc. I will admit that they do occasionally take you out or bump into you but I have seen far worse.
6) Career mode very much like the Codemasters F1 games
7) Progression through levels unlocks content
8) It can be fun to leave huge black tyre marks on corner exit, see the rear wheel skipping off the ground under hard braking, pulling wheelies, elbowing other riders out of the way
9) You will crash a lot...but you have a 'flashback' option to rewind and undo your mistake
10) Difficulty is customisable not just for the AI but for the handling model as well. With all the will in the world, independent front and rear brakes and gear changes can be a challenge with a game pad.

I am very happy with this game. I particularly love car and motorcycle racing and associated games and I have really enjoyed playing this because of the attention to detail and the overall feeling that a few people put a lot of love into this game.

The Tomorrow War (PC DVD)
The Tomorrow War (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, sadly not happy with this, 23 May 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Tomorrow War (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
I bought this game on a whim because it has been so many years since I last played a decent space combat game.

Unfortunately, this game is not very good.

Graphically, it is a DX9 title but it looks poor even for that.

Detail is scarce, there is no tutorial, it does not recognise common game controllers and the cut scenes are a throwback to 10 years before. Whilst this looks relatively new, it seems to be a re-release of a title from 4-5 years ago.

I cannot recommend this game. It is way below modern standards.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but perhaps I expected too much, 24 Jan 2013
I wanted some closed back headphones for listening to a hi-fi or using my tablet. At this price, a pair of Sennheiser headphones looks like a bargain. My experience of Sennheiser has been that they are better than anything else at the same price point so I bought the HD419.

I have a high quality audio set up at home. I wouldn't say I am an audiophile but when I want music I do serious listening, not just background music. These headphones failed to meet my expectations.

Pros:
1) Sturdy build
2) Comfortable
3) Relatively light for their size
4) Powerful bass
5) Two year warranty

Cons:
1) Midrange? The bass overwhelms the sound
2) Only a 3.5mm plug with no adaptor
3) Look cheap

On the whole, probably good for the price. I found them more suitable for pop/dance/hip-hop music rather than rock/metal/alternative, which is due to the stong bass that to me muffles the midrange or 'drive' in any rock music...I tried to dial out with the tone controls/equaliser. They also seem better optimised for downloaded music than hi-fi, boosting the often weak sound of digital music.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 (PC CD)
Euro Truck Simulator 2 (PC CD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual choice of game, 10 Dec 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Let me start by saying that this is not my usual choice of game. I generally play FPS or racing games, typically fast-paced action. These types of game lean towards arcade. ETS2 is most definitely a simulator.

I had not heard of the developer but had read a lot of good reviews about this title. I did yearn for something more 'realistic'. The PC was very good at this many years ago with military flight simulators and other titles that were highly technical.

ETS2 is most definitely a success. You control everything in the truck right down to the ignition and light settings. I started off as a driver in Manchester and you can quickly take a paid job driving freight on familiar roads like the M6, M56 and M62. I can make out a couple of the main landmarks in Manchester. You may think it is dull to drive for hours on end across the country but the time is speeded up and the journeys fly by.

Graphically, this looks like an OpenGL title so it doesn't have the gloss of a DX11 title. Nevertheless, the frame rate is good and you can enable lots of detail, anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing. I patched the game right away from the website and so have not seen some of the issues mentioned in other reviews. Cars generally stayed away from me whilst driving, even in city centres. The controls were readable and the sat nav works pretty well.

I do think the developer has cut some corners with the road network (for example, motorway exits often looking exactly the same) and it can be irritating to receive a fine for driving through a red traffic light or not using headlights appropriately. However, I can forgive these for the speed of install, low load times, user-friendly interface, decent graphics, attention to detail with the truck itself and the sense of achievement when you successfully reach your destination. ETS2 exceeded my expectations.

Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Internet Adapter
Netgear Universal Wi-Fi Internet Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as straightforward as it looks, but once set up it works, 23 Sep 2012
Let me just say that the WPS didn't work with my home hub and so the easy option for setting up was out of the window after the first five minutes.

The instructions tell you to connect the device to a USB port on your PC and type in a URL to your browser. It just so happens that you also need to connect the device to an Ethernet port on your PC (assuming you have one). This was the only way to configure a wireless connection to your router.

To be fair, Netgear software has improved a lot and the wizard took a few minutes to configure the device and connect to the router.

Since the initial set up, this adapter has worked perfectly and connects my BT Vision box to my wireless router at the other side of the house. I have ditched the Powerline adapters that I was previously using as they were sometimes troublesome to connect to each other. It connects via the Ethernet port and is powered by the USB port. I have not needed to use the included plug for the mains.

A good product once set up but beware that you may not get it to work with WPS (this seems to work Netgear to Netgear but not necessarily other routers).

SATA 3 6Gbs LOCKING SATA High Speed Hard Drive Cable Lead 45cm
SATA 3 6Gbs LOCKING SATA High Speed Hard Drive Cable Lead 45cm
Offered by PC Outlet \ Thali Outlet

5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you want?, 14 Aug 2012
Cheap, works right away, delivers the speed expected of SATA III.

Other cables at twice (or more) the price were inferior.

Head Nano Titanium TI-Lite Adult Tennis Racket rrp£50
Head Nano Titanium TI-Lite Adult Tennis Racket rrp£50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, good service, 14 Aug 2012
Rackets are well packaged with a half case.

This is pretty good for amateur use and relatively light for the price. I do think it lacks a little 'zing' when striking the ball but I am not good enough to reach the limitation of the product.

Anker 1500mAh Li-ion Battery for Nokia 5230 / 5233 / c3-00 / 5800 /xpressmusic Fits BL-5J - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Higher capacity than original battery, 14 Aug 2012
Not a Nokia battery, but delivers 1500mAh rather than 1320mAh for the original battery in my Nokia 5230.

The first charge didn't appear to hold for long and I thought the product might be a waste of money. However, after the second charge the life was significantly longer and went for a while on a single bar on the battery indicator, whereas the original battery often died at 2 bars or as it moved onto 1 bar.

Happy with the product.