Profile for misfit > Reviews

Sistema Soup Mug, 656 ml
Sistema Soup Mug, 656 ml
Price: 3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars a useful thing, 27 Sep 2012
I use it at work for soup. A colleague has asked me to get him one as it is very convenient. I just use it to put soup from a can straight into it and then into the microwave. holds a tin of soup easily. i don't carry soup in it to work so could not say if it leaks or not. however, it is big enough to use a spoon in it if you do not want to sip your soup. it also stops me eating rubbish from the local chain bakers and the like. Will help my waistline. with winter coming, a hot cup of soup is the order of the day with some bread for dunking.

Aquabourne Wind up & Solar Radio AM/FM- Features: Clock, Torch, Alarm, Splashproof and MP3 or Phone Charging Function

1.0 out of 5 stars worked well for a little while, 21 July 2012
Initially, i couldn't figure out how to set the clock. The instructions are in English but the radio is not. So, at the base of the unit is a switch which turns on the thing. The left hand dial as you look at it face on turns on/off the radio and increases/decreases the volume. the right hand dial tunes it to the stations. If you turn the switch on the base on, then set the clock. then turn the radio on and off at your leisure. the winding handle is to the rear and a solar panel is on the top of the unit. i have only given the radio a couple of winds as the solar charging has worked really well. i leave it on a window cill.

It seems pretty sturdy but the buttons are in Spanish i think - hence the slight initial operational confusion. I cannot connect my mobile to it. the connection does not fit HTCs. however, that wasn't why i got this unit. no batteries is why i got it. It tunes in quite smoothly and the sound is pretty good. i have had no trouble picking stations up clearly. I will take it on holiday for the beach and use it in the accommodation. I have found that holiday properties tend to have either no radio or a rubbish one. Worth getting for the money and no need to learn Spanish or whatever it is as you will get the gist of it fairly quickly anyway. On the whole, a sound little radio that looks like it can take a few knocks and works well.

UPDATE
Well, after very little use, the solar power to the batteries gave up. it can still be wound up though but the radio only works for a short spell when it is wound up. therefore, the batteries will no longer take a charge rendering the thing fairly useless. what a shame. i had hopes for this as it seemed sturdy despite the buttons being in Spanish. however, it is not at all reliable and really a waste of money in the long term. From 4 stars to 1 as it has no durability. it never charged my phone either.

Car Sun Visor 10 x CD / DVD / VCD Holder
Car Sun Visor 10 x CD / DVD / VCD Holder
Offered by ExpressPro
Price: 3.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't have the little wallet, 21 July 2012
It is a cheap and useful product. it fitted the visor and it holds the CDs fine so no complaint there. it seems to be a reasonable quality which, for the price, is surprising as i didn't expect much. One thing though, it didn't have the little pocket at the end as per the product photo above. It surprised me that I even noticed this as I bought it for cds but strangely i actually wanted it to have that little pocket to put some cards in - breakdown card, national trust card, that sort of thing.

The holder has elasticated straps to hold it onto the visor. one each end. it fits fairly snugly. CDs fit well and seem to stay in place with no difficulty. They go in and come out easily enough for use as well. For the price, a good product as I get fed up carrying jewel cases rattling about in the car and my favourite CDs are now close at hand and I do not need to fish about in the glove compartment when I want one. Very convenient.

On reflection though, I did want that little pocket as shown above as remember now that I scouted around amazon looking for one of these and the additional pocket made me opt for this one in place of other ones by other vendors. So, really, I feel a little bit cheated. That's not good is it? Don't you expect the product you order? after all, I didn't actually get the product above and this review therefore is not actually about the product above but about another similar product that comes from who knows where? That means that you must pay no attention to this review unless you do as I did and order it and actually get the one i got which is similar but not the same? Du Du Du Du Du Do Do Do Du. So, 5 stars for the product i actually received but as it is not the product listed, i can't comment on the one with the little pocket. This reminds me of those lucky dips at a fete. Pay a quid, dip your hand in the box and get what you win. Think of it along those lines and then, like me, you won't bother returning something that cost a couple of quid.

VW GOLF MK4 (98-02) Rear Aero Flat Wiper Blade
VW GOLF MK4 (98-02) Rear Aero Flat Wiper Blade

4.0 out of 5 stars wipes clean, 5 April 2012
my golf had a rear wiper that dragged noisily across the glass. The sort of noise that you cannot ignore. Anyway, I have used Bosch aero blades which work very well but just wanted a cheap wiper and came across this one. For the money, i thought it was worth a try and it couldn't be worse that the one on the car. It is reasonably well made, easy to fit and worked a treat. it gripped the screen well and didn't miss at all when used. i cannot say how long the rubber will last given that it has excellent purchase on the glass. It may wear quickly. However, it works very well and is nice and quiet. good riddance to the squealing old wiper. If it does wear out quickly, no problem as it is very cheap.

Trespass Men's Yetti Snow Boot
Trespass Men's Yetti Snow Boot
Price: 26.75 - 43.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Boots, 7 Feb 2012
I bought these boots on the strength of the reviews. I am glad Amazon provides reviews as I have found that most reviewers are honest (except where there is just the one poorly set out review - that is a bit suspicious). Anyway, my own experience of boots comes from using them for fishing mainly. All too often I have bought boots and they have disappointed: They have been too heavy, too cumbersome to drive in, too clumsy to walk in, not waterproof enough, lacking grip, ugly, that sort of thing. I have bought expensive and cheap and tried loads. I have several boots which I have worn only once and knew they would be trouble. I also have a disability (what else do I have you may say) which means that boots can be pretty uncomfortable. However, I am a mere human and my feet get cold and I don't like slipping. These boots are lightweight, didn't really need breaking in, reasonable to look at ( even colleagues have remarked on them positively) comfortable, easy to get on and off, stout yet flexible and the more i use them the more comfortable they get. I am yet to wear them in the rain so cannot say what they are like in a downpour. However, I wore them in the snow and they were fine. They gripped well enough and didn't let in the wet or the cold. I would say that they were a touch snug initially but they soon give a bit so size wise I ordered my usual shoe size. I would recommend a decent pair of thermal socks for the whole package and, surprisingly, there was a free pair that came with the boots which was a nice touch.
For the money, they are, I think, a bit of a bargain. Give them a day or two of use and you will wear them all the time. Thanks to the other reviewers.

UPDATE - now i have had the boots for some time. They get really comfortable to wear. i have had no problems with rain getting in and they feel very warm. I now leave my boots in the boot of the car to be at hand when needed. The boots have held up well and given that i can find myself on a cold and wet muddy riverbank, they are tested in fairly hard conditions. no issues with quality, wear or durability. i would say that of all the boots i have owned - berghaus, timberland, dms - i could go on, these are the best i have and the others have cost substantially more than these as well. i bought a pair of ice grippers so am pretty much ready for the coming winter. nothing more embarrassing than slipping on ice onto ones posterior.

AIWA PX-E860 - Turntable - silver
AIWA PX-E860 - Turntable - silver

4.0 out of 5 stars works well via tv, 20 Jan 2012
I bought this to play some of the old vinyls having become heartily fed up with CDs and mp3 etc. Don't get me wrong i use pretty much all the electronic gadgetry common today - eg, cowan i audio DAB, decent htc phone, laptops all that sort of thing but nothing gives me the feel of how i knew records to be. Being old enough to have grown up on vinyl (imagine no cds or mp3's what did we do) LPs, singles, EPs etc I became nostalgic for the sound I knew. OK, in my day, I used separates:- turntable, amp, receiver, tape deck etc with decent speakers. Now, I didn't fancy buying it all again and unless you know your stuff, you will, and I mean will, buy some old toffee along the way. Now, my son's girlfriend bought him a modern all in one record player - steepletone i think and best avoided in my opinion but suit yourself? Now, the steepletone would not have passed muster in my day (ghastly thing I think) but is fine for those who want to play the odd record.

I prefer the traditional turntable and knew I could attach this particular model to my TV or other midi system as it has a built in pre-amp. What does this mean to novices like me who want to play vinyl again on the cheap; let me tell you: Flick the switch to on, plug in your RCA cables - red and white - into say your decent telly (cables come with the unit), switch your telly to the appropriate setting/mode and away you go; play your vinyl via your telly. I assume like me you have laid out for a telly with a few rca connection ports. a bit like plugging your games console or dvd into your telly but without a hdmi or scart lead. Basically, the rca cable is to use the speakers on your telly or other thing with speakers like a midi system. Now, many turntables will not do this as they do not have the built in pre-amp equaliser thing. I am not technical. a Traditional turntable will need an amp (more money). This turntable is not manufactured anymore I believe. I think they date to about 2004/6 and were manufactured to make it easy to plug the turntable into another device without the need for an amp. For the money, a very good purchase. Lets face it, for about 30 quid you can plug this thing into a telly, midi system, laptop etc and away you go. Now, of corse you will not replicate the sort of sound I grooved to 30 or 40 years ago as we had speakers as big as doors then. But, for a nice way of listening to vinyl without laying out a fortune I recommend this product. Lets face it, your not going to be out a fortune, it is nicer than the usb turntables i think and it is a real turntable and not a faux one. I feel quite content now and will listen to some very cool sounds the way i used to - vinyl is back and I think we all know it should never have gone away from the mainstream. 4 stars because nothing man made is perfect. My cats are pretty near perfect though.

Lloytron B473 Polyphonic Door Chime
Lloytron B473 Polyphonic Door Chime
Price: 10.75

1.0 out of 5 stars mine didn't work, 23 Dec 2011
What can i say. I got it to replace one that i had bought for a couple of quid from a well known supermarket which still works. I wanted the novelty / nuisance factor for christmas to play jingles. My cheap one doesn't do that. Anyway, I put in the batteries, actuated the bell push battery which was the wrong way aound and tried it out. it worked about a centimetre away from the unit but no further. my other one works all over the house and in the garden. it also has a belt clip which this one didn't have. So, i consigned it to the drawer. i really couldn't be bothered to repackage it, download the return form, take it to the post office etc. Yours may work and perhaps i am unlucky. Now, i am not complaining about the retailer here. it was sealed plastic wrapped and sent well packaged - they weren't to know it was a duffer. So, no reflection on the seller just the product.

Epson Stylus Sx235W All-In-One Printer with High Speed Wifi (Print, Copy and Scan)

4.0 out of 5 stars Now that i have got it to work, 23 Dec 2011
I am reasonably competent at connecting things like this but i had a devil of a time with this printer. I tried everything I could think of and just at the point of giving up, I tried one last time. I eventually got the wireless printer to recognise the router or vice versa whichever you prefer. However, even though they were now talking to one another, it would not print. in the end, I resorted to the web site, the last bastion of the failure I find. It was hopeless. Save your energy. I then scouted about a bit for better information and eventually went for the tried and trusted delete the lot and reload the software. Lo it did work and fingers x it continues. A fine little printer and with some nice touches for the money. The control panel pulls out and tilts which is pretty good, it is matt black and so looks good. I have scanned documents and enlarged them. i have used good quality paper for legal docs and it is fine. Text is crisp and clear. I haven't printed any images yet but will do so. All in all, if you get it to work, not easy, it is a nice piece of kit.

KOALA PRODUCTS NGT 42" Carp Landing Net + Quick Lock Entending Handle
KOALA PRODUCTS NGT 42" Carp Landing Net + Quick Lock Entending Handle

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for carp, 15 Dec 2011
I haven't actually caught a fish yet since buying this net. With my last net, i caught plenty. Now, this has nothing to do with the net just my poor fishing ability. Luck, skill, knowledge and experience have all escaped me recently. Still, it is nice to be out on the bank. I would say the net is fine for carp as well as barbel, bream, tench. Too large for silvers although i don't really fish for them save the odd bream that comes along. Anyway, a good session net. Fine for most carp waters. The net itself is reasonably softly meshed and will probably be fine on regulated waters where net mesh size is applied. The handle is fine just extend and twist to secure. Reasonably lightweight. handle is about 6ft i would say. I would recommend a net float if you are buying. helps when it is only you landing your fish. I would say that if you are buying for a young angler, this net may be too big particularly if they are river fishing. of course, this depends on what type of fishing they do and competency. it is really a carp net i would use a smaller net on a river personally. Not the best quality in the world but good value at the price.

French Connection Mens Cardigan Darkest Blue Large
French Connection Mens Cardigan Darkest Blue Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Good grment, 15 Dec 2011
I do not wear cardis per se. However I found this one to be comfortable, well made, smart and not old fashioned looking. Some cardis look a bit Val Doonican. No offense to the great man but cardigans can be a bit aging. this is modern, nice material, soft, looks good quality and is for the money. Looks good with T shirts, shirts etc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9